Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

please help info about hiv-2
      #56544 - 01/28/03 03:36 PM

hello all,can anyone hepl with questions about hiv-2,i had a sexual encounter with an indian guy and now fear about hiv -2.what is the window period does the test for hiv 1 show the result fot hiv 2 please help.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: please help info about hiv-2 new
      #56621 - 01/28/03 08:54 PM

Read the following fact sheet from the CDC:

http://www.thebody.com/cdc/hiv2.html

ALSO:
HIV-2 infection is not a problem in the United States. 94 cases of HIV-2 infection have been reported in the U.S. (2001). HIV-2 is endemic in certain regions of Africa.

HIV-1 antibody tests will detect HIV-2 infections about 70% of the time. If risk for HIV-2 infection exists, HIV-2 specific antibody tests should be used. Unless you have been informed otherwise, you should assume that you have only been tested for HIV-1, as regular screening for HIV-2 is not widespread. Providers should inform you when screening for both types of HIV antibodies; however, asking your provider directly is probably your most reliable option.

If you live in the U.S., are at low-risk for infection, and have not had exposures to people at risk for HIV-2 infection (predominantly people from endemic regions in Africa--
Nigeria has a seroprevalence of HIV-2 (the amount of people currently infected) in 5% or less of the population. Significant rates of HIV-2 have been identified in the urban areas of Senegal, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire, Gambia, and Cape Verde. HIV-2 antibody testing would be recommended for anyone having exposures in these regions), then there is no need for aggressive screening for HIV-2 infection.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#56624 - 01/28/03 09:45 PM

Call GMHC AIDS Hotline: 1-800-243-7692 or
National AIDS Hotline: 1-800-342-2437 (24 hours a day, daily)

Anonymous
Unregistered

#56733 - 01/29/03 04:10 PM

Was this encounter in the US or India?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#56961 - 01/30/03 11:17 PM

it was in india,i did take a test there at a period of 4 months,at that time i was more concerned about hiv-1,the hospital tested me for both,now i live in the us,when i came
here i tested again but only for hiv-1,as they do not test for that here,now a year and a half has gone past and just about a month back i started getting low grade feaver and it has lasted for like a month.and that time i started getting paranoid about hiv-2,i've tried to get infoabout it
but i still dont know the window period.i'llhave to get tested again soon nowfor hiv-2.if u have any info about it.
please post your reply,i'm pretty regular at cheacking the board.thanks
kim

Anonymous
Unregistered

#57166 - 02/02/03 08:52 AM

It's been a year and a half, you have a low grade fever and you automatically think it's caused by HIV-2?

First off, what's your definition of a low grade fever? A low grade fever is defined as being a temperature of at least 100 and not more than 100.9. Anything under 100.0 is not considered a fever because of normal variances in body temperature.

Second off, you have had what is considered conclusively negative tests for both HIV1 and HIV2.

Third, I'm sure if you were to list all the possible causes of a low grade fever, you would be typing it all day. That type of fever is an indication of a low grade infection. Many things cause that type of fever and in most cases it resolves itself. If you continue to have a low grade fever for several weeks see your doctor to find the cause and get it cleared.

There is absolutely no reason to link what's happening to you now with an exposure that you've already tested negative a year and half ago.

You're starting show signs of being a Worried Well.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#57633 - 02/07/03 04:23 AM

I'm confused, I know there is not just one strain of HIV anymore, but you mean the window for HIV of any type? I have read and heard average is 6 months, but can be less, or years. I hope you can get medical advice on this, and hopefully you will stay HIV negative.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#60173 - 03/08/03 09:35 AM

Just FYI. Nigeria does not have a prevalence of HIV 2.
HIV 1 is prevalent in Nigeria wit HIV 2 being less prevalent. Please, get your facts straight.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2669

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3