Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
collegestudent

Reged: 05/07/12
What did you tell yourself to overcome depression?
      #262954 - 05/08/12 10:30 AM

I'm currently a college student and I'm working on a class project which involves gathering anecdotes from HIV/AIDS patients. I'm not HIV positive but I'm going through a depression in the moment and I'm looking for personal stories on how you were able to overcome your depression. What kinds of things did you tell yourself that gave you the energy or will to get back on your feet?

I also encourage you to take a look at my other post titled "Looking for personal stories for HIV class THANKS!" where you can answer some of my other questions concerning experiences with living with HIV/AIDS.

Thank you all for looking at my two posts and, even though this question is a bit more personal for me, my classmates and I will be really grateful for any kind of input!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
alive2
Guardian

Reged: 03/08/07
Re: What did you tell yourself to overcome depression? new
      #262957 - 05/08/12 01:04 PM

you have already done the first step by recognizing it and acknowledging it. same as anyone else once you do these 2 things i feel the best thing after that is to find a responcible person or a doctor and talk through what it is thats at the heart of your depression. of corse some have to take medication to get a handle on things. maybe convince yourself that your important to others and thats what helped me to drag myself up out of the rut i was in. hope that helps you.

collegestudent

Reged: 05/07/12
      #262963 - 05/08/12 03:36 PM

Your comment helped a lot! I will be starting my first psychotherapy sessions next week so hopefully he/she will be able to guide me to the root of my depression like you say. I think keeping in mind the people that you love is also a great incentive that I had not thought before. Finally, I've really tried my best to stay away from medication as much as I could because they tend to ease the pain but not provide an explanation or solution...

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #263163 - 05/22/12 12:30 AM

Hi!

I cope with depression by pulling back and trying to re-establish a realistic perspective about my life. When we are depressed, everything seems SOOOOO BIIIIG; the landscape is completely distorted. So, for me it's very helpful to go out, sit in a coffee shop, and watch other people. Pretty soon, I see that some have it better than me, but many have it much worse, and that's just on the surface! I soon see that I have it pretty good, and then I can start to see the real picture about myself as well. It puts me in a much more realistic and positive frame of mind. Then, when I go home and chant, I can really focus my energy on myself in a constructive way, rather than one that is defensive or negative.

This is just what works for me. I hope it helps!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1060

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3