Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Teens

Pages: 1
louise
Unregistered

getting tested
      #3506 - 04/07/00 01:01 AM

i am an at risk teen, and i am nervous about getting tested (even though i know i should). i was wondering if anyone could tell me what exactly is involved with getting tested, and where is the best place to get a test. i am most concerned about my parents finding out, and i was wondering if whoever does the test would tell my parents if i were to test +...im moving out in about three months, but dont want to wait that long, and i'm under 18, so would the doctor have any obligation to tell my parents? any info would help, thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gregg
Unregistered

Re: getting tested new
      #3507 - 04/07/00 01:02 AM

Hey there. I understand your nervous. Most major cities have anonymous test centers. If you call information or a local hospital they should be able to refer you to one locally to you.

What is involved is just giving a blood sample.. it only takes a few minutes and sometimes they will even give you a very kewl bandaid.

I believe that at the anonymous test centers, no matter what your age is they are required to withhold your name and identity.. usually what happends is you give them your birthdate and the first 3 letters of your mom's maden name and they use that as an ID for you. When your blood leaves the center to be tested they tag it and to get the results you have to bring back your half of the tag.

The people who work in these centers believe very strongly about having people feel comfortable being tested so they will do everything they can to make sure you get the treatment you diserve.

As long as you stick to one of the anonymous clinics you will be fine.. I believe that if you go to a regular doctor like your family physician they might have to tell your parents.

Best of luck and if you need anyone to chat, you can e-mail me.

Gregg

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4073

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement