Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Past Forums (read only) >> HIV/AIDS in the Military

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Generation Of Elisa
      #17650 - 04/30/01 08:22 PM

Does anybody know what generation or version of Elisa antibody screening test that the Navy uses? Does the Navy only test for HIV-1? How about HIV-2? I've heard that older versions of antibody tests do not test for all the different strains of HIV-1. Seems that you must use the latest version of Elisa antibody test in order to be screened for most all strains of HIV-1, and I'm trying to find out if the test that the Navy uses would be conclusive for all strains of HIV-1 (and HIV-2). Main concern is that I have had (and continue to have) symptoms of HIV, but have tested antibody negative. None of the Navy medical people I talk to seem to know for sure what version of antibody test the Navy uses. Thanks for any info.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
POZNavy
Unregistered

Re: Generation Of Elisa new
      #17766 - 05/09/01 03:14 AM

The Navy standard test I believe only checks for HIV-1. They have the ability to test for HIV-2 on request. I would suggest going to your local Health Dept. Most all check for both. Being in the Med field in the Navy I know you have to keep on them to check for all possibilities. Remember HIV is just a Virus. You may have and any number of problems which are not at all HIV related. Keep pushing them to check. Best of luck.

HotSacGuy

Reged: 05/13/01
Loc: Sacramento, CA
Re: Generation Of Elisa new
      #18175 - 06/03/01 10:19 PM

I was for a period of time the Medical Coordinator for HIV+ service member at Bthesda Naval Hospital and I can say in the standard screen the Elisa will pull HIV-1 & 2 but NOT HTLV. Any possiable positive (even a partial envelope) on the Elisa automaticaly mandates a Western Blot. So in general terms the only infection that the current DOD testing poicies will not detect is HTLV.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5666

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement