HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
gregg629
Guardian

Reged: 04/16/01
Loc: Boston
Really Living with HIV
      #43115 - 11/06/02 04:10 PM

Hey, I've been HIV+ for over 4 years and have been on meds since the beginning. I've also been a member of thebody for many years and have met a lot of incredable people on here. I gave up the boards for quite a while because of all the BS I was getting from the dissidents. I thought I'd come back and try again to re-connect with some of the wonderful people I have met on here and see who's new. I'd like to see posts from other people who are positive on meds and doing well.

I work full time, I'm helping to raise my 7 year old son, I love going out with friends, to clubs or just being out and around people. I also work out 5 days a week and enjoy very much my time in the gym. I never had any ARS and very little side effects from the meds. I'm on Combivir and Sustiva. 2 years ago with my doctor’s approval I cut my combivir dose in half, meaning that I'm not taking my morning pill. I take 1 combivir and 1 600mg sustiva before going to bed. My VL has been undetectable since 90 days after starting meds and my CD4 has gone up from 250 - over 800.

I know that some people say that people like me are what's wrong with HIV today, that we have made it a non issue, a manageable condition that no one should be scared of, that it's irresponsible for people that are doing well to say "I'm doing well". For those of you who feel that way all I can say is too bad. I am doing well and while I understand that not everyone deals the same with the meds and not everyone is able to sustain the quality of life that I have I think it's important for people to know that it is possible to live with HIV.

I’m also interested in how other people deal with the whole safe sex thing. I constantly get in debates with HIV positive people who feel “Now that I’m positive I can throw away the condoms”. I don’t feel that just because you have HIV that you need to be excluded from safe sex. There are many other STD’s out there that I’d rather not pick up. Also how do you deal with negative people who want to have, what you consider, risky sex with you. This is also something that I run into a lot and something that I debate with friends.

While I know that the dissidents won’t care about this next part and will spout their AidsRC Cult BS regardless of what I say. I honestly don’t care what any of you have to say, I’m NOT asking for your opinion, what you think or your take on what I have written. I have gone round and round for years with Terry D, Kelly, John and many of the others on here who constantly sound like broken records, your not going to change my mind, and I’d just as soon not try to change yours, hopefully you’ll all die soon of complications of the Virus that you don’t think you have.

For those of you who are “Living” with HIV and doing well, or those of you who are trying to deal with it, I welcome your responses and hope that we can get this board back to what it can be.

Gregg

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Really Living with HIV new
      #43131 - 11/06/02 05:58 PM

Dear Gregg,

You are living proof that the 'dissidents' were right, at least in one respect. People have such short memories but do you not remember that only ten years ago the AIDS establishment said everyone with HIV
would contract AIDS and die. EVERYONE!

I remember a HEAL LA flyer that read "AIDS is not a death sentence" and the screaming attacks it provoked from AIDS activists. Time and time again, the dissident position is adopted by the AIDS
establishment and yet they still persist in calling us fools.

Fools we may be, but very, very lucky ones, if we always are proved correct.

We provide information and everyone is free it make their own evaluation.

Best wishes

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #43132 - 11/06/02 06:09 PM

Gregg,
We have sent notes back and forth a couple of times, as I have informed you I have been HIV+ since 1989, still working, still living a productive life. Just like you I have been on this site for many years and seen many people come and go. Even though the screen name changed because the trash I was receiving via e-mail from people telling me I was killing myself, and that I needed to read the dissident literature. I have read there sites and books, but I also have read the stuff they say doesn’t exist, the medical and scientific reports and papers that show the findings of how this disease works and kills. I have watched many friends progress and die from this, and have many friends that would not be here today if it were not for the drugs they preach against. Maybe they have never lost someone that they loved, a friend, a family member, but I have. Lets let them have there views, but I hope they take them somewhere else. Maybe they can buy an advertisement on the HIV/AIDS websites, and then if someone wants there propaganda they can click on it and go to the dissident website. But I have chosen to ignore as much as possible, but sometimes they go too far with there BS.

The G-Man

shadow1
Legend

Reged: 12/06/00
      #43133 - 11/06/02 06:12 PM

Wow, there is one.
A dissident that knows more about the web, and internet, than he knows about HIV & AIDS.

The G-Man

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #43136 - 11/06/02 06:29 PM

10 years ago we didn't have the medications we have today. At that point in time without the advancements in medication, the outlook was grim. At that point in time the 'establishment' could only look at past history to predict the future.

I had a friend that died back in Dec 95. one month before the first protease inhibitor was released. That was a real turning point in the management of this disease.

Times change. Situations change. The only thing that doesn't change is the same old retoric of the dissidents.

HIV doesn't mean a death sentence anymore, but not because the 'establishment' adopted your point of view. It's for the exact opposite reason. They persisted. They didn't hide their heads in the sand and hope if they pretended it didn't exist it would go away. It's because of the advancements in health care for people with HIV that we don't have an automatic death sentence anymore.

Now to get back to the topic of this thread. Welcome back Gregg. Glad to see your doing well!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43137 - 11/06/02 06:35 PM

"can see you dissidents know as much about the internet as you know about HIV & AIDS which is very little.

The G-Man

From "Am I Infected" yesterday. Point about short memory proved. At least you are learning that we DO know something, in one regard, at least. Proress!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43139 - 11/06/02 06:50 PM

Hi Gregg!

Welcome back! I've read a bunch of your postings and can't believe how patient you are and how caring. Such a contrast to many of the people who badger you. I hope they don't scare you away again! They are so very mistaken about HIV and it's sad that they seem to have so much extra time on their hands to spread their silly ideas.

Guys like you who work full time and are dealing with the meds and other responsibilities are the true heroes! I'm not on meds yet...but guys like you are my role models.

Also there have been lots of new research on superinfection. So I personally believe safe sex is important among the HIV positive.
Sam

gregg629
Guardian

#43155 - 11/06/02 10:04 PM

Hey Sam,

Thanks for your post. It means a lot to me to read what you wrote. It's nice to know that there are people out there who get it.

So how long have you been positive. You say your not on meds yet, that's great, how are your numbers?

Look forward to hearing more.

Gregg

Gregg

gregg629
Guardian

Thanks Gman & Jackie
      #43156 - 11/06/02 10:05 PM

It's nice to be back!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43198 - 11/07/02 03:14 PM

As usual. A dissident posting something that makes absolutly no sense. What in the world does your post have to do with anything that has been said in this thread? Do you people just live out in left field?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#43206 - 11/07/02 05:08 PM

Yikes, I hope you really don't want anyone to die of a virus as you state! I know people on HIV meds doing great (I support them) and also those who refuse to take the meds (I support them also) who are not only not sick but aren't deformed like I am from lipoatrophy. Maybe it's not a one size fits all problem!

Robert B
Unregistered

Re: Really Living with HIV
      #43251 - 11/07/02 11:30 PM

Good For You!!
You know, your attitude says more about you than all the words in the world. And you, my friend are heading the right way. FYI, you might want to look into immune26... It's an all-natural patented biotechnology product which contains antibodies & immune cofactors which might help you sustain your battle against this terrible disease. I get mine from a fellow at:
www.mylegacyforlife.net/long-life
I believe in this product. I have seen it help friends of mine with a number of autoimmune diseases, including fibromylgia, artherities & diabetes. I don't know anyone with HIV who is taking this product, & would love to hear about the success (or failure) of immune26 in combating HIV symptoms. Of course I've "heard" about the guy who took it, & now he's doing much better... but lets not go into the rumor & hearsay aspect.
Good Luck & keep the faith!
Robert B

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Really Living with HIV
      #43252 - 11/07/02 11:37 PM

Has this product been studied? Any benifits besides fattening the producers wallet? Any benificial product would pass these tests. But you say you have friends doing great. That's all I need!

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Thanks Gman & Jackie
      #43265 - 11/08/02 02:03 AM

Researchers Find AIDS Drugs Cause T Cell Death in Healthy, HIV Negative
Patients!

In the June 2, 2002 issue of Journal of Virology, researchers report an
astounding discovery: The protease inhibitor drugs Crixivan (indinavir) and
Invarase (saquinavir) caused T cell death in healthy HIV negative donor
blood in three separate experiments.

Authors Estaquier et al note: 'We treated PBMC [peripheral blood cells‚Ä*cells
circulating in the blood] from HIV-seronegative healthy donors with
increasing concentrations of IDV [indinavir], SQV [saquinavir], or ddI for 3
days and monitored T-cell proliferation and cell death. Both IDV and SQV
decreased T-cell proliferation mediated by CD3 MAb in three independent
experiments performed with healthy donor cells with a mean decrease for SQV
of 53% +/- 15% and a mean decrease for IDV of 48% +/- 12%.'

In other words, three experiments showed Crixivan and Invarase decreased
T-cell proliferation in the blood of healthy HIV-negative donors‚Ä*in the case
of Invarase, by more than half.

The following Reuters article glosses over the damning data and puts a
somewhat favorable spin on the findings with an equivocal summary statement
that 'protease inhibitors have the potential for both beneficial and
detrimental effects on CD4+ T cells...' (The study abstract is found at the
end of this emailer)

Protease Inhibitors May Influence HIV-1 Associated CD4+ T-Cell Death

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Jul 02 - Studies of factors associated with
peripheral blood T-cell apoptosis in HIV-1 infection indicate that
antiretroviral agents may influence such processes independently of their
antiretroviral effects.

Dr. Jerome Estaquier of the Institut Pasteur in Paris, France and colleagues
note that T-cell apoptosis plays an important part in the pathogenesis of
HIV infection.

To investigate, the researchers incubated CD4+ T cells from healthy donors
in the presence of HIV-1. Even without T-cell stimulation, this induced C95
expression and primed the cells for CD95- or CD3-mediated cell death.

Use of the reverse transcriptase inhibitor didanosine did not affect
CD95-mediated CD4 T-cell death, showing that such apoptosis does not depend
on CD4 T-cell infection. This suggests, say the investigators, that 'HIV-1
triggers at least two distinct death pathways.'

One pathway, they indicate, involves CD95 and does not require viral
replication, the other appears to be an independent viral-replication
mediated pathway.

In further studies, the team found that addition of the protease inhibitor
saquinavir at a concentration of 0.2 M decreased HIV-mediated CD95
expression and thus cell death. However, addition of saquinavir or indinavir
at concentrations of 10 M induced a loss of mitochondrial membrane potential
and cell death.

Thus, the investigators conclude, 'protease inhibitors have the potential
for both beneficial and detrimental effects on CD4+ T cells independent of
their antiretroviral effects.'

Journal of Virology 2002;76:5966-5973.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Thanks Gman & Jackie
      #43281 - 11/08/02 04:32 AM

I've seen the article. Results are with 5 times the blood level patients would have if taken as perscribed. The entire article also talks about how benificial those protease inhibitors are for viral suppession and t cell rebound.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7732

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3