Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
LoveMe

Reged: 09/29/13
Flu Shot
      #274326 - 11/05/13 12:40 PM

Good afternoon POZ..can i get your thoughts on flu shot?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
osomenor

Reged: 12/11/12
Loc: North Carolina, USA
Re: Flu Shot new
      #274329 - 11/05/13 03:55 PM

My doctor has given me mine at my last visit to do labs. Better to be safe than sorry.. the Flu shot caused me no problems and if it can keep me from feeling the full force of the flu and keeps me from being sick and maybe knocking my numbers down, I am all for it. Personal opinions vary yhrough, you need to do what is best for you.

Daddy_Bearby

Reged: 07/29/09
Loc: Alabama
      #274331 - 11/06/13 10:47 AM

I have been getting a flu shot yearly at Walgreens since the county closed the clinic I was getting my hiv/aids care thru and thus far have had no complications nor side effects .
So if it can prevent you from getting or at the least lessen the effects of having the flu I am all for it but it's your call to get one or not .

iam1
Fanatic

Reged: 06/17/09
Loc: Georgia
      #274332 - 11/07/13 01:45 AM

It is strogly recommended that EVERYONE with HIV who has a CD4/T-Cell count above 200 get the flu shot every year. For those with lower CD4 counts it's up to them and their doctor to decide if it's worth it.

Getting the flu shot is NOT a 100% guarantee that you won't get the flu. But, it does greatly reduce the risk of catching the flu each year.

If you get the flu you'll suffer symptoms not dissimilar from the cold. But, with the flu you'll also have a fever. And, the body aches will be more severe. You won't want to move, but you'll be in pain no matter how you sit or lie and won't want to stay in that position, either.

For people with HIV having the flu can be a precursor to having a more serious illness. (Ask someone who has had the flu. They'll probably tell you that it feels as if nothing could be worse.) The flu wears down what little immunity you have and allows other diseases to pop up like pneumonia or breathing issues.

People ask why they have to get a yearly flu shot. Because each year is a different strain of flu. The flu shot is actually a combination of 3 different strains. Scientists sit down early in the year and go over data and decide which strains to inoculate against that year. Almost always they get it right.

The flu season generally runs from October to the Spring of the following year. You can and should get your flu shot as early as possible but can get it anytime it's available.

At most you MAY have a slightly sore spot where the shot is given. You can NOT catch the flu from the shot! I can't stress this strongly enough. The flu that is used to make the shot is dead.

If you have questions sit down and talk with the nice people at your local HIV clinic, health department, or local pharmacy where you can get the shot.

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #274335 - 11/07/13 07:40 PM

A flu shot never hurts whether HIV or not, just that little added boost to stay healthy in the winter. Here in the Great White North they recommend it 100%, of course it still is at the option of the person, but with alot of being indoors and extreme dry cold, it's better to be safe then sick.

Now if only the flu shot would work on the common cold, I have no idea how I got it, but I have cold ... grrrr! So as soon as that breaks, off to the drug store for a flu shot, I like a good cold but only when I can have the free time to enjoy the chicken soup, the bed rest, the buzz of cold meds ... but off to work I go and a cold is no fun. I suspect a flu would be worse!

To each their own, but I recommend a flu shot (as did my HIV med team), it's only another needle!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #274339 - 11/08/13 10:34 AM

Be careful what cold meds you take. Not all mix well with our meds.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #274340 - 11/08/13 10:38 AM

I am one of those that choose not to get the flu shot. I have my reason which I won't say due to the fact that I don't want my decisions to interfer with anyone elses decisions.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

anotherday

Reged: 05/15/13
Loc: Alberta, Canada
      #274347 - 11/09/13 01:40 PM

I found success with the cold meds I buy at Wal Mart, I think it's their own in-house label. Fast and effective and at the peak of the cold I pop a couple of those and symtoms are gone and the cold seems to ease up quite a bit. I also was prepared with my Watkins cough syrup but I didn't have a cough this time. Feeling way better, the common cold is always just a 3 or 4 day event and gone!

Now I can focus on getting a flu shot before the flu gets me!

--------------------
anotherday ... in paradise!
daily ponder ... be the reason someone smiles today!

mark4586lopez

Reged: 08/31/13
      #274351 - 11/10/13 10:00 AM

I had three shots of vaccine for flu or something more to that early months of this year. My doc has been advising me to get a regular shot of flu vaccine for seasonal flu but never get the chance to get one. Never had flu, colds or coughs. I think it's because I've drinking a lot of lemon juice and green tea.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4897

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3