The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Hiv, Meds and Brain , what does it equal ?
      #275678 - 03/14/14 05:08 PM

Some may recall my posting in the HIV and Getting Older some time ago .Go read it if you haven't . We'll I'm going into the next phase of tests to see what 20 years of meds is possibly doing to the brain . I got another deeper in depth MRI schedules, some 3 hour congnative testing, and the most interesting, having electrodes on my head for 3 days. Gonna be a walking Martian. "Take me to your leader !" lol And to think this all started because of some memory issues. Now , for me, it's more about seeing what these meds and having toxo in the past, could be doing to us. After all we are the first generation of patients that have been on these toxic meds for a long time. It may be interesting ....or it may not.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re: Hiv, Meds and Brain , what does it equal ? new
      #275698 - 03/16/14 12:56 PM

You know river that would be a very interesting study, the length of time on meds and what effects they have on the body. What would be the frame of reference though? I know for some on this forum who just started meds recently, myself included, I too have memory issues, fatigue, aches and pains ... but now could that be just my old age catching up or the effects of the meds working on a more "mature" body in a short period of time!

I "self-medicated" with alcohol for years, that is noted to have serious memory and mental effects in itself, not to mention anyone on a serious illegal drug habit. Now I have been sober for a year, could all these aches and pains have been there but my .05 - .10 or better blood/alcohol level I maintained over the years have masked that?

It will be an interesting study for sure, keep us posted. I want to see because if the meds over 20 years deteriorate the body, and my body is feeling this way after just one year, YIKES!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

heart

Reged: 09/01/12
Loc: united states
      #275701 - 03/16/14 02:30 PM

Good Poing Anotherday, You may just be feeling the aches and pains. However, no matter what the causes are we just need to keep finding ways to make our lives healthier and fulfilling. I was thinking the otherday; that maybe a massage should be fit into my schedule of events for the week. I can tell a big difference being 52yr. old..than when I was 42yr.
Praise to you River! It's awesome that you have proven to others, that you can live a very positive poz life for so long! A true witness to those that may fear the worse when being first diagnosed. Let us know how your test turn out!

crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
      #275736 - 03/18/14 08:42 PM

Yes. I have noticed many of my acquaintances with long term HIV and long term HIV medications have issues. Not really a surprise considering the studies that are now coming out. Long term survivors are facing major health issues.

lilfshrmn

Reged: 03/07/13
Loc: SE US
      #275737 - 03/18/14 09:26 PM

I cant help but wonder if underlying infection is mostly responsible for cognitive impairment I am experiencing. As suggested, I keep track of health, symptoms, effects. Memory issues, loss of concentration, occasional lapses of speech, etc., began before I started meds, which I've only been on for 18 months. I was a heavy drinker so that's likely part of the reason. One thing for certain, the sicker I got the more cognitive impairment I experienced. The drugs are restoring my immune system and keeping infections at bey but cognitive impairment doesn't seem to improve. I see the witch doctor for six month check in two weeks. I'll be going over all this with him. It is comforting to know that I am not alone.

riverprincessModerator

#275768 - 03/21/14 11:57 AM

So far Mri w/contrast really doesn't say much . Nex is 3 days of electrodes and I'm wondering why I should even bother. I mean , like, after all is said and done with these tests, what is anything will I do with it? I won't take any more meds. I lean toward just trusting God with my whole being. I at first thought to do these tests just to see what could be from Hiv. But in the long run , does it really matter? I'm gonna talk to my ID doc and see what he thinks. Are these tests just so that the system is milked more? SIGH........just not sure anymore.

--------------------

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #275781 - 03/23/14 12:16 PM

I believe it is important for your own peace of mind and in helping others along this journey to share information. You yourself have said it's important for those "in the beginning" of discovering HIV, that contracted and lived through the many tests and drug evaluations to keep the flame burning.

In those early days if everyone just thought it was "milking the system" would we be as far as we are today in research and treatment. One tiny step for man one giant leap for mankind!

Many of us here who know you river, find what you say important, your journey is important ... where you have come from to where you are now, amazing! If you felt at one time this was going to help, then it still will help. Don't doubt it!

If at the end of our journeys here on earth we have helped only one person, it is then that we know we have fulfilled our purpose!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

riverprincessModerator

#275788 - 03/23/14 04:36 PM

Thank you for your encouraging words my friend . I look around where I live, an adult community ( i'm an offocial adult lol0 and am aware of how some folks lives are full of doctors appt's for this that and whatever else. That becomes thier whole life of activity. And then there is me. I'm not one that likes a gazillion tests.Never had them growing up and only did my Hiv stuff. So on one hand I fight it and on the other hand I do see the whys. But I still don't lik it.So I may kick and stomp my feet some but I know it's all good .I appreciate all you say anotherday . (Big hug to you)

--------------------

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #275793 - 03/24/14 05:52 PM

I agree with what anotherday had to say. One thing I try to stress to my clients is that we DON'T know all the answers. I encourage everyone to ask. But, i also tell them that they shouldn't be discouraged just because there isn't an answer. Or, if the answer is one they don't like.

Despite our being over 30 years into the disease study and treatment scientists continue to learn every day. HIV is complicated. I imagine it will still be a major study issue 100 years from now. I'd like to think we as humans will have discovered a cure for everything by then, but I'm also realisitc.

Anything they do learn from the tests they're performing on you now probably won't be obvious in the near term. BUT, they have to have a base line on which to build. When people go in for their blood work i tell them there are averages for the human body, but each person is different. That's why they have averages. You're one of many having these tests done. They're going to look at the results as a whole and compare them to other tests done on people who haven't been infected. And, to people who have been infected for differing periods of time. Each test is a piece to the mighty puzzle they are trying to figure out. Both to the care and treatment of people with HIV and to the care and treatment of people in general.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1155

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3