Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hairy Leukoplakia
      #91684 - 03/09/04 10:30 PM

I developed hairy leukoplakia on one side of my tongue around chritmas time. It is still there. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long after you get this you have to go on meds. My t-cells were 450 in October. Vl undetectable w/o meds. Maybe the pcr isnt the right one. I have read that a person with ohl at these cd4 levels usualy has a high vl.

Any input out there?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Hairy Leukoplakia new
      #91717 - 03/10/04 08:42 AM

I am no expert, but this is common with HIV. I have had it for over 20 years and no significant HIV health related problems. Ask your Dr.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#91747 - 03/10/04 05:34 PM

Wow! It is great to hear that. Are you on meds though. The doc says that it could mean that I have to start soon.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#91755 - 03/10/04 08:09 PM

The OHL was first noticed by my dentist in 1986. Didn't start meds until 2000. If you are concerned about starting meds, you need to undergo t-cell and viral load testing. The opinions on starting meds vary, but there are several good articles on this site. Plus, find a good HIV Dr. Good luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#91866 - 03/11/04 07:52 PM

I am so supprised. My doctor and dentist noticed nothing until I asked them.

Thankyou for telling me your real life story. It is hard when you have to fill in the blanks by yourself.

My cd4 ir 450 with no apparent vl. I think that the tests that they use cant pick it up.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#91875 - 03/11/04 09:18 PM

Your welcome! Nice to be appreciated! LOL! One thing I have learned in the 20 years of HIV is that you have to be the one in charge of your health care. Don't take anything that one Dr. or DDS. tells you (or not) as the gospel. Inform yourself as much as possible and expect and demand the best treatment from all your medical personnel. After all, it is OUR lives, not theirs. Apologies to all the fine Drs. and medical personnel who have put up with this difficult old fart!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#91962 - 03/12/04 06:27 PM

I dont know if you can help me, but do you know anything about AIDS/HIV in the older population?? Thanks

Anonymous
Unregistered

#91963 - 03/12/04 06:30 PM

I think that I have had hiv for ten years without treatment. I am not sick yet but scared. Can I keep my job? How long do I have until it gets bad. Then what do I do. I will repeat that the doctors have no idea what they are talking about. Been to many.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#91987 - 03/12/04 07:14 PM

Sure you can keep your job, enjoy life and love! AIDS is no longer an instant death sentence. Be responsible, search out a good HIV Dr., inform yourself, join a support group, and screw fear! I am 53 and my Dr. says that most of my problems aren't HIV related, but AGE related. He even stated that he thought he would never see the day when his patients would be experiencing the problems of getting old! LOL!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#92083 - 03/13/04 12:28 PM

Wow that is great.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying that you have been positive for 20 years? And that you are stil healthy? If so is it common for someone to go that long or are you an exception?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#92328 - 03/15/04 09:42 PM

Sure, there are lots of us "long term survivors"! Current research indicates that time from initial treatment to treatment failure may exceed 20 years. And during that 20 years there will be more and better treatments. The key is to address health problems immediately, but at the same time, don't accept placidly what the Dr. tells you. Knowledge is power. Develop a good support system, work on your personal issues, work on spirituality, eliminate stress, exercise, eat right, help others, and don't be ashamed of having HIV. I am very open about my status and receive love and support wherever I go! Shit, I even have more dates! LOL! I will say that the people who "go out quickly" are those that play the victim role, are filled with anger, and see only the negative. The positive thinking mind is a powerful tool.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4596

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3