Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Health and Treatment Issues >> Nutrition, Exercise & HIV

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
What NOT to take with Meds
      #259804 - 01/03/12 02:06 PM

We always hear about to do for our health but how many know what not to do during treatment. I don't mean the obvious stuff such as sex and drugs , but things like grapefruit juice. Did you know that it is a BIG NO NO when taking medications. How about Milk Thistle. It's great for Hep C livers but again its a NO NO for Hiv meds. Be careful with alot of your herbal supplements. I think I heard something about using honey but not quite sure.. Is anyone else aware of any foods, supplemets, or herbs that we should be careful of?

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mamaangie

Reged: 04/23/08
Re: What NOT to take with Meds new
      #259855 - 01/04/12 07:46 PM

I was diagnosed with AIDS about 4 1/2 years ago. I was taking Gingko Biloba before that. Then my doctor said I needed to quit taking it, and that I couldn't take Garlic or Ginseng either. However, this past June, I had a complete psychological done, and the results included that I have "AIDS related cognitive and motor impairment". In other words, I am having short-term memory problems and losing the strength in my hands. My CD4 count was only 6 when I was diagnosed, so I don't know if there is a direct correlation between the 2. However, I am getting ready to start taking the Gingko again. I am not sure exactly what it will go. But my counts are good right now. And compared to the memory loss issues that I am having, it's worth trying again.

chrislee

Reged: 01/05/12
Loc: england
      #259864 - 01/05/12 06:55 AM

I was told when diagnosed that the Echinacea High strength tabs I was taking could have caused my high Viral load 105000.
Told to stop taking by my doctor
so would avoid even though it is meant to boost your immune system

riverprincessModerator

#259880 - 01/05/12 10:21 AM

Best of all to you my friend. I use to take all differnt herbal and supplement stuff , last being carintine , but now I'm just sticking with my multi, calcium and magnesium to counter act the iron constipation possibilities. I just got tired of taking sooo many things . In the beginning of my diagnoses 17 years ago , when I stated meds I was on 27 different meds then . So when I didn't have to take all them any more I decided not to replace it with all kinds of supplements. I firmly believe that too many suppliments makes our our system lazy . So I just do the basics now . But whatever you feel comfortable and if doc says its fine then all the power to you . Take care and be well

--------------------

eisenhans

Reged: 05/19/10
      #259881 - 01/05/12 11:06 AM

Hi Princess,
Thanks for your post. Could you please be specific about which meds you are referring to and why there is a problem? I am particularly interested in you comment about one of my fave fruits, grapefruit.

eisenhans

Reged: 05/19/10
      #259882 - 01/05/12 11:10 AM

Angie, have you tried taking fish oil supplements? What about Ritalin or other ADHD meds? I have found the combination of these two very helpful with the cognitive problems I was having (prospective memory loss, confusion, fogginess, inability to concentrate and sensory hypersensitivity).

riverprincessModerator

#259897 - 01/05/12 07:57 PM

Just becasue certains things are labeled Herbal one has to be careful befor taking. Milkthistle is great for liver damagedby Hep c but a no no for HIV , I found that Gingo gave me terrible headaches. BE VERY careful when taking over the counter cold medications. Some will react badly with HIV. I was taking cold medication and I develope such sever bone aches and fever from it only to find out after the fact that it interacted badly with my meds. Aslo be careful with cough medications. Always ask your infectious dr first , or get a list of the acceptable ones .

--------------------

sunman

Reged: 08/31/10
Loc: New Mexico
      #259923 - 01/06/12 11:32 AM

HI,
I knew about the problems with grapefruit, especially with some HIV meds (primarily PIs), statins and other medicaions. It is because of an enzyme present in the grapefruit not present in other citrus.
I also knew about echinacea and garlic.
But I am curious about your comments on milk thistle. I have been taking milk thistle for many years, including the past 16 years that I have been on ARV therapy.
Which meds is it supposed to interact with? I tried researching it, but found nothing to correlate.
Thanks

--------------------
Positive for 25+ years and still kicking

riverprincessModerator

#259926 - 01/06/12 11:52 AM

During a World Aids Day event many years ago , the discussion came up about what to take and what not to and one of the no to's was milk thistle. Though I never looked deeper into the whys I will be sure to ask my dr when I see him at the clinic. I am the type of person that will always take heed to a why not rather than just go with someone that says its ok . The latter would have less consequenses,

Now that you got me wondering I googled milk thistle. And from what I gather it effects how the liver flushes out certain medications. And that could affect how our HIV meds are affected. Makes big sense to me. Hiv meds do affect the liver . It's the domino effect. That is why my Dr always checks how my liver is doing since I once had Hep C. And if my liver isn't flushing the meds out properly then the dose would be comprimised.

--------------------

John_R_SF

Reged: 04/28/10
      #259958 - 01/07/12 04:05 PM

If you take Reyataz, I would avoid taking calcium carbonate within a couple of hours of your Reyataz dose. The prescribing info for Reyataz advises you not to take.certain antacids with Reyataz because an acidic stomach is necessary for optimal absorption of Reyataz. Calcium carbonate reduces stomach acid even if taken for bone health, and I think it is best to take it at least two hours before or after Reyataz or to take another form of calcium, such as calcium citrate.

riverprincessModerator

#259962 - 01/07/12 07:04 PM

Wonder if that would pertain to other meds also. Anyone know?

--------------------

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #260045 - 01/10/12 07:53 PM

Hi Folks,

What I'm finding on the Net says that they thought Milk Thistle may have an influence on PI, and potentially NNRTI's, in an invitro experiment. However, they went on to say that later, in clinical trials, they did not find any affects on available blood levels of either drug type. Also, in a one-year study comparing people on ARV + Milk Thistle vs ARV and not on Milk Thistle, they found no indication that it adversely affected the ARV treatment - there was no change in viral loads and no change in CD4 counts.

I hope that's true, because I take Milk Thistle in the morning, as per my doc's orders, to protect my liver. Thus far, my CD4's are over 900, my VL is undetectable, and my liver panels are great. I have been on the ARV (Atripla) + Milk Thistle almost a year now.

I don't take the meds together; Milk Thistle in the morning, Atripla at bedtime. Does anyone know of something more conclusive?

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260046 - 01/10/12 08:21 PM

Here is an article about Milk Thistle and ARV, explaining the one-year study with HIV and Hep C co-infected people:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hepatitis_silymarin_milk_thistle_1667_15125.shtml

riverprincessModerator

#260078 - 01/12/12 05:04 PM

I'm truly glad that all your panels are really great. I'm just cautious, personally, when I hear conflicting reports. Whether it's how studies are done differ or not , I don't know. But for me I live by the rule, " If it's not broken , I'm not gonna try and mess with it" lol But you know Thialand how much I respect your deligence in researching info. Did you see the article on the Elite Controllers in Science Daily news letter. There is all kinds of info there , more than wha my brain can comprehend. Got some extra brain cells for me Thialand? Love ya buddy

--------------------

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260127 - 01/14/12 11:25 PM

I agree, it's good to be cautious! I looked into the milk thistle a lot - I talked to many people with HIV & Hep coinfections who have been using it with ARV for years and swear by it. That, backed by the few studies I found seemed to indicate it was safe for me since I'm not on PI's.

Being here alone and having to help my doc help my GF and I through this has made me have to study up a lot. My old boss also helped us a lot with her expertise. Thanks to the internet, anyone can usually find what they need. You must be able to learn who you can trust though....

Brain cells? I'm blond! Not many to begin with.... ;-)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11565

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement