Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Oklahomaguy
Unregistered

New diagnosis-HIV
      #80045 - 01/07/04 01:09 PM

I found out I was positive about a week before Thanksgiving and two weeks after my Dad's death. I have been in quite a funk and have some major issue in my mind. I have taken off work and will be for a little while longer.

I have not stated meds as my dr is figuring out where I'm at.

I was wondering if there are good ways to boost the ammune system. I have quit smoking and drinking since my last visit with the dr and trying to eat better and exercise.

I'm concerned about telling my Mom who is so close but I have kept her at bay as of late.

Before I found out I was positive I was very stressed with work and the poor work environment and the loss of my Dad. The HIV status hit me like a lead brick and seems to be getting worse instead of better. My dr told me to call her if I thought of suicide, I know why she said that now more than when she said it. Hey, I don't think I'm anywhere near that point but have thought about it.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: New diagnosis-HIV new
      #80080 - 01/07/04 05:48 PM

Sending you an enormous hug. It's so easy to feel alone. But remember that you musn't feel guilty - that was one reason I found it so hard to tell my mum, because I felt like it was my fault. No one's guilty in this. Well done for giving up smoking - that'll be a huge help. The best ways to boost the immune system naturally are a good, varied diet (loads of fruit and veggies), sleep and exercise (start slowly, build up gradually). It's great that you're in a frame of mind saying 'how can I last longer?'. I was more like 'When am I going to die?' at this point.

Take care of yourself and DON'T feel guilty. xxx

Slimchance49
Unregistered

#80238 - 01/08/04 08:44 PM

Just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I have been aware of my status for 2 years now. Started meds with CD4 count of 220 and VL of 23,000. Taking Kaletra/Combivir combination and now my CD4 is 550 and VL is undetectable. There is life after diagnosis! Keep stress level as low as possible and eat as healthy as you can. I take vitamins but don't overdo it. Get some exercise daily and limit your alcohol. Your liver will thank you. Prayer doesn't hurt either. Also, a compassionate listener is most welcome. Everyone needs to vent occasionally. Works wonders for me. Life is great if you want it to be. One more thing that is VERY IMPORTANT...Take your meds like your life depended upon it...because it does!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#80558 - 01/11/04 05:02 PM

Focus on your health, your results, read and educate yourself re meds, etc..it helps! Give up tea/coffee, drink and drugs, eat well and don't get over-tired. If your doc decides you need drugs, then the first week or so can be a bit tricky, but meds these days are amazing. I was diagnosed one year ago, and have been on drugs since - never been healthier. Also, personally I found it useful to tell some friends - talking about it, and your results can be a release.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1995

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3