Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
John H
Unregistered

Castleman's Syndrome
      #90153 - 02/22/04 02:22 PM

My friend Woody has Castleman’s Syndrome.

He’s failed on two chemotherapy drugs, cytoxan and rituximab. His physicians at UCLA Medical Center / Westwood have initiated treatment with the new anti-cancer drug Velcade. Blue Cross of California has now refused to cover the cost of Velcade. The appeal is now pending for an Independent Medical Review with the State of California Department of Managed Care.

Does anyone have any knowledge they could add for the treatment of Castleman’s with Velcade? This may assist the State in making a decision?

Can anyone offer any assistance in recommending an activist attorney who has knowledge of HIV issues and complications of HIV? Castleman’s Syndrome is a complication of HIV that does not fit the Blue Cross “algorithms”.

Woody was hospitalized at St. Joseph’s Medical Center in Burbank under the “care” of the Lakeside Medical Group for weeks in the middle of 2003. A friend recommended we talk to a Doctor at UCLA, who diagnosed him within two minutes. Now that we found the Doctor’s who can treat the illness, Blue Cross of California is interfering with the Doctor’s decisions, even after treatment has been initiated. We’ve been told this borders on malpractice, bad faith, and quality of care issues.

Any help would be appreciated. Please respond to noho1@adelphia.net

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brent4861
Regular

Reged: 10/18/01
Loc: Chicago, IL. ~ USA
Re: Castleman's Syndrome new
      #90168 - 02/22/04 05:25 PM

So all I could find on google was this list.
no syndrome here.
I'm sure I am not the onlyone curious about learning exactly what this condition is even if we can't help.
However lymph cancer is hard to cure.

http://www.whonamedit.com/syndlist.cfm/167

Castleman's angiofollicular hyperplasia (Castleman's disease)
A pathological condition characterized by large, benign, hyperplastic lymph nodes containing concentric perivascular aggregates of lymphocytes.
Castleman's disease
A pathological condition characterized by large, benign, hyperplastic lymph nodes containing concentric perivascular aggregates of lymphocytes.
Castleman's disease (Castleman's tumour)
Unusual mediastinal lymph node hyperplasia resembling thymoma.
Castleman's lymphadenopathy (Castleman's disease)
Castleman's lymphoma (Castleman's tumour)
Castleman's tumour (Castleman's disease)
Castleman's tumour

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1334

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3