Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Coconut Oil
      #173701 - 02/06/06 02:37 PM

Have any of you heard about virgin coconut oil. I was reading a book on it because I'm taking it for another issue and I found mention of it actually being used in Hiv / Aids Research. This book says that it is able to slow down the progression and has also been found to kill hiv in the lab. I just thought it was an interesting tidbit so I wanted to share.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: Coconut Oil new
      #173710 - 02/06/06 03:00 PM

No I have not herad that out yet.....

Maybe thats the answer?? Maybe these Non-Progressors are immune for so long because they go to the movies more than the average joe? Popcorn, thats the ticket!!

I will keep my ears open...

Love
and
Kidding

shadesofgrey
Legend

Reged: 12/02/05
      #173817 - 02/06/06 10:27 PM

you will read about everything killing hiv in the lab, reason, hiv is a very fragile virus , lasting only about 20 seconds in a dry enviroment and not much longer in a wet. the only thing coconut oil will do for you besides making a damn good pina colada is raise your cholesteral. love and peace

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173851 - 02/07/06 12:51 AM

There has been absolutely no research about coconut oil slowing down HIV viral production...sorry. If it worked than it could be used to save the more than 20 million people in Africa who have no access to treatment!

There are a lot of books that make a lot of claims, but they actually do not do the research. Talk to a treatment savvy AIDS activist...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173875 - 02/07/06 08:20 AM

http://www.doh.gov.ph/sars/coconut_oil.htm

Here is a link I found regarding some of research.

Bhammer40
All Star

Reged: 01/17/06
Loc: Alabama
      #174148 - 02/08/06 03:27 PM

Yeah but the heart disease gets em!

--------------------
Diagnosed 11/2005
Last Labs Drawn 10/18/2007
Cd4 906; 49%
VL 189
Still No Meds Yet

Anonymous
Unregistered

#174342 - 02/09/06 01:19 PM

dont dismiss herbal meds before even trying them out. i am in fact from africa and alternative/herbal meds are helping us a lot since western meds are expensive. dont forget that all meds are derived from plant...all of them, you can do your research on that!

ny10001
Grand Master

Reged: 07/08/05
Loc: New York
      #174383 - 02/09/06 05:15 PM

Many things kills many viruses when they're mixed together in a test tube. When coconut oil is ingested, however, the body processes it like all food substances, and it does not make it directly into the blood stream. In the human body, it would have no impact on HIV. You would have to inject it directly into the blood stream...which could be fatal to the person as well as the virus!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#175134 - 02/15/06 08:56 AM

Good luck dude. I can't stomach it. Thought I would give it a go but it turns my stomach... even when hid in thick tomato or laksa soup. There is a lot of info regarding it's ability to damage the outer viral coating so that HIV cannot attach to cells but there has to be a better way.... YUCK! There are also no clinical trials or any real guidlines that would indicate how much you need to take before it is effective.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#175135 - 02/15/06 09:05 AM

The main active ingredient is Lauric acid which does enter the blood stream un-altered and has been shown to damage the outer coating of HIV. I have seen no evidence of coconut oil actually being of benifit though. It's good in theory but all this is based on the content of Lauric acid in mothers breast milk being protective against colds and flu in babies. As far as I'm aware there are no clinical trials that address the effectiveness of Laric acid or the dose required to slow progression. You also have to make sure you get the virgin coconut oil because they aren't heated. Heated oil will be far less effective because the lauric acid is damaged. As one of the other readers said... If it is effective then why isn't it used more widely?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6277

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3