Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Husband has AIDS
      #64429 - 04/28/03 02:04 PM

Hi,
I am married to a 53 year old man who has AIDS, caught we believe through an accident when he and a labourer fell off the roof and both had lots of deep gashes and lots of blood!! They were mopping each other up. I live in South Africa where it is rife, but as it was 7 years ago we did not think of Aids, only getting them stitched up.

My husband had shingles in 2000, very badly and suffers still with PHN. In 2002 he was diagnosed with cryptococcal meningitis and then had an Aids test. What a shock that was to me and then to our grown/married kids. But how supportive they have been.

He seems to crash every 6 months and has just today come out of hospital for the 3rd time. They stablise him and send him home. Every time his spirit sags a bit more. He is very moody and I have to pray hard that I have patience and understanding of how he is really feeling. It is so hard.

I am the bread winner now and feel the responsibility - I am 58 and should have been heading for retirement, but no such luck as all money goes on drugs as we have no help from the government in SA. Even the medical aids (insurances) discriminate against him.

I feel so awful at the moment as I just dont know how long he has, what stage he is at and the doctors dont seem to be much help either. Each day at a time I am told. He is on Videx, Nevirapine and Zerit plus Diflucan amongst other things.

This site was given to me in a chat room and it has been a wonderful supportive site and the experts have really helped me, with my questions as well as answering others. God bless you in your work.

I hope my story helps others and would not mind if somebody in the same situation wanted to email me at sandra.fann@absamail.co.za - I am negative and intend to stay that way!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Husband has AIDS new
      #64433 - 04/28/03 03:13 PM

Hi, You are realy doing a good job keep it up. Enjoy whatever happy minutes you can grab. Take care of yourself too. It looks like your husband is geting good care. All the best.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Husband has AIDS new
      #65730 - 06/16/03 03:09 PM

Hunny, give yourself lots and lots of praise. I to am a negative wife of a posistive husband. and girl it is so very hard to see them in this shape and to also deal with everyday events. day-to-day ... one day at a time... is what I keep telling my self, and remembering that he wasn't this angry,mad,sad,sick,depressed,susidal(at times), man who is in denial more days than he is not. he wasn't this way before diagnosed and medication. keep hanging in there. pray for me as I will remember you. and don't let thoes little things get to ya enjoy your time with him whatever the mood or situation. I too feel so useless and irgorant about this virous and what to expect or what is to come......one day at a time........:)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2645

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement