Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

Drug Holiday
      #31360 - 04/06/02 11:46 AM

Drug holiday,
Two years ago, I was dignosed with HIV, my cd4 was about 350 and V/L 9000, and my docters adivised me to
start taking medcations rightaway. I did. In one month time my V/L became <50. I was amazed with the result. Since then I comited my self taking my med. When I told my docter that I had experianced side-efect, he adviced me it will go away in time. In the past six months the side efect from the med started to afact my daily life. I do not enjoy eatting meal, extrimly fetige, nausia, (some times) my heart with abnormal beating, and more... Few weeks ago, I asked my docter what he thought about DRUG HOLIDAY, he told me it is a life and death stuation. So my qastions to you are "Are you or anyone you know on a drug holiday? If you are, what is your experiance? Anyway What do yo think about drug holidy?
I thank you very much for your reply. I also have great respect for all the people living with Hiv/Aids because since two years I am going thruogh a tough time.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie_Blue
Legend

Reged: 10/26/00
Re: Drug Holiday new
      #31414 - 04/06/02 11:30 PM

I took a drug holiday for a year and a half. I stopped taking my medication without my doctor knowing. When my blood work came in my VL was about 2500 and my cd4's were around 450. Better than the previous test 3 months before. I told him I had stopped. He said we could keep an eye on my blood work and see how it went. The guidelines had changed anyway. I went back on meds when my viral load hit 30,000 and my CD4 was about 390. I don't know if it was because my set point was pretty low or because I originally had started taking meds when they were practicing hit hard hit early. Your CD4 was in a range where you should have started meds, but your viral load was pretty good. See if he would be willing to let you stop for a while and keep an eye on your blood work. If your numbers go south then go back on.

Terry D
Unregistered

Re: Viral Load of Crap new
      #31426 - 04/07/02 12:30 AM

Stop relying on "your doctor" he/she is not your friend/lover he/she is in or the money and these test are useless in determing anyones wellness. Boy oh boy talk about being a helpless victim. There are some of us that don't rely on the medical system to tell us how we are doing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#31437 - 04/07/02 04:11 AM

Well excuse me!!!! What do you rely on for a regular medical variation of virus in your body?

gregg629
Guardian

Reged: 04/16/01
Loc: Boston
Re: Viral Load of Crap (Terry) new
      #31444 - 04/07/02 11:12 AM

Hey Bud. Please don't start this crap again.

You are more then welcome to your opinions, but don't attack those of us who have different opinions then yours. I don't think anyone here is putting blind faith in their doctor or the medical system. A questions was asked because the person wants to be more informed. You could have very easily just given your opinion and given them something to think about, however like usual you spout your crap with attitude and all and make yourself look like an ass.

I would have hoped that with all your dealings with me you would have realized that you get more bee's with honey then you do with vinagar, but I guess some people just don't learn.

Gregg

gregg629
Guardian

Reged: 04/16/01
Loc: Boston
Re: Drug Holiday new
      #31445 - 04/07/02 11:17 AM

I too have thought about Drug Holidays and they have been doing lots of research with them in Boston. However after looking at the results of the tests they have done I decided not to try it. I currently have no side effects and have been very stable for just over 3 years. I noticed that in about 40% of the cases here there was a viral load increase that was not able to be taken back down when meds started again.

I don't recommend either way for you, it's a personal choice and something that you would be in control of. However as for the side effects you are experienceing. I would push your doctor to help you find ways to raise the qualify of life. No one with HIV should have to go through any side effects. It might be caused by the dose you are taking, or the times you are taking your meds. There might also be supliments that you can take that would make things easier on you.

I wish you the best and whatever you chose to do please let us know.

gregg

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Viral Load of Crap (Terry) new
      #31460 - 04/07/02 02:46 PM

So much for your "freindly" attitude Gregg. Your such a hypocrite and fake.

Terry D
Unregistered

Re: Viral Load of Crap (Gregg) new
      #31461 - 04/07/02 02:49 PM

I will say what i want to say I don't need self-appointed censorship and do-gooders like you telling me what to post. I don't agree with anything you post and don't care for your support or commnets. We don't aggree so lets end it at that. You see life through a very narrow scope.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#31483 - 04/07/02 10:07 PM

medical variation of virus in your body is a load of crap that is not based on good science. The man who invented the PCR test (Mulis) has come forward and said that the PCR test cannot be used for what it is being used for. What more of a testimony do you need? The theory of mutation is just a convient way for them to get around the weak theory that hiv kills tcells.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

#31495 - 04/08/02 08:00 AM

What's so hard to believe about mutation. It's not some mystical thing. It's at the very basis of life. Darwin's theroy of evolution. Survial of the fittest. Even humans, (unless you buy into the biblical version) have mutated over time. Virus' have long been known to mutate. Look at the flu virus. Why do you think they have to figure out what strain looks like it will be the predominate one each year. When you get down to it. The HIV virus is life. It mutates to survive it's environment. Just like any other life form.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Viral Load of Crap (Gregg) new
      #31500 - 04/08/02 10:00 AM

Terry,
You poor soul. You are not only ridiculously stupid, you are rude and badly raised. Why not go to some other site to waste your time. Clearly you have a lot of time on your hands. Daddy leave you too much money? Or have you just never been employed? We don't want you on this board, please leave. You are boring and repetitive.
Learn something new for god's sake! You always say the same thing, like a broken record and you have no ability to LISTEN. So go away. You are not wanted here. You are offending people who really have to seriously deal with HIV.
It is you who is full of crap, not the viral load test.
Sam

John Cristanis
Unregistered

#31528 - 04/08/02 06:38 PM

So why is all aids money going towards a vaccine for a virus that mutates when its wants as oten as it likes. There will never be a vaccine that will work for a virus that is so smart like hiv. Hiv is the only virus in the world that behaves with such intelligence that it fools people like you. LOL ( besides its easier to blame bugs that look at what your doing to yourself in life)

Jackie_Blue
Legend

#31543 - 04/08/02 08:46 PM

If you want to die early from your theory of a non-existent virus that's your choice. I'll think about you when I'm old and gray and taking my meds while your cold and dead. Now that will be something to laugh about.

John Cristanis
Unregistered

#31564 - 04/09/02 02:10 AM

Actually Jackie I have been hiv anti-body + for 15 years now and Have never taken the drugs and never will. I have watched friends take them and feel "better' at fisrt then get sicker and more unhealthy and die horrible deaths. If you choose to go on the drugs (cocktial) you are asking for trouble any short term benifits are mostley phychological in nature and soon the toxins wear your body down. Just look at Larry Krammer (mr get the drugs approoved) he is dying of liver failure. He is just one of many who have died from these drugs although you may believe it was hiv. Oh well not everyone is as well informed as I. Good Luck to you, you may need it I'm afraid.

Jackie_Blue
Legend

#31570 - 04/09/02 07:50 AM

Glad you are doing well off drugs. The truth is if I could keep my numbers under control without them I wouldn't take them. But when I go off my numbers go south. I won't dispute there are side effects and problems with them, but the alternative is not what I want.

The truth is neither one of us will ever change the other's mind. You because you are doing well without meds. Me, because I have seen first hand how they can save a life.

All I can say is if it hadn't been for the T-20 study I would be a widow. It took my husband- postive 14 years now from cd of 7 and over 750,000 to cd of 280 and undec. From doctors telling me he wouldn't make it through the day to someone that can build a retaining wall of railroad ties by himself.

More importantly it convinced him too. He didn't take the meds for years before ending up in the hospital. Not because of some political statement, but because he's stubborn. He didn't want to deal with any side effects, the schedule, and he was sure he could control the virus himself. He's a changed man. Nowadays he's absolutely anal about getting his meds in him. He's told me he's been as close to death as he ever wants to get for a long, long time.

I hope you have continued success off the meds. Most of us don't.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6241

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3