Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Meds, now what...
      #28601 - 02/21/02 02:19 PM

I just started meds, Triziver and Viread, and frankly I've never felt worse... I know it takes a few weeks for my system to catch up but does anyone out there have some advice? I'm usually a very upbeat person, now all I want to do is sleep. My job is low-stress, but it's starting to interfer with work and I've been missing a lot. Docs don't think it's a bad reaction to the meds, just my system getting used to it. When I started my viral load was half a million T-cell count was below 200.
What can I take to help boost my moral? I know I will get better, but right now I just want to cry...
:o) Thanks!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Brian Carter
Unregistered

Re: Meds, now what... new
      #28603 - 02/21/02 02:44 PM

Hang in there! I tested positive last year and trust me it takes time to get used to the meds, if you ever do, and sometimes even longer to deal just with the fact of being positive. I decided that my numbers were good enough right now to not take the meds but I know I will have to eventually. Just remember your not alone! Good Luck
Brian Carter
brian.carter@carrier.utc.com

Anonymous
Unregistered

#28634 - 02/22/02 09:21 AM

Say alot of prayers and I will pray for you also.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#28722 - 02/24/02 01:53 PM

I started Trizivir in December and it took about 5 weeks for my body to adjust to it...I just felt bad....stayed in bed a lot..had a dull headache and lost my sense of taste and got an over active sense of smell. The good news was that after 4 weeks on the medicine, I had an undectable viral load and my T-cells went from 215 to 290.

I can still tell that I have a foreign chemical in my body but it doesn't interfere with my daily living as much....my senses of smell and taste are still off but that is a reasonable price to pay for living. Just hang in there.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#28763 - 02/25/02 12:20 AM

There are many natural ways to relieve fatigue and depression. For fighting fatigue herbs can be helpful, try Siberian Ginseng (Euleuthro), American Ginseng, Astragulas, (Huang Qi), Hawthorne Berries, also milk thistle can help your liver with the side effects of the meds. If herbs aren't your thing there are Western meds you can take for fatigue and depression. It usually takes the body some time to adjust to taking the meds.
Good luck,
Eric

fdjk3

Reged: 11/06/01
      #28764 - 02/25/02 12:37 AM

My first question is why are you on 4 meds: AZT, 3TC, Ziagen, and Viread? Perhaps with your high VL and low CD4 your doctors think this is necessary. But every additional drug reduces tolerability. If things don't improve ask about switching drugs one at a time and maybe you can nail the culprit that is makeing you feel bad. I took AZT, 3TC, and Viracept and then Sustiva. I tolerated them all very well, but everyone is different. Psychology also plays a big factor, if you think the meds are going to make you sick, the meds will make you sick. Just having HIV can make you depressed too. I'm not on meds now, but I still get depressed from time to time and all I want to do is sleep. Watching your VL go down and your CD4s rise will boost your moral. Good luck...

Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks! new
      #28783 - 02/25/02 11:10 AM

Yes, my counts were low, not dangerously low, but my doctor is so caring he wants to hit hard and fast at first and then taper off as the numbers get better. My T-cell count was less than 200 and viral load half a million. I go back on Wednesday for a check up. I'm doing better today, I also had a nasty case of the flu last week and that didn't help things either... My fiance is on Triziver too and he did really well with it. His viral load took a cliff dive and now he's undetectible. And mind over matter has a lot to do with it. I've had to tell someone else here at work cause all the time off was starting to raise some eyebrows. Now I'm getting on FMLA so that the sick time won't count against me when I take it... hopefully within a month I will be back up to speed. I'm ready to start working out again and stuff...
:o)

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Meds, now what... UPDATE!!! new
      #29050 - 02/28/02 05:00 PM

Just wanted to check in and share my good news with you guys...
Latest check up at the doctor showed that in three weeks time, my Viral load has gone from half a million to 2, 053!!
My T-Cell count has doubled...

I guess all that crappy feeling was worth it...

YEAH!!!

fpd
Unregistered

#30997 - 03/31/02 10:28 PM

i just started medication myself, was expecting the worse...so far ...not too bad ...my count was 378 at testing .... maybe ur medication is stronger than mine!!!'
i take viramune 200mm for 2 weeks, then increase to 400mm and combivir tablets ... so far so good .....stay in touch so ... we maybe able to help each other!
Dont despair...its pro. just a temporary side effect, i was told it takes a m onth or so to get away f side effects.
Wish you well fpd :)

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2464

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3