Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
worriedmom61

Reged: 11/06/11
atripla sorage
      #264977 - 07/28/12 12:59 PM

My son is on Atripla living in very hot weather in Miami, and yesterday late afternoon his air conditioner broke,the apartment probably is around 85 or 87 degrees, because outsade is like 92, was trying to call Atripla manufacturer but they are closed,I asked Dr. Young here but don't have and answer yet, will the Atripla have loose its stavility,,why do you guys think, I am allways so worry, plese answer me.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kicker

Reged: 10/25/10
Loc: GA, USA
Re: atripla sorage new
      #264980 - 07/28/12 01:47 PM

As long as the meds are kept in the bottle out of direct sunlight and the apartment doesn't reach over a 100 degrees. The effectiveness of the medication should remain the same. Sustiva (one of the three meds in Atripla) is pretty potent stuff. It actually comes in a kids dose that is effective in adults up to 150 pounds. Atripla uses the adult dose which is more than enough.

The short of it is medications last longer under the right conditions. They give those conditions to ensure that the meds are good for as long as possible. Think of it like food. Can you leave ketsup on the table sure you can, will it last as long as stuff put in the fridge no it won't but it does last a good while. Chances are as long as he is taking it like he is suppose to and keeping it in the bottle out of direct sunlight and heat he will use them before they go bad. So no real worries there. They are suppose to be stored at 78 degrees anyway if I remember right so an extra 6-10 degrees isn't gonna hurt them much.

As far as why you worry so much? Can't help you on that one. I can suggest that if you go into a panic every time there is a sniffle that you may be suffering from a form of PTSD. Contrary to popular belief PTSD can happen to anyone in any situation that is stressful or traumatic. Learning your sons status would count as being stressful and traumatic. You don't need bullets flying at you to have it.

I would suggest talking to a therapist or grief councilor about how you feel and react when you think about your son and his status. They can help you find resources and coping skills to deal with it. Doesn't mean your crazy, just means you need the extra support and guidance. And you can look at it this way, how are you suppose to be supportive if you can't handle things calmly and rationally. Getting into a panic over meds being in a slightly warmer environment isn't exactly thinking calmly and rationally.

worriedmom61

#264982 - 07/28/12 01:59 PM

Thank you so much Kiker for your response,sometime yes I really think I am going crazy, I have the feeling that I am responsible to mantain my son's health,is pretty hard, I am a stage 3 cancer survivor but nothing compare to how i feel some times,thank God is not often just when something gets out of the routine. Thanks again for your answer.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #265001 - 07/28/12 09:58 PM

Moms will always be moms and that is a blessing to your son. Just be sure you take care of yourself. Women tend to neglect their needs for the sake of the family. So you be well too mom.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

worriedmom61

#265036 - 07/29/12 08:03 AM

thanks Riverprincess, I'll try to follow your advise

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #265081 - 07/31/12 08:34 AM

Hey there!

I live in Thailand, and am on the Atripla meds. I take them in a two-pill combination: Stocrin (aka Sustiva) + Truvada (aka Ricovir-EM)
It's the same as the one-pill Atripla combo.

It's quite warm here, usually in the high 80's and 90's F. I asked my doc about the heat issue, and she said that they are manufactured and packaged to preserve their effectiveness even in warm climates. She said NOT to refrigerate them. I keep them in a solid-walled closet, well out of the reach of prying eyes and hands. This is how they are stored at the Red Cross pharmacies here too, for weeks or months until they are dispensed.

The key thing is to keep them in a dry, low light or dark area. Only break the seals on the bottle you are using - they are designed to endure for the 30 or so days that the bottle is open.

I hope this helps! Just remember, these meds are used in very hot and humid environments, and are manufactured to endure those conditions. The important thing is that your son is taking his meds daily and living well. Good luck to you both, and good on you for supporting your son in his treatment regimen!

worriedmom61

#265097 - 07/31/12 09:18 PM

thanks Poz in Thailand for your response,you make me feel more confortable, you know how mothers are,we worry so much.

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #265300 - 08/06/12 09:54 AM

I'm a dad, so I understand completely. Just remember to breathe and to take time to relax and enjoy life as well. ;-)

Cheers!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2927

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3