Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
positive2741

Reged: 08/12/12
Loc: Mississippi
cities with financial and housing assistance for hiv+
      #265456 - 08/12/12 01:34 AM

Me and my bf are both positive and were looking to move to somewhere with better assistance and programs for people with hiv. We currently stay in ms and Memphis,TN area and have had very bad luck over the past 4 years finding and keeping jobs in this area due to the economy and no financial assistance for struggling young hiv+ people. anywhere you know that has good programs that can help with housing and financial for new residence of that city or state would be helpful. I'm really clueless on where to go to find info on this and who to talk to. I'm currently unemployed and need to get out of the mid south or Mississippi, Arkansas, and Tennessee asap. No assistance for the struggling and worse no good paying jobs. Please help someone!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
brooklynbaseball

Reged: 01/28/10
Loc: seattle. wa
Re: cities with financial and housing assistance for hiv+ new
      #265472 - 08/13/12 01:29 PM

http://lifelongaidsalliance.org/services

Seattle is pretty good. I make too much money for most of these I was on the free food program until my hubby got a job. But for over a year we got free food delivered once a week.

positive2741

#265477 - 08/13/12 03:32 PM

Thanks a lot. Seattle is a gud spot didnt think of them and it looks like they have what im looking 4. Thanks again Brooklyn. If anybody else know anything please, pretty please comment. Lol.

MarkS

Reged: 08/14/12
Loc: Sonoma County, CA
      #265498 - 08/14/12 09:51 PM

While I understand why you'd leave Memphis & the south, the primary driver for chosing your new place should not be where you can get support, but rather what area gives you the best chances for happiness, personal support and a job. Check cities/areas where you have friends or supportive relatives who could serve as a resource. What type of weather do you want or want to avoid? What cities are there plenty of job openings in your field(s)? Many cities have good HIV support systems through a combination of not-for-profit groups and local government programs. Even in my area of western Sonoma County CA (rural area) there is an outstanding food bank for HIV+ residents and community-based heath clinics. So first decide what areas you want to consider based on jobs, people you know, weather you'd like, and THEN research the local HIV+ support system AND how stressed they might be. By the way, SF is pretty stressed right now with a 6 month wait for housing (in crack-filled tenderloin SROs), NYC has better finances and broader support programs but the cost of living there is highest in country. We have a HIV+ friend who is moving from SF back to NYC (where we aso recently moved from) because he cannot take living in the SRO hotel with druggies and just released criminals, and the city has just pulled therapist budgets. Good luck.

southsam7

Reged: 05/03/12
      #265501 - 08/14/12 11:20 PM

Birmingham is by far the best city I've lived in for resources for people with HIV. Birmingham AIDS Outreach, the 1917 Clinic at University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) and AID Alabama are all fantastic resources. UAB has the most comprehensive and helpful system I've ever experienced.

Atlanta is ok, but it is extremely difficult to get into a program unless you are very sick or have low CD4 counts.

I recommend Birmingham unconditionally. It's a great city, too!

Sam

JP97210

Reged: 08/15/12
      #265505 - 08/15/12 07:59 AM

Moved to Portland, OR 3 years ago. The city has great HIV services including help with employment and housing at Cascade Aids Project. Access to medical care is excellent and help with meds is based in income up to 300% of poverty level. The city has great public transportation and it's low cost for disabled, no sales tax. Be sure you check out the weather to see if you can handle the climate.

nwkmateo

Reged: 04/10/12
Loc: Bronx, NY
      #265522 - 08/16/12 09:54 AM

Hello!
I am a life long New Yorker and am on public assistance due to my inability to work at the time. While I dont advocate moving for benefits or entitlements I will offer you the following.

You can search Google for NYC HASA (HIV and AIDS Service Administration). The program qualifications are listed on their website. I find their services to be helpful..food stamps, public assistance, rent, etc... If you have specific questions you may private message me.

In terms of medical care you really cant beat the quality of care in NYC compared to most of the country. The options for clinics/doctors are endless. I go to Callen Lorde Health Center in Manhattan and they are excellent medical/mental health providers. You can search the internet for their website as well. NYS Medicaid is also very good, especially for people with HIV.

Besides the public agencies in the city there are so many private non-profit organizations to choose from.

Feel free to hit me up with a private message for any questions you may have.

Good Luck!

positive2741

#265539 - 08/17/12 07:39 AM

Wow! Thank you all for your posts. Very valuable info. Anybody else? Feel free to post. The info is very appreciated!

positive2741

#265923 - 08/27/12 05:03 PM

If anybody else know any more places (ive been researching the ones you all have given me and i appreciate the info) please don't hesitate to post it for me or inbox me. Thanks in advance.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4730

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3