Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
crabmanModerator

Reged: 03/10/11
HIV in Older Adults
      #274882 - 01/21/14 01:27 PM

I know that many of us are now 'older'. This was an attachment in one of my emails today. It covers some of the additional things that those of us that are older with HIV need to keep in mind concerning our health. While this is geared toward physicians, I've always felt that it's important to be our own best advocate and the best way to do that is to keep informed.

http://www.hivguidelines.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/hiv-in-older-adults.pdf

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: HIV in Older Adults new
      #274899 - 01/21/14 06:57 PM

Very interesting Crabman. I would like to hear from other older adults that have been on tx for 10 years or more.

I personally have seem some changes with my health physically. Mostly in my joints and lately with circulation.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

crabmanModerator

#274919 - 01/22/14 11:47 AM

You may find this of interest Riverprincess.

http://www.thebody.com/content/73213/growing-older-with-hiv-what-concerns-you-most.html?ic=7001

While I haven't been on treatment for the last few years I was put on immediately back in 1996 and was on for over a decade. I don't personally notice anything other than just a slight slowing down from getting older. I still get out and exercise, enjoy the boat and the beach. Grandkids wear me out, but that doesn't surprise me. My husband on the other hand is showing decline. He's been on medication since it first came out....monotherapy with AZT. He was dx in 1989. We can't keep weight on him and he shows cognitive decline. He has more than his share of health issues at this point and when he gets sick it can take a month before he gets his energy levels back up. Much of this seems to have been within the last few years. I don't know how much of it is due to long term therapy and how much is from the fact you can slow down the progression of the disease but you can't stop it.

riverprincessModerator

#274920 - 01/22/14 12:25 PM

Yeah it's not easy decifering which aches are from the meds or from just getting older. But when you start to talk with others it tends to show some light on different aspects. I am in the process of having some neurology tests being done. Not just due to hiv but also due to the fact that Alzheimes runs in family. My bone density is fine though I do get aches in joints and feel muscle fatigue . But all in all I don't focus , or " claim " the negative aspects. I know they're there but I'd rather focus on the positive aspects of my life. ( pun not intended lol ) I see the many blessings that surround me and do my best to outreach and encourage others. It's a circle of preference I choose for my life. And I will shun away from those that are determined to stay in chaos and gloom. Some folks just find it's easier to live in the madness of thinking , And when I see thats where they are determined to stay , thats when I wish them the best and move along. I pray someday they may see the light.

--------------------

dolly2012

Reged: 01/08/14
      #274921 - 01/22/14 01:14 PM

You two are both wonderful people. We all come on here stressing you both out with our problems and worries and yet you both have all your own problems and worries.

You both dont get praised enough for you patiance and kindness.

Xx

riverprincessModerator

#274925 - 01/22/14 02:58 PM

Thank you very much Dolly but believe me we , well I should only speak for myself, I ,have many moments when patience is a foreign word to me. Just ask my hubby. lol As for problems , they come , I may let them hang out for awhile , but then I toss them out for taking up valuable space. lol

--------------------

justmentx

Reged: 01/23/14
      #274970 - 01/23/14 04:49 PM

I'm going on 27 yrs w/ HIV/Aids. How is it I'm still alive. Are there others out there as long or longer than myself, that are still alive?

riverprincessModerator

#274998 - 01/24/14 04:45 PM

I figure I was pos for a few years before being offocially diagnosed 23 years ago.

--------------------

lilfshrmn

Reged: 03/07/13
Loc: SE US
      #275078 - 01/27/14 09:23 PM

I haven't been on treatment that long, but I am older with HIV. Aches and pains of getting older noticed before I became symptomatic (complete immune system collapse). Sides from meds and infection make It harder to discern whether physical and mental limitation are from illness or age. It doesn't really matter. I keep track so when I see my docs they know what's going on. I stay compliant and get whatever tests or procedures are medically necessary. The bottom line is I have lost significant functional capacity. I'm not incapacitated, but I do have to rest, eat, rest some more, eat again...rest... No surge capacity and wind easily. While I'm only in my late 50s I feel much older physically and cognitively. Getting old hurts with or without HIV.

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #275083 - 01/28/14 01:38 AM

This is a topic that more and more of us are going to be facing sooner than we want to think.

I've been on meds for nearly 15 years. Only changed once, because my doctor saw that Atripla was about to be released and wanted to make my pill burden less. (Had been on Crixivan. An oldie but a goodie! Now days people haven't even heard of it.)

I'm slowly coming to terms with the fact that my body is aging. NOT gracefully! I'll be 50 this year. I've lived more than half my life with HIV. I had one hip replaced 4 1/2 years ago. The other needs to be done but I'm having the problem of venous stasis wounds caused by my varicose veins. And, on my last doctor visit I had a complete physical. We've discovered the onset of arthritis. Not nearly a problem. Just swollen joints from time to time. Most people might not notice but having played the flute nearly all my life I do notice when my fingers don't move so easily.

I've used a cane for nearly 5 years. It's something that's just there to help me walk. I ride the special small bus here on public transit, because they pick me up at my door and drop me off where I want to go.

My mind is as sharper than when I was in high school. Mentally I make jokes about being HIV+. I tell people I forgot something (doesn't happen often), because of AIDS dementia. Then I pretend to have mood swings and get mad when noone pays attention to me. I'm trying to point out to people that just because something happens to one person doesn't mean it's going to happen to them. Many people I know think everybody is the same healthwise. If one person tubs their toe than everybody is at risk for stubbing their toe.

Physically I have some difficulty getting around. But, I still get out and go more than 90% of the people I know.

I hate just sitting home. I may not move as quickly as others, but I do move. Like the commercial about arthritis says - The first step is getting active. For years I've told people the first step towards a healthier life is getting active. You've got to move your body and your mind. Especially when you've been sick. After my hip replacement they had me out of bed the next day. I was walking down the hall and back to PT.

Do I have the stamina I had when I was in my 20's? Only in my dreams. I can accept that I'm growing older and my body isn't going to want to keep going all the time. I find myself sitting down to rest. I appreciate a well cushioned chair. I don't try to do anymore all-nighters. And, I actually make it a point to try to eat a balanced diet with very few fried foods. (Love me some fried chicken!!!) Things everybody should be doing regardless of HIV status. More so for those of us who are HIV+.

Despite obvious problems I still think of myself as lucky. I don't have joint pains. I've never had a serious side effect from any of my meds. Everything that is wrong with me is easily diagnosable and treatable.

When I was young I used to say that I was going to live forever. I see no reason to change that thought now....

riverprincessModerator

#275086 - 01/28/14 08:38 AM

LOVE IT iam1 ! I use to tell folks , when asked my age, that I was 29 4 times then it became 7 times and eventually it would be 15 times, and I'd tell them to figure it out. Well, then one day I actually figured out how many times I really was 29 and I fell off the chair. Now, even though it may take me a moment to figure out how od I really am , I now embrace my age. Hey it's better than the alternative. lol So now I'm actually proud of going on 57 this summer . Hey I live in an adult community so I guess that makes me an offocial adult.lol Hubbyand I started taking ballroom dancing at our club house , and once this winter is over I will be able to go outside ands get some gardening done. I know I should be doing more ,some, exercising now , it would make my body feel better , but I also volunterr in the water at the yamca. So ,all in all ,through the aches and pains, I'm doing ok for someone getting ( cough) older.

--------------------

crabmanModerator

#275091 - 01/28/14 10:03 AM

LOL. I celebrated anniversaries of my 29th birthday for years, until like you, it took to long to do the math :-)

riverprincessModerator

#275186 - 02/01/14 08:21 AM

Yeah there are many of us still around and living life my friend.

--------------------

Bill71

Reged: 01/13/14
Loc: North Carolina
      #275598 - 03/06/14 06:52 AM

I never thought I would make it to my 40s so I never thought about the issues of aging and being positive. I was diagnosed when i was 23, I was still in party mode, but things changed at that point. When I was diagnosed I wasn't expected to make it a year. So as you can imagine I went out and did all the things one would do in such a situation as that. I obviously survived and made it to my 20 year mark. My health issues have been dealing with depression and anxiety. I can't decide what about my body has changed due to age or HIV. I have a nearly non-existent short term memory, my reading skills have declined, my comprehension skills have degraded greatly. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia a few years back. I worry that my memory capacity might be HIV related. I was diagnosed with toxoplasmosis at the very beginning, and even though that's been kept in check, I've never had to have that treated. I wonder if that has anything to do with my brains declining functioning... Some of the things that I think kept me alive was limiting my alcohol intake, quitting smoking, started taking vitamins and eating better. I also have a mother who has prayed for me daily and still does, so maybe that has helped. I don't know if any of you other long timers have experienced survivors syndrome, but i have struggled with that as I have lost friends and wondered simply "why am I special enough to still be here..."

Something I found on HIV and aging which just answered a few of my own questions... - http://std.about.com/od/hivaids/a/Premature-Aging-And-Hiv.htm

--------------------

riverprincessModerator

#275616 - 03/08/14 09:51 AM

May I suggest that you have some tests done with a nuerlogist. I too have beenon meds for 20 years. Have the memory issues such as you and had toxo that actually put me in the hospital. I've recently had a brain scan which shows some white matter but that could be due to aging. Never thought I'd be so thrilled with getting old. lol I spoke with my ID dr and we will be looking into possibly changing meds .Which med are you on? Be careful with the amout of vitimins you are taking . For example , I was taking too much calcium which could also lead to memory issued. I think many of us older hivers wonder what these meds do to us over time. I just remind myself that it could always be worse.

--------------------

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3020

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3