Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
wjrmmjr

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: pa
Need advice about my HIV+ partner's depression
      #96252 - 04/22/04 03:04 PM

My boyfriend is HIV+ and just tried to commit suicide by overdosing..he has been drinking and drugging. He is very depressed about his illness. I am very angry that he won't admit to his addiction and get help..but he says if I leave him he will try to do it again. I really don't want to leave him. I want him to get the help he needs. Any advice for me? I am a newcomer here.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Need advice about my HIV+ partner's depression new
      #96308 - 04/22/04 10:32 PM

I hate to say it, but there is very little you can do to help him. He has to want to help himself. You can try to point him in the right direction, but he needs to take the steps. Don't let his threatening to use again keep you from taking care of yourself. You might want to consider going to an alanon meeting. I have been in your position and I know how difficult it is to love someone with an active addiction (not to mention HIV). Take care of yourself. That's the only thing you can control right now. If you'd like to do some research into counseling for him, contact GMHC. Good luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#96565 - 04/26/04 05:23 PM

Your boyfriend sounds an awful lot like someone that I know- Me- I'll tell you that when I was diagnosed six years ago I was already into a lot of drugs- but after the diagnosis- I did so many drugs for so long- I told everyone, yeah, I'm okay- but I wasn't- I never learned to deal with this, so I didn't I just got high and had sex- It took my partner and most of my so called friends to turn their backs on me before I was finally ready to deal with my addiction- I had overdosed 19 times in five years- flat lined three times- and would not die or stop- until- something happened- I got really sick, and had to reflect on my life- and I did not want to go out like this superficial, shallow, selfish little jerk that I was showing the world- please! That was not me- but it was me too- After two years of trying "recovery" I now have six months clean- It is a journey- such is life- I can only tell you that in the midst of the darkest night sometimes there's a light to be found, and no one is hopeless- I'll keep you in my prayers.

bfr
Unregistered

#98122 - 05/08/04 01:50 PM

HI, Well my partner has severe depression too! And he almost makes it impossible for me to give him care. So all I can tell you is get all the support you can. Demand it!! I know what your doing is very hard and you should give yourself credit for sticking it out and for what it's worth I know what your going through. Hang in there

bfr
Unregistered

#98123 - 05/08/04 02:11 PM

Hi, it's me again! There is a really good line out there they have helped me with the same issues you are havin . The -AIDS/hiv nightline. They operate from 5pm/5am pacific time-
800-273-2437 please call them I think they can help at lease some. And the thing I've been battling with my partner wont seek out any help. It's a really had call to make, and I havent yer, It is ok to seperate from someone that is dragging you down espically if they wont help themselvs. Although I haven't been able to do it. And probalbly wont!!! God Bless

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4478

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement