Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
4nurse2be
Unregistered

Help me to be a better nurse
      #141051 - 04/29/05 08:38 AM

Hi. My name is CC and I am a nursing student due to graduate in August. As part of this semester I am to give a presentation on HIV. I would like to
focus on "how to be a better nurse to the HIV patient.". Is there anything you would like to tell a graduating group of nurses? Any of your thoughts or advice is greatly appreciated! My project is due 05/02/05 so an immediate response would be much obliged!
Please email me at skibabet@yahoo.com

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Help me to be a better nurse new
      #141057 - 04/29/05 09:10 AM

The day l got my HIV tests,l knew it was positive the minute l got in the clinic because the nurses who were in charge of my check ups were acting funny around me.like they did not know how to tell me or what to say.They were all nervous they did not know how to act around me and l knew there and then that l was positive because of they way they were acting so l would tell you to treat us like people.the same way you acted towarrd me ,do the same to today.dont pretend with us,just be you and treat us no differenlty than the next person with a flue.

hope you become a great nurse
good kuck

waterspot
Unregistered

Re: Help me to be a better nurse new
      #156082 - 06/10/05 11:50 AM

Hi, first off thank you for asking this question. I am an RN. My love has HIV/AIDS. We have spent much time in hospitals, the one I work in and others. What I can tell you is this. This disease can be horrible, the sickness that can accompany it even worse. The one thing, the single most important thing any nurse has ever offered is compassion. All of our technical skills all of our knowledge means little if we can not offer it with love. When I first became a nurse a rather enlightened ED doc said to me that the most important thing any nurse can do for their pt's is to love them. I of course scoffed at that. What do you mean? I am an emergency nurse! I help save lives! Let their families and friends love them, I don't want that job! Then I met Eddie, and I was a part of the other side of the medical system (which by the way is NOT user friendly) and I suddenly understood what that doc meant. And then I understood that he was right. Now I am an RN who sometimes helps saves lives, and always loves her pt's. I hope you can be that too, if you can you will change people's lives, and probably change the way other nurses around you nurse. Best of luck to you, you should be proud of yourself you've done something very worthwhile.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2459

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement