Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Successful
      #27833 - 02/06/02 02:55 PM

My husband is HIV+ I am HIV-. We are educating ourselves around the idea of having another baby. We have read all about sperm washing and invetro. We would like to hear from someone in our same situation who has gone through this process and found it successful.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Successful new
      #27857 - 02/07/02 01:33 AM

Why would you even want to take the chance of infecting a little baby? I can understand the urge ... but if you are willing to put your unborn baby at a high risk for acquiring a deadly and incurable virus like HIV ... then I think you should seriously question your motivations for even having a baby. A good parent is someone who is selfless ... someone who puts the needs and wants of their children above their own! Therefore, to put your own desires (however good they may seem) of having a baby given the situation you are in would both be reckless and un-parental ... so please, really think about what's best for the baby above what you think is best for you.

And please don't think I'm being harsh ... I have 2 boys of my own and have put my own desires above their welfare many a times. It's just wrong to do that ... we all make mistakes ... I just hope you won't in this situation as much as I hope the same for myself.

If what you want is another baby ... don't forget their are other options that are safe, like adoption for example. Maybe you'll want to think about these as well.

Best of luck

Anonymous
Unregistered

#28000 - 02/08/02 06:43 PM

I haven't gone through this, but talk to the women at WOmen Alive 800-554-4876. some of the women there might have your experience and can help. I think though they are only helping people like you guys in England cause of liabiity issues. Good luck!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#28493 - 02/18/02 01:22 PM

Unfortunately, there isn't much being done in this country, from what I understand. I've also read that it decreases your chances of a sucessful invitro implantation. And it's very expensive. I believe there is a clinic in Boston doing the procedure? My husband and I are in the same situation. We are contemplating adoption or Inter-Uterine Insemmination with donated sperm. The way I understand it, as long as the mother is not infected the baby cannot be infected - hence the "washing" of the sperm, it removes the actual sperm from the seminal fluid which is where the virus lives. There are currently studies underway investigating the connection between a drop in blood vl and semen vl.
I hope everyday for a breakthrough that would enable me to carry another of my husband's biological childen - but for the time being we're looking into adoption and IUI.
Good Luck. If you come accross anything, please post it here so we can all benefit. Thanks :-)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3131

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement