Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> I Just Tested Positive

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

lymph nodes
      #173038 - 02/02/06 05:00 PM

So I've had swollen lymph nodes since mid-November. Thats mainly what concerned me enough to see a doctor, which led up to the discovery of my HIV on the first of December. The swollen nodes are on the back of my head, and on my neck, under my armpits, and pelvic area. They are all soft, painless, and can be moved side-to-side with fingers. They increase and decrease in size slowly and randomly.
If anyone has any information about swollen glands and HIV i ask them to please share... I'd like to know what they mean, how long I can expect to have them, what (if anything) I can do to keep them small. Any and all information regarding lymph nodes in an HIV+ person is welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: lymph nodes new
      #173041 - 02/02/06 05:13 PM

I'm also curious about swollen lymph nodes... with HIV are they normally found throughout the body, or can they be concentrated in one area? I've had swollen glands in my neck for years... occasionally in my armpit but that's it. Would this be normal with HIV?

Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
      #173049 - 02/02/06 06:03 PM

Swollen lymph nodes were what ultimately led me to the doctor too and about on the same time frame except I didn't get my positive results until Jan 9. I have the same situation with them increasing and decreasing in size somewhat. Do you think you were fairly recently infected?

I would also be interested in any insight someone may have on this aspect of things. I had my first bloodwork drawn on Jan 17 and don't have the results back from that yet.

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173131 - 02/03/06 01:16 AM

That's the only symptom i had since October until now and like Blixer, what led me to see a surgeon back in Nov. The surgeon even suggested to excise it to see if it's cancer. Instead i took HIV test and it's poz. I have been looking in almost all the post and thread here just to know more about this. Some site included that in acute symptoms of HIV. Some said that they feel it gets bigger if you continue palpating it (that's what i think too). Mine is on the right side of the neck and behind both ears, not tender but mobile. Not that big but it is visible when i flex/bend my neck on the opposite side. I am also waiting for my numbers. One poz friend told me he had this on his first year. He is now poz for 10 years and it never came back accdg to him. Anyways, i'll see my doctor tommorow for supplements, i'll ask more about this.

.....Blixer keep us posted when you get your labs....ive read most of your post and it seems you are getting along very well with this..you inspire me.

God bless!

kyle

Reged: 01/26/06
      #173132 - 02/03/06 01:25 AM

Re: lymph nodes
02/03/06 01:16 AM
from anonymous. That's me! i forgot to log in. I am praying that your labs will turn out well Blixer.

kyle

Reged: 01/26/06
      #173134 - 02/03/06 01:55 AM

and to add more to this, the sugeon back in November asked me to have chest x-ray since most of the patient (even non HIV) who had chronic lymphnode swelling in the neck area has lung problems because thats the nearest lymph drainage for it but it turned out normal and clear. I've been smoking since 1999 but tried to reduce it to 5 -6 stick per day after being poz (hope in the future completely stop it). Are you guys smokers before? In my best knowledge i was exposed late 2004 or early 2005, if this swelling is an acute symptom why just had it on October 05? when did you think your exposure was? feel free to answer this or not.

God bless.

Benders
Fanatic

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Manchester, England
      #173145 - 02/03/06 05:26 AM

I was exposed in june 2002 i was a heavy smoker then but gave up the day after i found out about 'the HIV' (dec 15th '05), i do have lymph nodes all over my neck, pea sized they don't seem to change in size and as i've only just started to realize they are a symptom, it occurs to me i've probably had them about 2 1/2 years. I did see the doctor at one point but he assured me they were nothing. Should i be worried now?

Blixer
Legend

#173179 - 02/03/06 10:50 AM

Anon... your situation sounds almost exactly like mine, even to the point of being scheduled for a biopsy. And like you, I've seen online where the general lymphoendopathy is associated with acute HIV and not the initial stages. That has scared me a bit because there I can't imagine having been infected very long. Oh well... time will tell a lot...

--------------------
David

Blixer
Legend

#173180 - 02/03/06 10:51 AM

Good to know who it was kyle... and I'll be interested in you keeping us posted too...

--------------------
David

Blixer
Legend

#173181 - 02/03/06 11:04 AM

I had a chest x-ray too and it was clear. I have had a cough since early Novembe though. It improves, then gets slightly worse.... Luckily I"ve never been a smoker though.

--------------------
David

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173234 - 02/03/06 03:26 PM

Yes I am a smoker, for 4 years now. I never thought to associate smoking with my swollen lymph nodes... this is interesting. I also had a chest x-ray which came back clear, and my doc also said I made need to have a biopsy done on one of my lymph nodes to check for cancer. This was before I tested poz.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173235 - 02/03/06 03:31 PM

I think i have been positive for about 5 months now, maybe longer. Only known about it for 2 months. I dont know, would you consider that recently infected?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#173239 - 02/03/06 03:36 PM

Benders, have you only had swollen nodes in your neck? Any under your jaw, or anywhere else? Thanks :)

Blixer
Legend

#173244 - 02/03/06 03:55 PM

I would consider that recently infected as some people go years before they know they are poz...

--------------------
David

Benders
Fanatic

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Manchester, England
      #173250 - 02/03/06 04:48 PM

Yeah i've got quite a big one under my chin, below my tongue and i have one that comes and goes on my tail bone.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6348

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3