Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Past Forums (read only) >> HIV/AIDS in the Military

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

marine encounter
      #111979 - 09/27/04 09:30 PM

I have to start by writing that it has been so reassuring to read other postings. When you are waiting for hiv test results it feels like you're on a little island alone, or orbiting the planet, it is comforting to know it is a shared experience! I don't want to go into details, but my question (if there's anyone out there who can answer it) is, I was told by the marine I had unprotected sex with that he is tested "all the time" for hiv, and has assured me I have nothing to worry about. My paranoia has erupted because he's never been deployed overseas, and was discharged two weeks after we met-he finished his enlistment. Is it true that marines have regular testing, and is it "normal" for a marine helicopter tech to never work overseas? My four week test results are coming in tomorrow, and I'm afraid it's turning into a long night...

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: marine encounter new
      #112072 - 09/30/04 10:06 AM

You will prob. have already received your results when you read this. The military tests its Active Component once a year and it's Reserve forces every five years. If a soldier is scheduled to be deployed, a test is done immediately. It is possible for a soldier to not serve any time overseas but it is rare in today's military. If a soldier tests positive, they are barred from performed duty overseas. It's a good possibility that this person is being honest with you. However, it's up to you to take the necessary precautions to protect yourself. I am in the military and am HIV positive.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#112095 - 09/30/04 10:12 PM

Thanks for replying, what is the rational for testing before going overseas? Are you still in the military? Will you stay enlisted? I hope I don't come across business-like, I'm ashamed of my particular circumstance and having a hard time writing about it. I'm not sure when the guilt ends and the forgiveness starts...as soon as possible, I've been told. I don't know anything about military life and have now, through this experience, found myself caught up in curiosity. I don't know my hiv status yet. And this might sound strange (email always has an unintentional bluntness to it), but I heard someone say once that "death is the sugar that makes life sweet" and so I'm trying to stop worrying and enjoy my time here. As a nurse I've seen illness and death, I know I'm fortunate to have lived so long and so happily...I hope you're having a happy life too.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#112124 - 10/01/04 09:03 AM

what test/ generation test does the military use, for active and dependants
thanks

Anonymous
Unregistered

#112372 - 10/06/04 09:19 AM

Yes, I am still in the military. You cannot travel overseas for fear that you could possibly infect someone else. I guess the military automatically assumes that we are going to engage in irresponsible behavior. My life is good. I have moved past the disease and have learned to live a productive life and maintain a successful career. Keep your hopes alive and you can handle it no matter if the result is negative or positive. Good Luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#112392 - 10/06/04 07:24 PM

I'd like to respond to this message thread to correct a few errors. I am a doctor in the military. The Navy and Marine Corps test their active-duty force every 2 years now and the reserve force is currently still tested annually. The reason for the restriction from deployment is NOT because they don't want someone to infect someone else (that is true here in the US AND overseas) but deployment to an isolated area overseas could be detrimental to the health of the individual who is HIV positive (limited or absent medical services). Also, the military screens service members with the ELISA test and a reflex western blot if the ELISA is positive.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#117928 - 11/28/04 03:16 PM

I was on active duty for 5 years in the Air Force and was tested anually however this was 1984-1989. Currently I am in the Air National Guard and our particular medical staff tests us once every 5 years and randomly in between using a process like random drug screening. The Elisa test used is for both HIV 1 and HIV 2.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#132973 - 01/16/05 07:08 AM

Just diagnosed positive. I'm a reservist. I want to stay in, are my chances slim?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#133555 - 01/26/05 10:12 AM

[quote]I have to start by writing that it has been so reassuring to read other postings. When you are waiting for hiv test results it feels like you're on a little island alone, or orbiting the planet, it is comforting to know it is a shared experience! I don't want to go into details, but my question (if there's anyone out there who can answer it) is, I was told by the marine I had unprotected sex with that he is tested "all the time" for hiv, and has assured me I have nothing to worry about. My paranoia has erupted because he's never been deployed overseas, and was discharged two weeks after we met-he finished his enlistment. Is it true that marines have regular testing, and is it "normal" for a marine helicopter tech to never work overseas? My four week test results are coming in tomorrow, and I'm afraid it's turning into a long night... [/quote]

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9953

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3

Advertisement