Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Life Insurance
      #74375 - 10/07/03 11:59 PM

I met with a financial planner this afternoon and ended up purchasing a life insurance policy (something I wanted to do). We ended up completing the application in my office (which I wasnt expecting to do).

I didn't realize how personal some of the health questions were and ended up fibbing on some of the answers. I live in a small town and dont want my HIV status and a few other conditions related to HIV to become common knowledge. I know this person and am sure he would be confidential about my information, but he kinda caught me off guard.

How closely do the insurance companies research the answers provided? I am not sure what to do... any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Life Insurance new
      #74501 - 10/08/03 02:17 PM

HIV and or Aids are considered pre-existing conditions. Your policy may not pay if either of these is listed on your death certificate. You may want to look into the "no questions asked" type of insurance policies. Hope this helps. In any case do your homework and make sure you are not throwing your money away. Best of luck and God Bless

romegeorgiabuddy

Reged: 10/22/03
      #76570 - 10/23/03 11:36 PM

A lot of life insurance companies now eventually require a blood test... but ultimately you lied on your application. Shame on you - just picking on you. But I had an appointment with a person about life insurance and before the appointment I found out I was poz. I filled out all the paperwork, they cashed the check and then called to set up an appointment for the nurse to draw blood for my bloodwork. I am certainly curious to hear what happens - please write back ...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#77035 - 10/27/03 09:14 PM

Well, I was granted the policy (they cashed the check also!), yet I read something about a 2-year clause. who knows, they might be investigating me right now! I've not read anything about requiring a blood test - was that in your paperwork?

I did get my MIB report (the insurance company's information database, and my report was clear.... sooooo how knows. I'll keep ya posted.....

Anonymous
Unregistered

Fibbing is still lying... new
      #78288 - 11/15/03 05:58 PM

The moral issues are for you to figure out. Once you apply for insurance you sign away your medical privacy, though that does not extend to your local insurance agent, small town or not. Fibbing is still lying unless your own medical records contain no mention of HIV or any other chronic or life-threatening disease. In that case you are still lying but would get away with it, though I doubt it. I don't believe there is any type of life or long-term care insurance policy that doesn't at least ask one question concerning "AIDS, ARC, or HIV." The smart insurers ask all 3 ways. It is fraud to lie. Just like a smoker who checks "non-smoker" to get a lower premium. The practical matter is you will either provide your blood for testing or all your medical records that will be permanently archived by the BMI and thus available to any company you request insurance from in future. Let's say you lied; after 2 years of premium payments, most insurers just don't challenge their insured anymore, won't drop you, but certainly could if they could prove fraud. If you are able to work you can get employer-provided insurance without application, and without refusal. I have several times. I am not well, but plenty well enough to work. No fraud. I even sold one of these policies to a viactical business after leaving employ (and arranging to pay a few months premium out of pocket). I would like to get long-term care insurance. unfortunately, I will not ever carry such a policy, unless its granted as part of automatic group coverage. The next job I have will probably be my last life insurance policy. I will keep it, even paying premium, for my partner. I strongly urge HIV negative folks at risk of HIV (like sexually active promiscuous youngsters) to buy a nice big policy while they can, though this advice hardly fits the demographic profile of a community of hedonists (lol). None of the replies mentioned the different laws in each State. I live in CA. There might be differing State laws that affect our discussion. Any lawyers out there?

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Fibbing is still lying... new
      #78413 - 11/18/03 11:09 PM

I agree with all the moral issues. I sent away to BMI for my listings and they had no information on me. I dont think I can cancel without questions - especially in a small town. Come what may....... Thanks for the views!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#104178 - 07/29/04 11:45 AM

sorry but that is fraud and its eligle which makes ur policy voided...and they will get records from all dr treated u and if ur still alive the will prosacute u the dr is required to report ur hiv status to federal registry which dr and courts and insurance companys can check and u gave them the right when u sign policy .even if u dont get caught they wont pay whrn u die and they ussually catch ppl when they cash in policys before they die due to terminal illness

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1909

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3