Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is there life after job of 15 years ending....
      #93973 - 03/31/04 02:26 AM

I have been HIV+ since 1990. No AIDS related illness, counts okay, but becoming resistant so that's something to deal with. But alot of other health problems...depression, insomnia, herpes, allergies, anxiety, chronic sinus infections, high cholesterol, developing high blood pressure. Soome of these had prior to HIV. Flu constantly during flu season. I am on the verge of losing part time job w/State gov't for too many months into lwop. I have a note from doctor indicating
there may be occasions when this may happen, and could they also allow as flexible a schedule as possible. They have done this to the extent they could, but it isn't enough.
My boss pretty much put in on the table today, because this month has been the worst (sinus infection and flu again).
She doesn't even have definate policy, most people quit and apply for disability, or go out on medical leave and come back
(not an option for me). She is "warning" me that I probably will lose my job, and asked if I applied for disability? I think she is trying to give me an "out" of just quitting, so I don't have to "get fired". (She has health problems and understands my health problems). I requested 2 weeks to
get 2 recent medical problems under control, I don't know why. I don't think this will matter, realistically I can't promise I won't go into LWOP. It doesn't matter how much anymore, it's that I can't get out of that. I don't have any legal problems with this, I just need to know I can handle it! I have a place to live if needed, I have some retirement $, help towards meds and insurance, at least for awhile. Just need some support, and is anyone in this boat? Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Is there life after job of 15 years ending.... new
      #93995 - 03/31/04 07:34 AM

I filed for disability 10 years ago after trying to hang on to my job for years with constant health problems. I had a private disability policy, so the claim didn't have much hassles. However, I know that gov. disability is a hassle to get. If it was me, before I do anything, I would go to AIDS services, tell them the situation and see what assistance they can give you. I did not research anything when I filed for disability and I screwed myself out of a lot of benefits through my job by just quitting. Definitely, check everything out first!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94010 - 03/31/04 06:25 PM

You may find other people in this boad if you contact your local AIDS organization. Maybe the can advise you. YOu can also read the stuff here: http://www.thebody.com/workplace/legal.html
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Workplace/

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94143 - 04/02/04 05:57 AM

Thanks, it's official, I'm out 4/30. Now going through nightmare of getting my retirement, keeping insurance. Still in shock too. These boards are great.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#94144 - 04/02/04 06:00 AM

Glad you were "covered"! I have short term insurance which I may qualify for. I had no choice but to quit, it was that or be fired. They couldn't continue to pay my benefits, etc. when I wasn't working the required hours. Now the battle for
disability....yes, I know it's going to be a long rough road there. And getting my retirement money, oh what a mess!
Thanks.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1415

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3