Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Past Forums (read only) >> Myths About HIV/AIDS

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

What are the positive facts?
      #174583 - 02/10/06 06:14 PM

It seems that this forum has mostly been used to laugh about all the ignorance out there...but I got a more serious/denial related question.
I have been reading all this information about how innaccurate the HIV antibody testing can be...ie lot's of false positives. Even more radical stuff about not having solid proof of AIDS being caused by HIV...What is this all about? And what is everybody's thoughts on these theories?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
Re: What are the positive facts? new
      #174627 - 02/10/06 10:51 PM

I know that in Missouri every positive test that is done in a commercial lab must be confirmed using the Western Blot by the state health lab before the positive report goes back to the individual. Now if you have one of the 20 min tests someplace an it shows positive, they immediately draw the blood to send to the state lab for confirmation or denial.

In terms of the second statement... well, you can find anything on the Internet. Just do a search for extra terresterials and find out how many first hand stories there are of humans being abducted by aliens. And some sound pretty convincing... sorry if I offend someone who was abducted.....

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
      #174772 - 02/12/06 05:30 PM

there are probably way more true positives out there who don't know than false positives. personally, i wouldn't have been upset if i had gone back to the doctor & he told me there was a mistake.. i was HIV-. that's wouldn't suck at all!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#174890 - 02/13/06 08:01 PM

There are not a lot of false positives....just some with Rapid testing. But with rapid testing all postiive tests are confirmed with an anitbody test.

There is solid proof that AIDS is caused by HIV. We know that treatment works cause when people don't have treatment (which is most of the world) they get sick and die. So that's kinda of known. The same thing happened in the U.S./Canada/Europe before we had drugs. Now things are better. There is a group of real nuts saying that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, but NO AIDS organization and no HIV doc, nurse or even social worker believes a word of their crap and many people (I know 2 personally) have died believing in their crap. It's sad that they are not medical doctors and they pretend to know about this disease.

Anonomous
Unregistered

#174891 - 02/13/06 08:40 PM

Blixer- me and my ET love-child are deeply offended ;)
I don't remember the name, but the daughter of a woman who was involved in the "HIV does not cause AIDS" movement, died recently. She was only 3, and the coroner said it was an AIDS related illness that killed her. If she would have been treated, her life could have been prolonged. It's so sad.
Anybody know the Mom's name?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#175232 - 02/15/06 05:52 PM

The mom's name is Christine Maggiore, and she's still proclaiming that HIV doesn't need to be treated (or some such nonsense). She so believed in this...as well as that there is no significance to testing positive or negative that Christine, who is hiv positive--breast fed her daughter and then NEVER HAD HER TESTED FOR HIV. The poor child died of AIDS-related causes according to the LA coroner. Christine who is obviously nuts got some pathologist to look over the coroner's report (ie he never saw the child's body) and he said it wasn't AIDS. Christine and her husband are being investigated by the local police for perhaps being somewhat responsible for their daughter's death. The problem with a lot of people who make medical claims but are not themselves medical researchers or physicians is even when the evidence is overwhelming they turn a blind eye. You see Christine has sold lots of books and has made her life into being a "denialist" and even with the tragic death of her daughter, she seems afraid to back down...SOme people don't have to take treatment even if they have HIV because their CD4 count stays reasonable and their viral load is low. Perhpas Christine is like this. But most of us are not so lucky and need to take treatment before our cd4 count falls too low and we get sick.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#175499 - 02/16/06 07:41 PM

read this sad story
http://www.blackaids.org/ShowArticle.aspx?pagename=ShowArticle&articletype=NEWS&articleid=147&pagenumber=1

Anonymous
Unregistered

#181442 - 03/21/06 02:27 PM

I remember around the time I tested positive there was a group of people that used to meet to discuss the "falacy" of HIV and AIDS. They used to claim that HIV does not cause AIDS, that the tests don't really detect the presence of a virus, and that a + result only means that you have to take better care of your health by, guess what, bying their products!

It was very difficult for me since I had just found out about my HIV+ status to deal with controversies about what that mean. It made me feel alone, confused and disoriented. Later on, in a support group I was attending there was a guy that mentioned that he developed AIDS because he believed for some time that HIV does not cause AIDS. He was a member of that group.

Some of the information that group was presenting to their members included some article from a magazine called Biotechnolgy where they presented supporting "evidence" that HIV does not causes AIDS. Later on that same year, the American Red Cross released a study from the CDC explaining why the CDC concluded that HIV causes AIDS. The study was extensive, and included bibliography from reputable scientific sources. Also, institutions such as the American Red Cross established as policy to use only sources of information that were supporitng the CDC.

I believe that it is a big lack of sense of responsibility to claim that something scientifically proven is wrong and challenge it (worse, make life-changing decisions) without any solid argument to back it up. It's saddening to see people wanting to heal and or finding an escape from what their lives are as soon as they test positive for HIV.

I think it's an abuse of the freedoms we have in the USA to misinform and mislead people into making the wrong choices by claming something, just for their profit or for their own denial. I personally don't believe everything I read, especially when it comes to HIV, but I'd never make a claim and try to lead people into believing anything other than what has been scientifically proven.

A lot of things change in terms of treatment, adherence to the treatment and even about a cure for HIV. I listen to everything around me, but ultimately, I am responsible for the decisions I make regarding my dealing with HIV. I haven't made the right decisions every time, but I'm not going to deny the condition I have and try to treat it as nonexisting. I'm not going to entertain people that claim things like "HIV doesn't cause AIDS" especially if they have NO SCIENTIFIC KNOWLEDGE.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#184500 - 04/05/06 11:18 AM

I am looking for research that backs up the theory that any type of bodily fluid exchange can cause AIDS/HIV. That is my belief and I cannot remember where I got the facts from. I do know that all HIV/AIDS deaths and autopsy's (sp?) completed on HIV positive and AIDS deaths require the person conducting the autopsy/or just the person who picks up the dead corpse to wear complete protective coverage for head to toe. Why would that be if you cannot get AIDS/HIV from just any type of bodily fluid exchange?
My belief is that you can get HIV/AIDS from any type of bodily fluid exchange, and people need to know this. People with AIDS/HIV don't want people to know the real truth!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13327

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement