The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
motherinlaw

Reged: 06/12/06
Thanks for your support and any more advice?
      #198767 - 07/04/06 10:57 AM

I want to thank everyone for their support and help. I posted this in response to my own previous posting and felt it might have gotten lost in the shuffle and so am reposting.

I have just spoken to my son again. He was finally able to convince his wife to go to the hospital. She was there a day and a half and wanted to check herself out to go home to "spend her last days" with the kids.
Contrary to what one poster said, my son is beyond frustrated and angry with this decision. He knows she can live and has tried everything to convince her to do what needs to be done. At the time he called me he was still trying to keep her in the hospital. His frustration is partly based on the fact that he can not convince her to do anything and short of staying home from work (which they can certainly not afford) he cannot be there to monitor her meds. I don't know where this will lead, but she is going to go stay with her mother who will "nag" her to take her meds. This does not seem lke a long term solution unless she intends to stay with her mother.
The doctors strongly advised her to stay in the hospital. She is so anemic they can't draw blood and she was getting transfusions. My son is supposed to call again today to give me an update.
In my opinion she has made a choice; between living and dying she has chosen to die, leaving three small children (2 to 10) to live without their mother. This goes beyond depression, this stems from her family (including her mother) who is has undoubtedly made her feel "dirty" and of no value. This image would not be supported by my son.
I appreciate anything you can add that I can give to my son to help him through this painful time. Thanks,
Mother-in-law

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Thanks for your support and any more advice? new
      #198848 - 07/05/06 09:36 AM

Main Index | Search | Register as a New User | Log In | Who's Online | FAQ

Bulletin Boards >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS Previous Index Next Flat Threaded

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: What should I think?
07/01/06 09:08 PM Reply Quote

[0]

Google_______________

New Protease Inhibitor Approved for Treatment-experienced Patients

By Liz Highleyman

On June 23, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced the accelerated approval of darunavir, formerly known as TMC114, Tibotec's new non-peptide protease inhibitor (PI); the drug will be marketed under the brand name Prezista.

Darunavir was approved for treatment-experienced HIV positive adults who are not responding to their current antiretroviral regimens. To achieve adequate concentrations in the body, darunavir must be coadministered with a boosting dose of ritonavir (Norvir). The recommended dose is 600 mg darunavir (two 300 mg tablets) plus 100 mg ritonavir twice daily with food.
Model of TMC-114 in the active site
of HIV-1 protease

"One of the greatest challenges in HIV care is finding therapies for treatment-experienced patients," said Michael Saag, MD, director of the University of Alabama at Birmingham's Center for AIDS Research. "This is an important new option for the thousands of people with HIV in the United States who are resistant to more than one protease inhibitor."

Approval was based on 24-week data from two randomized, controlled Phase IIb trials showing that boosted darunavir produced superior virological suppression and greater CD4 cell recovery compared with other boosted PIs. POWER 1 (conducted in Europe, Australia, Brazil, and Canada) and POWER 2 (conducted in the United States) together included nearly 600 participants. Longer-term data will be required for full traditional approval.

At the 13th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections this past February, researchers reported that, in the two studies combined, 70% of heavily treatment-experienced patients with evidence of PI-resistance mutations experienced at least a 1 log (90%) reduction in HIV RNA after taking darunavir for 24 weeks, compared with 21% of patients taking other boosted PIs. Further, 45% of patients in the darunavir arm achieved HIV viral loads below 50 copies/mL, compared with 12% of those taking other PIs; CD4 cell count increases were 92 cells/mm3 vs 17 cells/mm3, respectively. The studies also showed that darunavir worked best when combined with T-20 (enfuvirtide, Fuzeon). In an additional non-randomized, open-label study (POWER 3), 65% of subjects achieved at least a 1 log reduction in HIV RNA and 40% achieved undetectable viral load after 24 weeks.

The most common side effects observed in patients taking darunavir were headache, diarrhea, abdominal pain, constipation, and vomiting (all reported by fewer than 5%). In additions, about 7% developed skin rashes of varying severity, including a few cases of erythema multiforme and Stevens-Johnson Syndrome; individuals with a known allergy to sulfa drugs should not take darunavir. Some patients also had elevated liver enzymes. It is too soon to know whether darunavir will cause the same types of long-term metabolic complications (e.g., blood lipid elevations, body shape changes, diabetes) seen in individuals taking other PIs.

Darunavir should not be used with a variety of other medications (including certain antihistamines, anticonvulsants, sedatives, statins, and the herb St. John's wort), and should be used cautiously with other inhibitors or inducers of the CYP3A enzyme, due to the potential for drug interactions.

The safety and efficacy of darunavir as first-line therapy for treatment-naïve individuals has not yet been established. As a condition of approval, Tibotec must conduct post-marketing trials to assess how well darunavir works in children and in people with pre-existing liver impairment, as well as further drug interaction studies.

Darunavir is the first approved antiretroviral agent developed by Tibotec Pharmaceuticals, an Irish company that was acquired by Johnson & Johnson in 2002 and is a now a division of Ortho Biotech Products. The company also has an investigational non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor, etravirine (TMC125), in advanced clinical trials.

"This approval offers new hope to HIV patients who too often urgently need new therapies in order to maintain their health," said Acting Commissioner of Food and Drugs Andrew von Eschenbach, MD. "This drug is not a cure, but when combined with other standard therapies, it presents one more major step in our effort to help patients combat the effects of the disease."

6/23/06

Sources

Food and Drug Administration. FDA Approves New HIV Treatment for Patients Who Do Not Respond to Existing Drugs. Press release. June 23, 2006.

Tibotec Pharmaceuticals. Prezista Receives U.S. FDA Approval as Part of HIV Combination Therapy. Press release. June 23, 2006.

Additional TMC-114 (Darunavir) Articles
Posted on HIV and Hepatitis.com

Encouraging Data at 13th CROI on Novel New HIV Protease Inhibitor TMC 114 and Unique Non Nucleoside TMC 125 - 2/21/06

Enrollment Is Open to Early Access Program for Experimental HIV Protease Inhibitor TMC114 with Ritonavir in HIV Patients with Limited Treatment Options - 2/17/06

TMC114/r in 3-class-experienced patients: 24-week primary safety analysis of the POWER 2 study (TMC114-C202). D Berger and others. - 12/18/05

Tibotec Announces Opening of Expanded Access Program for Experimental Protease Inhibitor TMC 114 - 10/28/05

Salvage Study of Experimental HIV Protease Inhibitor TMC 114 from Tibotec Yields Outstanding Results - 8/01/05

Enrollment Is Open for Phase III Trial of New HIV Protease Inhibitor TMC114 with Low Dose Ritonavir vs Lopinavir/Ritonavir (Kaletra) in Treatment-experienced Patients - 6/27/05

Tibotec Offers Expanded Access Program for Experimental Protease Inhibitor TMC 114 and Announces Plan to Seek FDA Accelerated Approval of the Drug - 6/17/05

TMC114/Ritonavir Shows Considerable Antiviral Activity in Patients with Extensive Baseline PI Resistance and Is Active against Multi-PI-resistant HIV - 6/03/05

FDA-Approved
HIV and AIDS Treatments

Protease Inhibitors

Agenerase (amprenavir)
Aptivus (Tipranavir)
Crixivan (indinavir)
Fortovase (saquinavir soft gel)
Invirase (saquinavir hard gel)
Kaletra (lopinavir/ritronavir)
Lexiva (Fosamprenavir)
Norvir (ritonavir)
Reyataz (atazanavir)
Viracept (nelfinavir)

Nucleoside / Nucleotide Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors

Combivir (AZT plus 3TC)
Epivir (lamivudine; 3TC)
Emtriva (emtricitabine; FTC)
Epzicom (abacavir + lamivudine)
Hivid (zalcitabine; ddC)
Retrovir (zidovudine; AZT)
Trizivir
- (abacavir/zidovudine/lamivudine)
Truvada (Tenofovir / Emtricitabine)
Videx (didanosine; ddI)
Viread (tenofovir)
Zerit (stavudine; d4T)
Ziagen (abacavir)

non Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors

Rescriptor (delavirdine)
Sustiva (efavirenz)
Viramune (nevirapine)

Entry Inhibitors

Fuzeon (enfuvirtide; T-20)

Post Extras:

