Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did lose my job...need encouragement, resources
      #94150 - 04/02/04 06:14 AM

Given choice to quit or be fired today, too many months not being able to work scheduled number of hours. I wasn't extremely worried at first, have retirement $, SS, etc. Well, I may not get ANY retirement allotment for 90 days after last day of work, then not much. No SS until 62 or qualify for disability which I know will be probably a year. I have a place to live, but no income for 3 months? Yikes! If I end up having to pay for part of my insurance which is over $600
a month....I didn't think this would be the financial nightmare it's turning into. There are no AIDS services in my city, there is State program which helps me with meds, etc., no "cash" assistance. Could Ryan White fund help? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: I did lose my job...need encouragement, resources new
      #94152 - 04/02/04 08:12 AM

what city are you in?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94199 - 04/02/04 08:17 PM

what types of illnesses kept you from working?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94496 - 04/06/04 03:31 AM

Salem, Oregon. I am looking into getting an HIV casemanager through the county, I may be able to get assistance there. I am trying to find out if the ADAP program here will pay my medical insurance premium (COBRA), they now pay half. Maybe even unemployment, they state if you lose the job "through no fault of your own", which applies to me. My health is not stable and I couldn't work enough hours to keep my job. I am more positive than I was, any words of encouragement, resources appreciated! Sorry long to reply, sinus problems again. (I paid rent to move in with b/f and sister this month, now that is on hold. Bummer). Thanks.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94497 - 04/06/04 03:31 AM

Salem, Oregon, thank.s

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94498 - 04/06/04 03:34 AM

No AIDS related per se....chronic sinus problems, flu all winter(even after flu shot!), herpes, allergies, severe depression and insomnia (some of these I had pre HIV, the HIV has exascerbated some). Some fatigue, alot of anxiety. Female problems...dr has mentioned hysterectomy, on pill to control but may not be able to stay on it, also developing high blood pressure (hereditary).

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94519 - 04/06/04 09:08 PM

So you are a female. I am a straight male and I am having a problem with support groups. They are just not like me. Not that I feel that there is a problem with them but it is more depressing to go to them than not.

I understand that you are affraid of financial problems. From what you have described you do have things going on the right track. I used to work for social services with the county and it sounds like you are eligible for social security dissability from what I have read until your social security kicks in a year from now.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94622 - 04/07/04 04:37 PM

It is tough but you have to keep fighting

Nancy
Unregistered

#94636 - 04/07/04 06:30 PM

Wait! Have you talked with an attorney? Call the Am. Bar Association's AIDS Coordination Project in Washington, DC at 202.662.1025 for a referral to an HIV-savvy attorney in your area. Worry about the bill later: ask if s/he can help you preserve your benefits, if your job had them. Quit or be fired shouldn't be the only alternatives! Seek to negotiate a settlement that preserves your benefits or puts you out on disability leave. Then paying the attorney--if there's a bill at all--won't be such a problem. Don't let them intimidate you out of a job! This is why disability leave exists. Check to see if you paid into short term disability or state disability.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94644 - 04/07/04 10:07 PM

Its terrible to lose you job because you can no longer endure the hours. I went thru the same event 3 years ago. I was fired after my employer found out I was HIV positive. I sued my employer and we settled for a hefty amount. You might want to double check and verify if you have a disabilty policy with your employer. It took 3 attorneys before one would take my case against my prior employer, you do have rights, with HIV or AIDS it doesnt matter. They must at the very least try to adjust your workload or find another position that you can do. Or give you time off to get your energy level back. Good luck to you. I cannot give my name due to the terms of my settlement, but I can tell you it was several hundred thousand dollars.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Contacting an attorney/job separation new
      #94917 - 04/10/04 08:01 AM

My concern isn't with the separation itself, I am positive they were justified, part of the reason was paying my insurance when my hours dropped below required number of hours, that became a problem. They accomodated me as much as possible...flexible schedule, change in job duties. Telecommunicating was not an option due to confidentiality, other factors. This was a State government job, and very policy savvy management and personnel. I'm not concerned about discrimination, my status was/is common knowledge, previous staff and supervisors very supportive and confidential. (Especially now under HIPAA). Not concerned they violated ADA policy, etc. I am worried about POST employment issues...my retirement fund..do I have to go the Disability retirement, I prefer to rollover... should I file for unemployment? I have short term disability. The county may be able to provide some assistance financially. These are the questions, I am looking into other possibilities. Thanks for your legitimate legal concern Nancy! I understand why you
are coming from your perspective. Hope this clarifies.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Also lost job/settlement new
      #94918 - 04/10/04 08:10 AM

Sorry to hear you lost your job! I don't intend to sue, although I may have a slight case...did they accomodate me enough, due to computer access, building hours, privacy rules, etc. there were limitations, telecommuting not possible. (State gov't employer). Actually, current mgmt and prior managment (back years) know of HIV status, very supportive and confidential. Manager and their manager and personnel all were involved in mtg. resulting in my resignation, they did not want to fire me. (All my perfomance reviews were excellent, great staff relationships, etc). But they did adjust my schedule, and changed my workload, but it just became too many hours and too often. The paying of my insurance premium became a legal issue for them, they realized they can't continue to cover me if I work under a certain number of hours. I really feel everything possible was done. I did for a moment wonder though....thanks for your input, good luck to you! It sounds like your case was totally justified. Your management should've thought about the legal ramifications.
Too late for them!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Support group/SSI new
      #94919 - 04/10/04 08:21 AM

There was a support group (females) but for a number of reasons it fizzled. Pretty sad. From what I've heard the
HIV+men fared better, probably because the gay male community here is more active/proactive (towards gay or HIV/ heterosexual males), positive females are a much smaller %. That was part of the problem, not enough participants. Luckily I have found support in other ways, an HIV+man who has became a great online buddy, family, etc. Yes, the fianancial concerns were the first, I am finding there is more assistance through county (any info as you did work in social services for county, types of assistance, how long? . Luckily I have an IRA, it's deciding how to deal with it. ADAP program here will pay my full insurance premium, they already pay all med copays. I'm looking into other sources, I am more hopeful. (Although SSI is going to be a nightmare....forms, forms, more forms, and at least a year decision). Thanks for your reply! You are the only one that really feels I have a pretty good shot, (I hear the usually automatically deny first time, etc. and since you worked in a related field I would find you more credible than anyone.
Good luck with your situation, and finding the right support!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#95232 - 04/13/04 06:38 AM

HI ))) I don't know what your current health status is, but if u qualify for SSDI that would also entitle u to medicare and probably your state health coverage. Also being that u worked for the state they must have long tern disablity I would think. Look into it and have your doctor back u in this. It's important that u take care of yourself and gt the coverage u need to do so and have peace of mind : )
Chris

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5715

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3