Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
babygirl1107

Reged: 03/05/10
my husband is +, i'm - and i want to get pregnant
      #249658 - 03/05/10 07:21 PM

My husband tested positive about 6 months ago. I am negative. As of yesterday, his viral load is considered undetectable. I want to get pregnant, but not only do we have HIV as an obstacle, he also had a vasectomy about 9 yrs ago. Does anyone have any suggestions for us having our own biological child that wont cost us a ridiculous amount of money?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
nnhood

Reged: 10/22/09
Re: my husband is +, i'm - and i want to get pregnant new
      #249700 - 03/09/10 09:49 PM

Have you checked into sperm washing? I'm not sure how much that costs, but I know it is out there.

M.

StanDuminy

Reged: 05/31/10
      #250598 - 06/02/10 06:54 AM

I think so you should search for any sperm donor. Its just my suggestion. And I think so you can get it at affordable price.

Poppy

Reged: 08/12/09
      #250925 - 06/27/10 12:56 PM

I am in the same situation as you....I am negative and my souse is positive. We looked at ways to have a baby for the past 8 years and we finally settled on having timed, unprotected sex as the way we would try. We have an excellent team of doctors helping us. I don't advise this for everyone, I'm just saying its what we decided. You can read about it on my blog: www.hivnegativespouses.blogspot.com

Good Luck!

CSS

Reged: 06/30/10
      #250979 - 06/30/10 05:11 PM

I'm in the same boat too and signed up at this forum for this purpose. I like your blog, Poppy, and found much of what you wrote familiar. My HIV+ husband and I tried 3 months of timed (until the last month, when we added a few extra tries), unprotected sex about a year ago, but decided to switch to donor sperm. I never tested positive, but we worried about the risk and although his sperm had been tested and found fine, we thought maybe a young, healthy donor would help.

Eight tries later, including switching donors three times, two medicated (pills and shots) cycles, and--the last time around--a very early miscarriage, we're back at square one. We've basically run out of money, but not the desire to have a child. Although I'm 40, my fertility testing has all come out fine and I still want to try a few more times before turning to adoption.

So we're thinking about trying timed, unprotected sex again and I've just been reading up on the subject. The European studies of Drs. Semprini and Vernazza are particularly encouraging and I've been reviewing their work. Here's some info in case anyone's interested:

http://www.thebody.com/content/art42636.html

http://papamamanbebe.net/a8174-serodiscordant-couple-seeks-advice-about-con.html

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/1667_10825.shtml

My husband fits the bill (on HAART therapy, undetectable viral load, has always been healthy), although we probably wouldn't consult our doctors and hence, provide me with any sort of prophylactic (seems to be mostly for psychological reasons anyway). Because of liability issues, the American medical establishment, by and large, won't give the go-ahead or help couples like us with the process. My RE offered to do sperm washing, but only if we did IVF and we can't afford it. So we'd just have to go it alone, like we did last time.

I'm feeling a little hesitant. I have to confess I have some fears and, I hate to say this, but I feel like I dodged a bullet last time and I'm not sure I want to take the risk again. I know it's always a risk, even with a condom, but this takes it up a notch. Plus, I wonder if my husband's sperm is going to do the trick since it didn't before (but they say you should give it 6 months). However, I feel like I've run out of options and I still really want to be a mother.

So that's my long story! Thanks for listening. I'll check back.

--CSS

CSS

Reged: 06/30/10
      #250980 - 06/30/10 05:17 PM

By the way, another option out there (but not for us, financially, at this point) is sperm washing via the Bedford Research Foundation in Boston (can order kits through the mail too). Here's the link:

http://sementesting.org/

--CSS

Lizh1

Reged: 09/24/10
      #252226 - 09/24/10 03:26 PM

I know this is a bit late, but people interested in conception should see this study if they haven't already:
http://www.aidsmap.com/page/1425555/

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4536

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement