Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Fuentes
Unregistered

detecting swollen lymph nodes
      #2917 - 04/05/00 03:46 PM

How does it feel to have swollen lymph nodes? Are your lymph nodes always enlarged? Are they always tender to palpation? Do they change throughout the course of your infection? (i.e. initial infection, with changes in viral load/CD4 count, etc.)

This may be a really general question, but I'm interested in HIV+ people's insight on this matter. I'm interested in this because I have frequently seen lymphadenopathy listed among the symptoms of HIV (among a great many other diseases) but I'm confused about how to actually detect the presence of swollen lymph nodes as opposed to having normal nodes. No, I'm not a doctor, just curious. :-)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jerry
Unregistered

Re: detecting swollen lymph nodes new
      #2920 - 04/05/00 03:46 PM

In my case, I noticed my lymph nodes were "enlarged" about 10 years ago. At that time, they just felt enlarged;(at that time I also new that I was HIV pos) about 4 to 6 times larger than normal. No my lymph nodes were not painful on the average. But they did seem to get episodes of twinges when one in my groin area would give a dull ache occaisionally.

Now that I have been on HAART for the past year the size of my lymph nodes have gone down signifigantly. For example the ones on my neck have completely gone back to normal and the in the groin area are decreased in size by 1/2 to 2/3.

I am curious as to why you are only concerned with the swelling of lymph nodes? If you suspect that you are HIV pos; swollen lymph nodes are not a deciding symptom. If you suspect that you are HIV pos and are using enlarged/swollen lymphnodes as an indicator of or a confirmation of HIV pos then you need to have the blood test to confirm your HIV status; not merely lymph glands . . .otherwise; you are just beating around the bush. . .

Good Luck

Fuentes
Unregistered

Re: detecting swollen lymph nodes new
      #2922 - 04/05/00 03:47 PM

First, thanks for answering. I had a possible exposure a couple of months ago. I was tested about three weeks later, but came up negative. So I've been laying low, waiting to retest after 90 days. In the mean time, I have been researching as much as I can, trying to learn about different therapies and life in general with HIV.

I haven't noticed any symptoms other than occasional swelling in the right submandibular lymphnode. It starts out unnoticeable in the morning then gets larger as the day goes on, I think. It's not painful though. The worrisome part is that it has been there since about two weeks after my exposure.

I'm well aware that swollen lymph nodes can indicate many different diseases and I will be getting checked out no matter what. I'm just really curious how you gauge size of lymph nodes, i.e. 2-3x larger, etc. It's just guestimation, right?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4394

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3