Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
unsure
Unregistered

symptoms for you?
      #32918 - 04/25/02 05:43 AM

I was just wondering what an + people out there experianced in the first stages of HIV, what were your symptoms, if you had any?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
gregg629
Guardian

Reged: 04/16/01
Loc: Boston
Re: symptoms for you? new
      #32925 - 04/25/02 09:50 AM

Not sure if ARS (Acute Retroviral Syndrome)is what your asking about. ARS symptoms are reported by some people (tho not all) several weeks after infection. Many of the people who I have talked to report it to be the worst flu they had ever experienced. Other possible ARS symptoms include fever, rash, headache, diarrhea, thrush. HOWEVER and let me say that again H O W E V E R!!!!! These symptoms also have hundreds if not thousands of non HIV related reasons. Stress for example can lead to rash, headache, diarrea poor sleeping and lots of other things.

Other then the possibility of ARS there are no real symptoms that I have ever heard of or gone through in the first stages of HIV. At this stage your body is fighting against the virus. The lack of symptoms is why researchers feel that there are possibly so many people currently infected that have no idea that they are infected. (http://www.msnbc.com/news/715645.asp)

For me I have been positive now for going on 4 years and on meds for 3.5 I never had any ARS symptoms and have worked with my doctor to make sure that while taking meds I still have the same standard of life that I had prior. I won't accept anything less.

Let me know if that answers what you were looking for.

Gregg

T.i.a.d

unsure
Unregistered

#33003 - 04/25/02 09:00 PM

Is there any tables showing the percentages of the symptoms. I'm sure i read one somewhere before but am now unable to find it. Is fever the most common symptom and i heard it was really bad, not slight but bad. I've also been told that symptoms are acute, meaning they come all at once, not one here and another follows a few days later, is this true? Thanks for your answers!

gregg629
Guardian

#33028 - 04/26/02 09:40 AM

I don't put any faith in percentages, however here is a table that shows what you are looking for.

http://www.iapac.org/guidelines/guidelinestable19.html

Fever (96%)
Lymphadenopathy (74%)
Pharyngitis (70%)
Rash (70%)
Erythematous maculopapular with lesions on face and trunk and sometimes extremities including palms and soles.
Mucocutaneous ulceration involving mouth, esophagus or genitals.

Myalgia or arthralgia (54%)
Diarrhea (32%)
Headache (32%)
Nausea and vomiting (27%)
Hepatosplenomegaly (14%)
Weight Loss (13%)
Thrush (12%)
Neurologic symptoms (12%)
Meningoencephalitis or aseptic meningitis
Peripheral neuropathy or radiculopathy
Facial palsy
Guillain-Barre syndrome
Brachial neuritis
Cognitive impairment or psychosis

Gregg

unsure
Unregistered

Re: symptoms for you?...thanks greg new
      #33092 - 04/26/02 07:04 PM

Thanks greg,
I know i can't rely on those tables, i've heard so mnay different things about HIV symptoms, i never know what to believe, it's almost as if people are trying to guess these things and aren't sure of the answers. It's all very confusing. I just wish the symptoms were more cleary spoken of! Cause i'm worried!

Dhammapada
Unregistered

Re: symptoms for you? - worry never ends new
      #33103 - 04/26/02 10:20 PM

Hey unsure,
The fact that you said you are worried makes it all the more obvious that you must get yourself tested. I spent literally YEARS wondering about all the "possible" symptoms, playing out every "what if" scenario, etc. The fact that there is such a long list of items is not because researchers or physicians who track these things are guessing -- it's just because, as Greg said, there are thousands of things that can cause similar symptoms. Also, the difficulty of having one's hiv-positive status diagnosed and then trying to trace back a relation to "that cough last year" or "that fever 3 months ago" is nearly impossible to do. Think of all the minor symptoms everyone in the world comes down with on a yearly basis and you see how hard it is to try to second guess after the fact.
I'm not sure if this will help you or not: After my YEARS of worrying and trying to self-diagnose and guess "am I or am I not", I finally found out this week that I am positive... and yes, life goes on and I have a lot of work and homework to do on the topic. However, whatever happens from here on out it doesn't really matter whether I got infected 6 months ago or 3 years ago -- this truth is, I'm positive now. Same goes for you or anyone else: either you are or you aren't, and there's really only ONE way to find out for sure, and it is to your benefit if you are ready for that knowledge... but I know it's hard and my vibes are with you.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#33137 - 04/27/02 01:16 PM

Why do these negative people selfishly come here, panic stricken that they are positive. Unable to read the massive amount of information on this site, needing to bother positive people with their fear that they are positive! There is a place for them in this BBS but they still overtake every board with their fears. Go AWAY!

gregg629
Guardian

What would you like to discuss new
      #33172 - 04/27/02 10:56 PM

I can relate to what you are saying. There are times where I just won't go near the "Am I positive" board because I just don't have what it takes to deal with the posts.

This board however is pretty dead most of the time, unless one of the worry wells comes in here and askes a question.

May I ask what if anything you would rather be talking about in here? I'm more then up to trying to get a good discussion thread going in here.

Gregg

Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
      #33173 - 04/27/02 11:09 PM

I agree. There are several positive people that answer posts on the 'Am I Infected' board. Most of this web site is set up to help people deal with the aspects of being HIV positive.

I don't understand why people with concerns of being HIV positive feel the need to post on the boards that are set up of HIV people or ask questions of the Q&A that are set up for questions about dealing with this disease.

Perhaps you, the original poster could answer why people do this. I myself have often wondered about this.

I'm sure people don't think that their personal concerns are so important that they do not have to follow any kind of etiquette. Maybe it would give us all a better understanding of what drives people to post inappropriately.

I do agree with Gregg that this board is not very active, but still I do think it needs to be reserved for what it was set up for.

For a topic to start things up. How about, for people with children, how do you handle the things kids hear and then say and how it affects your kids?

What I mean is....I live in a small town. Rumors exists. Some based on facts. Lately, my daughter in high school has had to put up with people saying she has AIDS. That I have AIDS, and she got it when she was born. She doesn't have AIDS, not even HIV. I wasn't even HIV when my kids were born. She seems to deal with it pretty well, but how you help your child through this?

T.i.a.d.

TerryD
Unregistered

Re: symptoms for you? - testing increases worry!! new
      #33287 - 04/29/02 12:10 PM

Do not get tested if you are worried. Worry is intense fear and getting tested is not addressing that fear it is giving into it and giving your power awa to it.. Do you really think that becoming hiv/neg positive will eliminate your worry? In fact it will increase it and you will have many more things to "worry" about. As you may of witnessed on this board many who get a negative result are not satisfied with it. They keepn instisting they are positive. Whats that all about????

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: What would you like to discuss new
      #35279 - 06/05/02 03:18 PM

i WOULD JUST LIKE TO KNOW HOW PEOPLE DEAL WITH LIFE AFTER FINDING OUT? i JUST MET A GUY WHO IS HIV POSITIVE AND WE ARE DATING AND IT IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE FELT NORMAL SINCE I FOUND OUT. I WOULD LIKE TO FEEL NORMAL ALL THE TIME. IGUESS I AM WHAT THEY CALL I NEWBIE. I AM NOT A "WORRY WART" BUT SOMETIMES I FEEL REALLY LOST. SEX IS A BIG QUESTION WITH ME DO I EVER WANT TO HAVE IT AGAIN. MY NEW FRIEND SAYS WE ARE BOTH POSITIVE AND HE IS UNDETECTABLE. HE HAS HAD IT FOR 22 YEARS. AND HE LOOKS GREAT AND WELL I BETTER STOP BEFORE I GET INTO THAT "TMI" ZONE. MAYBE THIS IS NOT WHAT YOU WHERE LOOKING FOR BUT I NEEDED TO BLOW OFF SOME STEAM AND YOU OPENED IT UP FOR ME. HOPOE TO CHAT SOON.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4128

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3