Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
A Friend
Unregistered

Close friends have Aids
      #66178 - 06/22/03 10:51 AM

We (my husband and I) have recently learned that our dear friends (and neighbors) have AIDS. They are a gay couple, and one has full blown AIDS and the other says his is "undetectable", although I am not certain what that means. My question is this...

We have a 2yo daughter who loves them both very much. She always snuggles them and gives them hugs and kisses. Is there any concern about her becoming infected from giving them kisses on their lips? The last thing I would want to do is make them feel badly about their situation, but at the same time I am a little concerned about transmission. I didn't want to ask them personally because they were already terrified that we would behave ignorantly and not want them around us or our children. We love them both dearly, they are wonderful people, and I know they would never intentionally put our daughter in harms way. I still just would like some peace of mind knowing that I don't need to be concerned about her giving them "lovies".

Thanks for any information you can provide, God bless you all!

A Friend

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
A Friend
Unregistered

Re: Close friends have Aids new
      #66180 - 06/22/03 11:02 AM

I just read the thread about someone with a best friend who has AIDS, and that helped quite a bit. I want to stress that I am not overly concerned at all, and they are both very cautious. For example, the friend who has full blown aids wont even let our baby drink from his glass, even though we are all well aware that it doesn't transmit that way. The friend who is HIV+ is the one who she will give kisses on his mouth. Obviously nothing sexual...just to clear that up...but I just want some clarification/reassurance that there isn't a reason for concern.

Regardless, we really feel honored that they trust us enough to let us know their situation. It is a terrible tragedy that they have to go through this, and we support them both 100%. When they told us, the friend with AIDS said it had been bothering him that we didn't know because "you let me play with your daughter, I am holding her all the time". He had tears and started to choke up, and I almost lost it myself! He is one of the most loving and sweet people you could ever meet, and our daughter loves them both dearly. I could never imagine being so ignorant as to think this horrible disease could somehow interfere with a friendship like ours. Anyways, thanks for listening.

-A Friend

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66287 - 06/24/03 11:38 PM

From this sort of kissing there has been not one transmission of HIV--and there are 40 million people infected. So do not worry about this. And it sounds like this guy needs to comfort of kids. He's really more at risk from your daughter...cause kids are always getting sick and passing on illnesses to adults. YOu should mention that to him....But there is no risk of your daughter getting hiv from him as long as all he's doing is hugging and kissing her! You are a good friend and they are lucky to have you. If only more people were as sensitive as you!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66333 - 06/25/03 11:38 PM

Thanks for the reassurance! I understand that she could transmit illness more easily to him, but I will definitely talk to him and make sure we have good communication about if the kids have been exposed to anything recently. I'd feel horrific if they got sick from my kids! He does love our baby to pieces, and she just adores him as well. I am so glad they are able to experience each other for the time that is available to us. Thanks for taking the time to read my post! Take care, and God Bless!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#66365 - 06/26/03 09:43 PM

You are great. He's so lucky to have you!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3152

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement