Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
Ts1ts1

Reged: 10/09/06
My Uncle has HIV
      #211118 - 10/09/06 05:25 PM

Hello everyone!
Thanks for your time. My uncle is hiv positive. He is currently in hospital after having a stroke on Friday. I really don't know what to expect, but am just praying that he pulls through. He has not told me how he feels, but he has lost a lot of weight and has just started treatment. I honestly don't know what support I can give him and his family. Being in England and him, based in South Africa. I can only speak to him via the telephone or emails. Somehow it doesn't feel good enough. He was very influential in my upbringing, so he is more like a brother to me. I don't want to lose him and need tips on how to help pro-long his life. I think he is giving up, maybe he is going through so much, but I just want to encourage him to fight the good fight. Please help...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: My Uncle has HIV new
      #211144 - 10/09/06 08:44 PM

You have the answer... Simply support him. Love him. Tell him how important it is for him to be in your life. You dont go into any great detail about his hiv status of which you probably do not know but with todays meds, HIV is not the death sentence it was 20 years ago... A stroke certainly is no laughing matter. Hopefully he is under good care and direction. How long have you known about his status?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: My Uncle has HIV new
      #211283 - 10/10/06 06:36 PM

Thanks for the response. I have known about this for 3 months. If he was here in England then I would know that he is under constant care with a good patient and staff ratio. At present he is in a stable position. The attitudes about hiv and aids are quite different in Africa. As you are probably aware there is a huge population of hiv infected people, but medication is very expensive. He has been working full time to fend for his family. I think stress is a contributing factor. Long hours. I know he has just started medication, so whether it was a reaction to the drugs is anybody's guess. I am just finding it hard not being by his side to say only positive things. At present, I can't afford the trip but I am saving for the trip. It's just so hard. Life will never be the same. I don't know whether he still wants to live? Maybe I am being selfish, but I am not ready to lose him. I feel helpless. Thanks again for the response.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3829

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement