Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

boyfriend HCW exposed
      #91284 - 03/05/04 01:09 PM

My boyfriend is a paramedic and has had an exposure to HIV and possibly Hep C. Our relationship is long distance which makes this even harder. I love him with all my heart and am so scared of the results. It's only been 2 weeks since his exposure and he's been on the PEP drugs since the day after his exposure. I need comfort and reassurance we can get through this no matter what the results!
Scared

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: boyfriend HCW exposed new
      #91335 - 03/06/04 12:12 AM

He's more at risk for hep c then HIV! Hiv is harder to get if it's not a sexual transmission.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#91566 - 03/08/04 11:57 AM

Thank you for your reply. I 'm afraid his contact was through a cut he received while working on the patient. As it was a trauma situation the patient's blood and body fluids were everywhere. Do you think he's still at a lower risk?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94307 - 04/03/04 11:44 PM

Hi..
So sorry to hear about your situation. If he is on PEP drugs it must have been thought to been a genuine risk for transmission, although from what you're describing it sounds like the chances are pretty good that it would be negative. Blood on unbroken skin is no risk, and even if there is a cut on his hand, unless it was fresh and actively bleeding the chance of transmission would be pretty low. Within a short period of time after a cut enough healing has been done to
provide a barrier. I'm not sure I have a real grasp on the situation but it sounds like the odds are in his favor. Keep the faith. PEP has a pretty good success rate according to the articles and journals I've read. In the meantime until he can be tested don't dwell on what is not yet fact and take it a day at a time.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2624

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement