Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Past Forums (read only) >> HIV/AIDS in the Military

Pages: 1
lgb

Reged: 03/24/09
Just got diagnosed with HIV
      #245099 - 03/24/09 03:06 PM

Hey all
I'm just a 20 year old guy, who was just diagnosed with hiv about two weeks ago, and I am also in the military reserves. At the beginning I was fine with it, I didnt feel like my life was going to change at all, but now the more I know that I have it, im starting to get scare about everything. What do I do, Im going to school, and I dont feel like going to class, but if I drop out what would i do then, my financial aid will have to be paid back, which i dont have the money for it, I dont wanna get kicked out of the army because I wanted to make a career or something out of it, I've only been in it for 3 years and still got 5 to go for my contract to end, which I was hoping to re-enlist.
Evrything is going through my head right now, I cant concentrate on what im doing and I cant figure out why. I dont even know who I got the diseased from, because everyone I had sex with were "completely sane" or so they say.....
I did read about the HoustoN, TX research, and I am really looking forward to that and thats one of the things that keeps me going, but not everything else that kept me going when I found out I had the disease, like studying harder, get where I wanted to be and living a healthy life, I dont what to do, but I do know that I want to live a normal life and be able to stay in the military as long as I can, but I dont want it to end now

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dakotalagrange
Regular

Reged: 07/26/04
Re: Just got diagnosed with HIV new
      #245149 - 03/27/09 08:46 PM

I just wanted to let you know that you are going to be fine. I was in the army reserve for 12 years and was a grad student in college when I found out that I was HIV positive. The military will retain you. I have been positive for 7 years. The military requires me to submit an annual physical including blood work and chest xray. This is sent up through the higher command and they continue to monitor me to ensure that I am still retainable. I am currently not on any meds and see the doctor every 6 months. In the beginning, I was absolutely devastated and didn't think that I would be able to finish grad school. However, I chose to survive. I surrounded myself with a strong support system and taught myself that I was still a person with gifts to offer this world and learned that I have accomplishments that no one can take away from me. I was able to get a good job with great benefits to include health and life insurance. Our stories seem so similar. Trust me, you are going to be fine. You will see this differently over time. You are an awesome person with a lot yet to offer this world. Make the most of life. Take care of yourself, eat well, exercise and see your doctor. You will learn that you can manage this disease. I wish you luck and encourage you to find a support group and connect with others on this site.

Secretive

Reged: 11/06/09
      #249046 - 01/08/10 02:27 PM

I know someone in the Air Force Reserve who tested positive and they told her to stop attending drill 5 months ago. She wants to stay in who would she talk to? She hasn't received any correspondence from her unit. Not even test results in writing. After she stopped going they
had HIV prevention training and some
have assumed it's her that has it. She has 3 years to go.

PartlyCloudy

Reged: 06/29/10
Loc: Texas
      #250951 - 06/29/10 08:37 PM

I tested positive in March of 1987 while on active duty Army. The first thing you should know is the military's retention standard. If the Medical Corps finds you fit for retention under regulations, then there should be no problem with re-enlistment. I say "should be", but there always is a problem. That being said, stick with school as it can only further a career choice. If you are a benefit to the military, the chances there will be a problem re-enlisting are then diminished... but to what degree I could not say. Bottom line: plan to have a future. Most people who test positive cannot see beyond the diagnosis. They find themselves thinking their life is over. I have survived so far for 23 years now, and still going strong. As for being reserve or any other branch of military service keep a couple things in mind... the lesser number of people who know the better. I had orders to alert my COC, my mistake was following that order. They told the entire Unit. Secondly, keep copies of all pertinent records for your own protection. If you tested positive while entitled to base pay, then it will be a service connected disability later on. This will, at the very least, give you essentially free care through the VA. You are a reservist, so I am uncertain as to the rules governing what constitutes "service connected" for you, but if I were in your shoes I would certainly aim at finding out. Lastly, this is not the time for you to "lose it". Do not succumb to drinking or self medicating in any way as this can only compound any problems you might already be experiencing. Stay focused on what you need, where you want be, and what you want to do. One shot, one kill soldier... hit the target or hit the ground.

--------------------
One cannot always be a hero, but one can always be a human.

beehive

Reged: 08/24/10
Loc: Malaysia
      #251786 - 08/24/10 05:29 AM

Hi...

I am writing this from Malaysia, and I am writing this to give you courage. I got infected because I got raped at age 16 by my own uncle and I got pregnant to a baby girl.

I have been having tough life without a parents for almost 15 yrs and when everything seems good I got a news that me and my daughter got HIV positive. so what we do?

Of course I was as afraid as you, I cried, I hate the world, I thought GOD are being funny with me and I thought I got enough suffering throughout my life.

I didn't kill my spirit. I finish my degree, I work in radio station in my country and I fight and fight hard on this scumbag virus. I start taking my HAART medicaton and I am fine.

If I can do,,,, u can too. If you feel like asking any question, u may email me at beehivemrtn@aol.com

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12553

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement