Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Joint pain
      #260282 - 01/17/12 09:01 AM

Since my bone density came back good then I figure it must be my joints. And as I see ads on tv I'm thinking about what to take for joint pain. I'll be asking my dr and orthopedist but also wanted any juggestions from you guys.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
Re: Joint pain new
      #260284 - 01/17/12 09:10 AM

hey RP, do you smoke? I ask because i met a group of doctors who in the last 5 yrs have found smoke of any kind contains a toxin that has been proven to shrink tendon tissue in humans, over repeated exposure to smoke. the shrinking tissue, bares bone, that is otherwise covered/protected in joints, thus causing joint pain.

also, many of our meds can cause joint pains as well, along with the natural culprit....aging.

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #260302 - 01/17/12 10:27 PM

I have to say, my body feels much better these five weeks since I gave up smoking completely. My doc says that intermittent fatigue and malaise is not uncommon with the ARV. I am now on fish oil, and will see if that helps.

riverprincessModerator

#260337 - 01/18/12 08:20 AM

I do only occasionally. Perhaps three one day then nothing all week. I will never even own a pack. I'll but then give to a friend that does. He shouldn't but since he's a parapalegic and in a nursing home I understand. I know the meds are doing this . I just need to find out what meds I can take that don't interfere. You hear the sides and it's not good. And thanks for the reminder of the age part. I'm thankful that I passed the 50 mark but I don't think I'm old enough to be feeling those kind of achy joints.....yet. lol

riverprincessModerator

#260350 - 01/18/12 05:13 PM

Well was given my shots in my back . Kenalog , which is also used for pain blockage in oral surgery , mixed with marcaine , also used in dental . Like lidocaine but without the epinepherine. Now to see how it goes for the next couple of weeks and whether I need another treatment. Not sure how it's gong to affect my t-cells but I'm not worried about it. When I had cortizone shots in shoulder 2 times it knocked my cells down about 200 but they bounced back. I believe that the constant pain can do more damage to ones body than the cure. I also found that in my back my disc has totaly degenerated and has gone into arthritis. Thats way it wasn't an epidural but called something else , not important. And as for my joints wa told to just take Aleve. So I feel as though I have made progress. What more can I do but full stream ahead with power of suggestion knowing I did what I could.The rest I rest with God.

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260359 - 01/18/12 08:19 PM

I hope you get some relief! Back pain can be such a nightmare.

riverprincessModerator

#260389 - 01/19/12 12:05 PM

My back today is truly feeling soooo much better. But I may still go for the second shot in 2 weeks. And my joints are doing well with the aleve, I just kick myself in the butt for not doing this last year.Well better late than never .

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260461 - 01/22/12 12:18 AM

Maybe this is a dumb question, but have you had a consult with a physical therapist and seen if they have any ideas of stretches and exercises that can be done to improve your comfort? Also, massage can be quite helpful as well as the ultrasound therapy that many of the PT places in the US offer. I'm sorry if you already mentioned this and it slipped my mind. ;-)

riverprincessModerator

#260471 - 01/22/12 09:33 AM

Thanks for the suggestions but I have done physical thery numerous times. I try to do my stretches every morning, The aleve is helping alot. Will be getting back to gym this week as soon as cold is finished, which should be any day now. I just got to re-strengthen my body again .

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260473 - 01/22/12 09:47 AM

Hi!

I just wanted to let you know I found a warning against the use of Aleve with tenofovir (Viread), a component of Truvada and Atripla. It apparently is a bad combo for the kidneys. I don't know what cocktail combo you are on, but I thought I would pass this along.

I found it on the interactions checker on Drugs.com It's ranked as a "major" interaction.

riverprincessModerator

#260475 - 01/22/12 10:52 AM

Thanks for the info. But I don't plan on taking it every day. Besides I found that everything attacks one organ or another. So I take precaution in everything that I take.

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260477 - 01/22/12 10:57 AM

Good plan!
Cheers!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1858

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3