Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Family and Friends >> My Loved One Has HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wasting severly--HELP
      #138932 - 03/17/05 06:36 PM

My loved one is wasting away, how much weight can a person lose and still get healthier? I am very scared and worried about him.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IzPoZ
Guardian

Reged: 01/24/05
Loc: FTL, Florida
Re: Wasting severly--HELP new
      #138937 - 03/17/05 10:05 PM

Keep the faith, and keep their spirits up. There are many reasons for weight loss: kidney issues, depression, etc. Find the underlying issue, and try to work on it from there. When you figure out what is causing the weight loss, work on getting it fixed.

My husband is currently under 120, at 5'10". I was told to feed him high carbs, low protiens. The cause for his weight loss was pretty severe, though, I don't want to scare you. It can be very serious, so see if you can get it checked out as soon as possible.

Also check into the ability to get marijuana prescribed, or megase, to increase the appetite.

Good luck, and if it's possible, don't remind them how much weight they lost, just remind them they need to stay healthy and keep their energy up. It's not an easy battle.

--------------------
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

HBK

Reged: 03/23/05
Loc: Manila, Phil.
      #139130 - 03/23/05 03:48 AM

try the whole lemon/olive oil drink, you can find info on how to prepare this drink on keephopealive.org, it will help to stop & reverse wasting syndrome, also yo can use virgin coconut oil 1tbsp 4 x a day aftr meals it normalizes metabolism & treats malabsorption and also a powerful anti-viral(some have been succesful in coconut oil monotheraphy). btw im HIV negative but i have friends who have HIV & im trying to help them as much as i can..goodluck

--------------------
"Hope is the last thing to fade.."

Ronnie
Regular

Reged: 01/10/05
Loc: Columbus, OH
      #139306 - 03/27/05 12:43 PM

My lover lost a lot of weight too, when he had pneumonia in December. I put him on 2000 calorie shakes from GNC until he got on HAART meds a couple months later. The HAART meds are working for him and he's off the shakes and he's eating a regular diet and gaining some of his weight back. The thing that I know is important is protein and calories. A person with HIV is using up an incredible amount of calories just for his/her body to fight the illness, so eat, eat, eat. The other is protein, you don't want to lose muscle or bone tissue. If you're fortunate enough to have an AIDS Service Org. in your area, they can usually hook you up with a nutritionist free of charge that will develop an eating plan specifically for him/her.

Take care-
Ronnie

--------------------
Check out my blog.
www.phunkebeatz216.blogspot.com

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4053

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement