Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lymph nodes - Benders, Blixer, Anyone please help
      #173756 - 02/06/06 05:12 PM

I am completely freaked out right now about lymph nodes. I read everywhere that lymph nodes are not the best way to see if you're infected but I'm freaking and i need help. I've never had a test and my only expsure would have been 15 years ago; wouldn't i have had something else come up by now? i get my blood drawn a lot and have CBCs and the WBC count has always been good - never out of balance. But i have about 3 lymph nodes that I can feel. I had my doctor feel them and he doesn't think antyhign of it. He has encouraged me to get tested b/c he thinks after this long something else would have come up. I have no family to rely upon and no partner to give me support. I'm beside myself, please help me.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
Re: Lymph nodes - Benders, Blixer, Anyone please help new
      #173758 - 02/06/06 05:22 PM

Lymph nodes swell for a number of reasons. They are not a good indication of anything except that your immune system is working. I've had swollen lymph nodes off and on all of my life. Just part of the normal immune process. So don't freak out!

No matter what, I'm now a believer in regular HIV testing. I wish I would have been tested at least every year. My opinion, but I think changing the stigma of HIV and encouraging lots of people to be tested regularly is one of the few ways to really reduce the spread.

Ok, off of my soapbox and back to your lymph nodes... Before being diagnosed I had LOTS of lymph nodes swollen up in several of the lymph node beds. Not just three or four. And even with that, my doctor said there are LOTS of reasons for nodes to swell.

Ease your worry and go get tested. I know it can be intimidating if you are alone and have no one. Thats where I've been. But I'm glad I know now. If you are negative then you can go on with life and just protect yourself.

Hope this helps some.

David

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173763 - 02/06/06 05:46 PM

Thank you so very much. I honestly don't think I will ever get tested. I'm always just waiting for something really bad to happen for me to find out that way. It's totally crazy thinkin, I know. Why do you say you are alone too? Does your family know about your status? I know my family wouldn't talk to me again. I already feel crappy about myself anyway and to add HIV to it just will make me feel like the scum of the earth. I actually get comfort in thinking about getting a gun and ending it all. The afterlife (if there is one) has got to be betther than here. Don't you think the odds of my having it are slim after this long? I know there are LTNP, but i think that's only like 1% or soemthing. i just wanna feel happy.

Blixer
Legend

#173768 - 02/06/06 06:17 PM

My family doesn't know. I've only known for 4 weeks. I can tell you if I had to do it all over again I would get tested regularly. Not getting tested regularly was the worst thing I ever did. Like you, I was always waiting for something bad to happen. Nothing bad happened. Even what led me to the doctor wasn't bad. I haven't felt bad. I haven't been sick. And I can tell you that there is life after HIV. Yes, it introduces a lot of unknown, but I've always said I can handle what I know. It's the unknown that gets me. Had I waited for something bad to happen it might have been too late. At least now I know and I can get treatment and most of the medical professionals say to count on living a normal life expectancy with treatment.

I would still encourage you to get tested. The day I went to my doctor and she decided to do the HIV screening I was actually planning on stopping at Walgreens after my appointment and getting a home HIV test. I really wanted to know myself before anyone else knew. That didn't happen for me. But if nothign else I still encourage you to get tested. Even if it is with one of the home tests from a chain drug store. You Fed Ex it out and call in two business days to get your results. Then you know. Then you can quit worrying. Just from what you wrote here, if you don't get tested I speculate that every time you have some sort of "event" that might be a symptom you will be back worrying again.

In answer to your question, I have no family anywhere close and I'm single.

David

--------------------
David

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173772 - 02/06/06 06:38 PM

How long do yuo think you've had it? i'm scared shitless.

Blixer
Legend

#173778 - 02/06/06 06:58 PM

I would not be scared shitless at all. I had my last HIV test 5 years ago. I was negative then. Never make a diagnosis off of symptoms. You are highly likely to be wrong. And like you will read over and over on this board, the ONLY way to know is to be tested.

But I would tell anyone that I think it is a bad idea to wait until you are really sick with something to go to a doctor.

--------------------
David

shadesofgrey
Legend

Reged: 12/02/05
      #173819 - 02/06/06 10:33 PM

after 15 years i would of imagined you would of gotten tested, but that is neither here or nor there, the swelling of lymph nodes is a common thing with the body, hiv is way down on the list , common infections , you irritating them by feeling them all the time, can cause lymph nodes to swell. go to another doctor if you waqnt a second opinion, by all means get yourself tested and dont drive yourself crazy with it. i do agree your cbc after 15 years would reflex something. love and peace

Benders
Fanatic

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Manchester, England
      #173867 - 02/07/06 06:54 AM

I don't think you should worry, i used to get swollen lymphs as a child, years before i contracted hiv, i think most people get them from time to time, you should get tested though if for no other reason than piece of mind. xxx

still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
      #173992 - 02/07/06 06:56 PM

You're freaking out more about not knowing, than just getting tested. Knowing is half the battle. All this stress could be for nothing. Just get tested.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#174649 - 02/11/06 06:16 AM

I had blood drawn for WBC, CBC and HIV tests all on the same day. The WBC and the CBC came back perfectly fine, doctor said I was healthy. One week later the HIV test came back repeatedly reactive, which means HIV+. So what does that tell you? You can have a good WBC & CBC and still be HIV+. Some strains of the virus can take many, many years to show itself, or begin to do damage to your immune system. If you value your health, or your life (after reading your first reply to your post, it seems that you do not) you should get the HIV test. Being HIV+ does NOT make you the scum of the earth. I take offense to that, being HIV+ myself.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#175132 - 02/15/06 08:52 AM

15 years is a long time to have HIV and not suffer a related illness or symptom. I have always had large lymph nodes around my neck and under my chin. All my doctors used to comment on them as a kid. In short... enlarged lymph glands (as a single symptom) mean nothing. There is literally hundreds of conditions that will cause them to enlarge. If you are really worried please go and get an anonymous test. Put your mind at rest.

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #184420 - 04/05/06 03:35 AM

it is because of the lymph nodes that i was told to have a hiv test done . and sure enough i was positive,i was always getting flu and flu like symptoms,just took nightquil and went to bed for years.i had no idea,my hiv was aquired through tattoos at a registered tattoo parlor,and they were done 10 years before i knew anything,i thought i was just getting sick alot because i drank and partied alot,but in fact all i was doing was masking the symptoms and problems with alcohol and drugs,so get tested the sooner the better hope this helps you ,if your postive its better to catch it now early,ive gone through and continue to go through problems because i didnt know for so long,take care of yourself

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6849

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3