Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Housing Search
      #69212 - 08/13/03 07:37 PM

Hello!

Been living with AIDS for almost three years now (still fighting for disability) not able to work and being forced to move. I've been accepted into a housing program but have to find new home for me and my dog. I understand the reasonable accomodation stuff and my rights and that my dog is a therapy animal. What I'm having trouble with is how to use this information when looking for housing.

My question for those in a similar situation -- What did you do? How did you approach potential landlords? What worked and didn't work?

Thanks!
T

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Housing Search new
      #69315 - 08/14/03 12:54 PM

IT helps to go through an AIDS program...I know GMHC in nyc if you become a client will help find the housing. Don't know about your state. Also in NYC there is housing works. Have you become a client of and AIDS organization? Often they can help.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#69334 - 08/15/03 10:19 PM

Yes, I am a client of the local AIDS service organization. Unfortunately the only help they provide is putting me into someone else's housing program. They also provide application fees and a security deposit. Beyond that, I'm on my own.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#69368 - 08/16/03 09:10 PM

It's so hard to respond cause every city is different. NYC is a pretty liberal city. Always dress in a suit and look like a banker. And act like you have aquiet, boring life, Be as likable and charming as you can. Don't bring up dog. Most leases allow them. That's the only advise i can give! good luck!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1840

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3