HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Nutrition, Exercise & HIV

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
vripley

Reged: 01/22/12
Loc: Maryland
What Are You Doing to Stay in Shape?
      #260519 - 01/23/12 11:42 AM

Hi all,

I'm fascinated with how fitness and wellness have helped me to stay around on this pale blue dot we affectionately call, Earth. So what kind of fitness related training do you participate in to stay healthy, fit, and alive?

I'll start with my regiment. As a hemophiliac, I cannot participate in contact sports, and I need to be careful of my joints in general. That said, two years ago I discovered triathlons and I've never looked back.

I train six days per week, leaving one day for complete rest and rehabilitation.

Each week I:
Bike 3 days (2 maintenance and 1 long day)
Run 3 days (2 maintenance and 1 long day)
Swim or VersaClimber 2 or 3 days
Lift weights 1.5 days (I do a full-body routine 3 times every two weeks)

I find that fitness keeps my joints strong and less prone to bleed. It also sharpens my mental abilities, and give me extra energy.

What do you do? And, do you think it helps keep you alive?

-Vaughn

--------------------
hivlongevity.com
www.vaughnripley.com

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
Re: What Are You Doing to Stay in Shape? new
      #260540 - 01/24/12 05:23 AM

I have had to get serious about keeping myself on a fitness schedule since my diagnosis. I am cycling again, almost daily, and I belong to a gym that I go to on the days it's raining and I can't cycle.

I've been able to lose a few kilos, and need to lose more. I'm a little chunky! ;-)

I have gotten more serious about my diet, not letting myself snack on bread and other processed items, but tons of fruits and veggies instead. I have eliminated coffee - caffeine and Atripla do not mix well for me. I drink lots of water and have given up alcohol entirely.

The exercise is very important, and I hate weight lifting, so cardio is where I have to go. I also love swimming, especially in the hot weather.

The exercise helps my mind and mood a lot. I was able to get off the antidepressants last October, and feel very good. My girlfriend did as well, and enjoys badminton every evening with her friends from work.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #260551 - 01/24/12 07:36 PM

God bless both of you gents . First I must say Ripley, you have a beautiful family pic That in itself is great motivation , and you too Thailand, your lady keeps you going. Ok with that being said , I find that , and studies did show, that women are less likely to take care of themseves as compared to men . I know that sounds a bit sterotyped but when you consider women were always considered the caretakers of the children , meal, cleaning so on and so forth it showed that we tent to be less pro active. I always admire men for their stanima ( don't take that the wrong way ) Ihave been going to the gym on and off for about 4 years total. There hasn't been big physical changes on the outside but when you don't go and age comes you certainly see the changes on the outside. So back again I'm going. I've always been a big fruit and veggie eater . I basically only eat once maybe twice a day . Yeah I know , not enough . I do my viatamins and supplements . I know I've done better in the past but I've also done worse , No lectures now guys ok ! lol

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260568 - 01/25/12 01:02 AM

Good point - I forgot all the exercise I get from taking care of my kids! I also did have my office moved from the ground to the third floor so that I had to take the stairs to get extra exercise - there are no lifts in the building.

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260569 - 01/25/12 03:25 AM

I just did a 27 km trek on my bike! Not the greatest distance in the world, but the longest I have done since getting back on the saddle (no pun intended!) two months ago. When I was in the US, I did about 20 km a day, taking my bike to work and back, and over 100 on the weekends. I don't know if I'll get up to that again, but it sure feels good to be cycling again! I hope it will burn this darn gut off!

whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
      #260587 - 01/25/12 03:14 PM

I attend 4-5 turbokick classes a week. In between I do 3-4 weight routines a week. I eat fairly lean and have a great attitude. I have to guard my joints because of Rheumatoid arthritis..but am still very, very active. I am almost 60...and a woman. It is not true that women don't take care of themselves as well as men..it just depends on the woman. I am committed to keeping as healthy as possible!!!

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #260613 - 01/25/12 10:12 PM

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #260650 - 01/27/12 08:10 AM

Yeah our will is a persistant creature. We either wnt to fix it ourselves or at least which is really most help Him fix it , as if He needs our help.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

PinayMom

Reged: 09/11/12
      #266454 - 09/11/12 12:47 PM

I'm into running, badminton and sometimes mountain biking with my hubby.

--------------------
Pinay Mom

tcocoa
Regular

Reged: 07/19/07
      #266464 - 09/11/12 06:30 PM

I watch what I eat, I get in moderate exercise by walking, and doing my exercises 3 times a week. I have lost some weight around my waist. Nothing over the top.

BabyFirefly

Reged: 09/28/12
Loc: Florida, United States
      #267415 - 09/28/12 09:03 AM

I go bike riding for at least two hours each week, with just as much time spent either jogging or doing other things (multiply that by five if walking while talking on my phone counts, ha).
It's been close to five years since I've had any animal products other than dairy foods/drinks and fish/seafood, but since my diagnosis I've been trying to consume alot more things with protein than before.
I've cut back on smoking (from one pack a day to 5 cigarettes on a good day and a couple more on...not so good days) and I plan on quitting entirely before February.

Since I've only been on my meds for less than two weeks I'm really not sure just how much my diet/fitness is helping matters, but according to the doctors my lungs, kidney, liver and so on are fine for the most part.

NcLongtermer

Reged: 03/17/11
Loc: North Carolina
      #270895 - 02/28/13 09:45 PM

Wow! Great reply and powerful words. I wholeheartedly agree.

Thanks for this,
Michael (in Raleigh, NC)

Wylie

Reged: 03/06/13
      #270981 - 03/06/13 10:16 AM

I am doing cardio exercises to lose my excess body weight and get my body in shape.
Cardio exercises are the ideal workout for the slimming and fitness.

--------------------
Maitland Personal Training

Alvano

Reged: 04/01/13
Re: What Are You Doing to Stay in Shape?
      #272227 - 05/29/13 05:28 AM

Walking is a very good choice. I have been using the Wii Fit and it seems to be pretty good as long as you don't do anything too strenuous....I am also signing up at my local indoor pool to swim at least 3 times a week. Swimming is very good but it also doesn't put stress on your joints or any other body part for that matter.

--------------------
http://www.apparelnbags.com/adidas-golf/index.htm

Cristian

Reged: 06/03/13
      #272546 - 06/15/13 12:37 AM

I used to run marathons, but ended up with a bad knee after years of improper warming up, so I switched back to my former passion...swimming. I even joined a local team, and participated in a competition at one point. Now I basically try to swim three times a week, an average of 70 to 100 laps. I feel renovated after coming out of the pool.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9396

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement