Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Past Forums (read only) >> HIV/AIDS in the Military

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

HIV testing in the army
      #269 - 03/29/00 03:14 PM

Can anyone tell me what the Army's policy is on HIV testing? I know that new recruits are tested, but what about once you are enlisted?

Thanks!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pozlivin
Unregistered

Re: HIV testing in the army new
      #270 - 03/29/00 03:15 PM

HIV testing is conducted annually for all military personnel. For more information check out "MILPOZ" at: http://members.aol.com/pozlivin/index.htm
Look under the Military links for AR 600-110. This will answer your questions.

--Pozlivin

Ray
Unregistered

#271 - 03/29/00 03:15 PM

I was tested positive while I was on active duty in the Army. Thank God it happened to me while I was on active duty. I understand that the polices have changed a little since I was Medically Discharged. I was discharged in 1989 and at that time everyone was expected to die within weeks of being diagnosed, so they let us all out with big hefty checks and medical benefits. Now I understand that you most have at least two opportunistic illnesses in order to get out and I know for a fact that they are only giving about 30% disability. I lucked out with 100% disability. If you have any specific questions please ask me.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#272 - 03/29/00 03:16 PM

What I really meant to ask was: How often do they screen for HIV? Is it built into routine medical evaluations?

Thanks for you help! :)

JP Burns
Unregistered

#273 - 03/29/00 03:16 PM

I was wonder how often you need to be tested? Surely common sense and safe sex would eliminate some of your apprehension.

I was diagnosed in 1985 when the military started testing all blood donations. (too bad I didn't get 100% disability).

Anyhow, if you are really worried about it you can ask to have the test done at anytime, as often as you like. As far as I am aware it is not standard for regular physicals.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#3782 - 05/05/00 02:29 AM

I'm Airforce now. But the Military use to test every year. now since it cost so much, they only test once every 5 years or if you are going on a tour of duty. Also, if your job is critical and cause for regular testing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4927 - 06/05/00 05:51 PM

I am an Air Force health care worker. The HIV test is given once a year to health care workers who are considered high risk personnel (ie work that involves a possible exposure to blood or bodily fluids.) It is also required for cops and fireman, since they are emergency responders and have the potential to come in contact blood or bodily fluids.
We also test patients who have had an exposure to a sexually transmitted disease.
For personnel PCSing (re-assigned) to an overseas duty station, it is a requirement that military personnel have a HIV test accomplished prior to entering that country (almost all countries do not allow HIV pos military to enter the country).
Finally with new physical requirements, all other military (non - medical or emergency) personnel are tested once every two years.
And last but not least, anyone can have a "confidence check" by just asking for one.
As for the sister services, I cannot comment on the frequency they use. I would imagine that with recent surge in deployments that they would keep the same schedule.

Hope this info helps!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#6592 - 07/04/00 11:16 AM

I cannot speak for the Army, but the Air Force gives everyone an HIV test during their annual Physical Health Assesment. Usually done in out birth month.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Post deleted by thebody new
      #13851 - 12/15/00 01:09 PM

Anonymous
Unregistered

#137409 - 03/10/05 02:53 PM

just recently a friend of my been decline because he was tested positive

Anonymous
Unregistered

#167035 - 12/15/05 05:58 AM

you can go either to your aid station or call your on base clinic and get tested as many times as you want or just wait till your current test becomes uncurrent i think thats every 2 years and they will tell you you have to get tested.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 25306

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement