Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
shannon

Reged: 04/01/06
Loc: Illinois/Washington, D.C.
CD-4 lab work back
      #187959 - 04/25/06 10:58 PM

Well, we were feeling all rosy over here, but this morning we got David's Cd-4 count and it is 242. That's much lower than we had sort of psyched ourselves up for and the folks at the clinic are going to hook him up with meds as soon as they can file all the indigent patient paperwork.

It's really disappointing to hear he'll have to be on meds right away.

How bad is 242? And is it possible that he'll be able to get it up higher so that he can stop the meds for a while or is it a "once you're on them, you're on them forever" kind of deal?

We still don't have his viral load. Our fingers are crossed. He and I are going to the foodbank tomorrow where he can get 50 lbs of groceries per month. We are looking forward to that and to the support group for positive folks and their friends/families.

Still, it was a bummer to hear the news so far...

--------------------
"All that you have is your soul."
Tracy Chapman

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
Re: CD-4 lab work back new
      #187960 - 04/25/06 11:13 PM

[quote]How bad is 242? And is it possible that he'll be able to get it up higher so that he can stop the meds for a while or is it a "once you're on them, you're on them forever" kind of deal? [/quote]

at a count of 200 or below,accompanied by an oppurtunistic infection, the classification goes from "Hiv" to "Aids"

Yes the meds will improve his counts, and his immune system. Adherence to his med schedule is VITAL!!!

Will he someday be able to go off them?....Everyone is different, and thats one thing No one can accurately predict, not even doctors.

If his counts DO drop below 200, make sure his doctor puts him on antibiotics asap, to help ward off oppurtunistic infections......He will be most susceptable to them at that point*

Good Luck & God Bless*

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
      #187962 - 04/25/06 11:16 PM

by the way shannon....when i was diagnosed i was almost dead, my Tcell counts was 15, and my viral load was so high the chart couldnt read it....The meds & my will to live, have turned that around...so dont get worried, once he starts meds, it wont take long to see considerable improvement in him....

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

shannon

#187970 - 04/26/06 12:12 AM

That's encouraging. He definitely has a will to live!

--------------------
Tracy Chapman

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #188001 - 04/26/06 09:40 AM

Hi Shannon
Thanks again for the update. Washington has very good clinics I hear. He should be able to get into the meds delivery system quite easily since he has no real job or income. If he is on disability ( i mean Social Security Disability) that automatically gets him on Medicaid. However, I hear its harder to do that now and since he hasnt started meds, well, you never know. He may be a lot healthier in a year.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Brandy
Guru

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Oklahoma,USA
      #188044 - 04/26/06 12:41 PM

Shannon
thanks for the update, as you have already heard there are many here whoes cd4 counts were much worse and Im not different but as was also said they can get better I went from 154 cd4 count and now Im at 459 and undectable, keep the faith.... things will turn around....
he is a very luck person to have such a wonderful friend to stand by him.....

--------------------
take care and be sooooo safe love,
Brandy

Live in the Moment!!!!

ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
      #188100 - 04/26/06 04:41 PM

How can he not have a will to live with people like you and your husband in his life??? Your love and support of him is wonderful....stick with it....it's almost as important as the meds themselves.!

shannon

#188171 - 04/26/06 11:56 PM

Thanks everyone. I've been reading up on how effective medication can be, so I'm feeling more hopeful. It's been a tough couple of days, though. My partner and I are really the only people in the loop on this with him.

I'm trying to be really positive about everything (and you all are helping a lot!) but sometimes I get sad or worried and I don't want him to know! I think he really does have a good shot at getting much better, but still--this is a lot to handle some days.

And if _I_ feel that way, then he must REALLY feel that way. So I don't want to drag him down. Thanks for giving me good examples to share about things getting better.

--------------------
Tracy Chapman

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #188259 - 04/27/06 01:10 PM

Shannon...
Have you heard of PAWS..... this is an organization dedicated to helping keep pets with their HIV infected owners etc.
Here is a sample from their website:
Animals to Avoid
Unfortunately, some animals simply present too much risk to immunosuppressed people and should be avoided altogether: Stray animals, Animals with diarrhea, reptiles (turtles, lizards, and snakes) and amphibians, wild animals and birds (including pigeons), farm animals, non-human primates (monkeys). Non-human primates carry the greatest risk because of their close genetic relationship to humans. These animals should not be pets under any circumstances. It is also good to remember that the humans in the household pose just as many risks to the animal.

Editors: Vic Spain, DVM; Karen BLount, DVM; and PAWS Client Services Committee
Funded by: Humane Society of the United States; University of California/Davis School of Veterinary Medicine class of 1993; Lesbian and Gay Veterinary Medical Association
Reviewed by: Fred Angulo, DVM, Medical Edipemiologist of the Centers for Disease Control; Ken Gorczyca, DVM; James M. Harris, DVM; and Alan Stewart, DVM

Copyright 2002, Pets Are Wonderful Support. All rights reserved. Right to copy granted subject to condition that name address and telephone number of Pets Are Wonderful Support appear and copies are not sold.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #188328 - 04/27/06 08:21 PM

Post your vl and you cd4/cd8 percentage. Having all three of those is important. 240 is definately time to condiser meds. 200< AIDS 200> HIV. You dont want to wait till 200 however.. Is this your first set of labs? And when is your second?

shannon

#189370 - 05/03/06 10:15 PM

Hi Eric!
We got his CD8 and his VL today. His Cd4/CD8 ratio is about .3, so we need to get the 4's up! But his VL was only 13,600, which surprised the nurse. She expected it to be significantly higher. So that's good news.

He has a HBV co-infection, and that VL # was very high--in the 100's of millions. We don't know what to do with that information, though. he isn't sick or looking jaundiced and he feels fine, so we're confused.

--------------------
Tracy Chapman

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7572

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement