Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Veronicaa

Reged: 06/30/13
Question about ultrasound and blood test
      #272847 - 06/30/13 07:54 PM

I'm infected with Hepatitis B, and I need to have an ultrasound and a blood test.

My question is, can I eat and drink normally before taking the blood test?

As for the ultrasound, I understand that I can't eat and drink but do I need to poop to get rid of the waste before the ultrasound?

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: Question about ultrasound and blood test new
      #272848 - 06/30/13 08:01 PM

Both questions depend on what your dr is looking for. You should ask your dr. If you can't before you go then as far as the blood tests don't eat. Error on the side of caution. As far as the ultra sound. Don't worry about poop. There is no safe way you could get rid of all of it and if it was going to be an issue for the test your dr would've prescribed a liquid med to flush your system commonly used for colonoscopies.

Just let the blood draw person know you are fasting so they can make a note of it on your labs.

Edited by kicker (06/30/13 08:02 PM)

Veronicaa

#272849 - 06/30/13 08:06 PM

Thanks for the information, kicker.

As for the ultrasound, they just want an empty stomach and it doesn't matter if your intestine is full. Is that what you're saying?

kicker

#272851 - 06/30/13 08:38 PM

Yes.

kicker

#272852 - 06/30/13 08:44 PM

My guess is that they are looking for cyst on your liver. Common with any hepatitis. If they find any they may want to do an MRI to see what kind they are. Your liver sits right next to your stomach and some of it sits behind your stomach. If you drink or eat they won't get as clear as a picture as they want or mistake food for a cyst.

I wouldn't worry they like to do that for every hep patient. It tells them the damage so far and catches anything before it gets bad. You should be happy you are being taken care of.

Veronicaa

#272853 - 06/30/13 08:50 PM

Thanks, kicker, you're a great help. I don't mind not eating and drinking, but sometimes you don't feel like going to the toilet. I'm glad that is not a requirement.

I commiserate with those who are living with HIV. Does anyone know if hepatitis is life-threatening? I heard that it can clear naturally from your system so that's good to know.

kicker

#272854 - 06/30/13 08:58 PM

It can for hep b, but it's not always the case. Depends on the person how much damage it has caused already, and if you are a carrier or just infected.

Bottom line is that they may want to give you meds to help treat it or they may just let it run its course and keep a close eye on it and tell you to take vitamins like b6 to help protect your liver. Won't know till they run the tests so don't work yourself up over it. It's treatable and fairly easy to treat. As long as you aren't yellow in color of your skin or eyes you are good. It really sounds like they are treating it well. Most people don't get an ultrasound done because the drs just throw pills at them without checking.

You should be confident that you are getting good care.

Veronicaa

#272855 - 06/30/13 09:17 PM

I haven't been recommended any drugs by the doctor, so I assume my liver is fine.

The upcoming ultrasound and blood test is probably just a routine check, just to be safe than sorry. The positive thing is that Hepatitis B damages just one organ, and that's the liver which can be replaced as a last resort.

kicker

#272856 - 06/30/13 09:34 PM

I don't even think it will go that far. As long as you go for your checkups and take care of yourself you will be fine.

Veronicaa

#272861 - 07/01/13 06:07 AM

Thanks for lifting my spirits.

I don't drink and smoke, and eat quite healthy so hopefully I will be fine. Once I do the tests and get the results, it should give me a more clearer picture with where I'm at.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2464

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3