The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1

Darkened nails
      #48061 - 12/10/02 04:26 AM

I have been living with HIV/medication for the last 18 months. When I was diagnosed, my TC count was 97 and my viral load was over 500,000. With a regiment of Sustiva and Trizivir, my numbers have drastically turned around. Now my viral load is undetectable and my TC count is well over 700. I am currently only on Trizivir, due to these positive results.

I am very blessed to have been able to turn these numbers around. i realize that many people are not in my position, as far as having a positive reaction to the medications and not having any (other) opportunistic infections.

An unfortunate side effect of my medication (Trizivir - azt), has been DARKENED NAILS. In the scope of my situation (status), and what my situation was and/or could be I understand that this (my question) could be viewed as a petty concern.

I am a performer/model, so appearance is very important to my career. I am very leery of the stigma involved with being HIV+. Neither my family nor my business associates know of my status. I feel that my darkened nails are an open window to my status and that when people see me, they also see that I am HIV+. They may also question my sexuality. I have know for years that darkened nails was an after effect of azt meds, so I believe that I am a walking billboard of sorts, and this has effected me greatly - emotionally, spiritually and psychologically. I am in very good physical condition, and have been coming out of a spiritual, mental and emotional "slump".

Any info would be helpful. Thank you.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  

Re: Darkened nails new
      #48125 - 12/10/02 03:12 PM

I never heard of this side effect...ask one of the doctors at

But you have great counts! If that's the only side effect you are so lucky! And since no one would imagine that it's a side effect of taking drugs for HIV I wouldn't worry about disclosure. People get it from vitamin deficiancies...

Re: Darkened nails new
      #48129 - 12/10/02 04:32 PM

Its not mentioned in any of the indications as a side effect and I've never heard of this before. You may try covering them with a natural polish.

Pages: 1

What's New at

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, gigi, riverprincess 

You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3515

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3