Entire thread
Subject Posted by Posted on
What should I think? motherinlaw 06/12/06 11:32 PM
Re: What should I think? Anonymous 07/01/06 09:08 PM
Re: What should I think? Anonymous 07/01/06 09:05 PM
Re: What should I think? alivehoping 06/25/06 12:15 AM
Re: What should I think? Anonymous 06/17/06 10:44 AM
Re: What should I think? Annie 06/26/06 04:05 PM
Re: What should I think? Anonymous 06/21/06 08:15 AM
Re: What should I think? motherinlaw 07/01/06 11:22 AM
Re: What should I think? Anonymous 07/01/06 08:19 PM
Re: What should I think? Anonymous 06/14/06 10:04 PM
Re: What should I think? Anonymous 06/14/06 09:56 PM
Re: What should I think? Anonymous 06/14/06 09:02 PM
Re: What should I think? Anonymous 06/14/06 06:58 PM
Re: What should I think? IzPoZ 06/13/06 12:22 AM
Re: What should I think? franfrog 06/13/06 08:02 AM
Re: What should I think? AIDS2HIV 06/13/06 10:24 AM
Re: What should I think? EricCO 06/13/06 10:41 PM
Re: What should I think? Anonymous 06/15/06 01:59 PM

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator: TheBody

Permissions
You can start new topics
You can reply to topics
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is disabled

Rating:
Thread views: 480

Rate this thread 1 star 2 star 3 star 4 star 5 star Jump to *Bulletin Boards* ----- Living With HIV Gay Men Women I Just Tested Positive Am I Infected? En Español My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS Myths About HIV/AIDS Treatment Teens Nutrition and HIV African Americans HIV/AIDS in the Military Job Listings

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Our Mission and Team | Content Policy | Privacy Policy | Advertising and Sponsorship | Link to Us

The Body is a service of Body Health Resources Corporation, 250 West 57th Street, New York, NY 10107. The Body and its logos are trademarks of Body Health Resources Corporation, which owns the copyright of The Body's homepage, topic pages, page designs and HTML code.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198852 - 07/05/06 09:44 AM

I WILL PRAY THAT ALL GOES WELL JUST KEEP REMINDING HER HOW MUCH SHE IS LOVED AND HOW MUCH EVERYONE NEEDS HER. BUILD HER SELF ESTEEM. YOU ARE SUCH A GREAT MOTHER. I WOULD NOT EVEN SAY MOTHER-IN-LAW
YOU HAVE THE LOVE IN YOUR HEART THAT EVEN HER OWN MOTHER DOES NOT. GOD WILL BLESS YOUR EVERY STEP WITH YOU LOVING HEART. ASK GOD TO GIVE YOU THE RIGHT WORDS TO SAY TO HER. YOU WILL SEE THINGS TURN AROUND.

Edited by TheBody (07/05/06 03:09 PM)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198856 - 07/05/06 09:53 AM

Jesus, take the wheel
(Carrie Underwood)
She was driving last Friday on her way to Cincinnati
On a snow white Christmas Eve
Going home to see her Mama and her Daddy with the baby in the backseat
Fifty miles to go and she was running low on faith and gasoline
It been a long hard year
She had a lot on her mind and she didn't pay attention
She was going way to fast
Before she knew it she was spinning on a thin black sheet of glass
She saw both their lives flash before her eyes
She didn't even have time to cry
She was sooo scared
She threw her hands up in the air

Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this all on my own
I'm letting go
So give me one more chance
To save me from this road I'm on
Jesus take the wheel

It was still getting colder when she made it to the shoulder
And the car came to a stop
She cried when she saw that baby in the backseat sleeping like a rock
And for the first time in a long time
She bowed her head to pray
She said I'm sorry for the way
I've been living my life
I know I've got to change
So from now on tonight

Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this all my own
I'm letting go
To save me from this road I'm on

Oh, Jesus take the wheel
Oh, I'm letting go
Save me from this road I'm on
From this road I'm on
Jesus take the wheel
Oh, take it, take it from me
Oh, why, oh

PLEASE PRINT THIS FOR HER AND TELL HER IT IS SENT WITH
ALL MY LOVE. THINK ABOUT THOSE LITTLE BABIES IN THE BACK. LOVE CINDY

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5004

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement