HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Flu Shot or Not
      #260223 - 01/16/12 08:09 AM

Just curious as to how many folks take the flu shot each year
I , personally, decided against it for the past two years. Though I never got the flu from taking it , I figured I'd stop while the odds were in my favor. But I DO take the pnemonia shot and tb test when needed. How about you?

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
Re: Flu Shot or Not new
      #260224 - 01/16/12 08:26 AM

I haven't had a flu shot in 8+ years, and I live in Asia, where everything supposedly comes out of.... I just get busy and forget to get it. By the time I remember, the season is usually over.

The second-to-last flu shot I had, probably in 2002, I did get sick for a few days with malaise and a slight fever. Not fun, but not a big deal either. I'm not really sure what my thoughts are on it now. My CD4's have been high, so I'm not especially worried, but for someone who is low to mid-range, I would think it's a good idea. Has anyone spoken to their HIV doc about it recently?

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #260264 - 01/16/12 10:10 PM

riverprincessModerator

#260279 - 01/17/12 08:01 AM

Remember , was it last year or the year before ( time eludes me ) that they came out with the swine flu. I thought to myself , you must be crazy. The regular flu stuff is always being recalled, you think I'm gonna mess around with some swine flu crap . I'd probably wake up with a pug nose and curly tail. Hey no offence to those with pug noses . lol

--------------------

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #260283 - 01/17/12 09:04 AM

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260299 - 01/17/12 10:12 PM

I have lived through both the poultry flu AND swine flu, here in Asia, with no shots. A boy in the village near mine did die of swine flu even though he had been given the flu shot earlier. I really don't know what to think about it.

I vaccinated my children when they were babies and believe in that, but the flu shots don't seem as sure. Maybe it's just a gut feeling....

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260300 - 01/17/12 10:22 PM

I agree - the whole H1N1 thing was very dodgy....

riverprincessModerator

#260349 - 01/18/12 05:01 PM

It just seems like new " illnesses" come ever 2 years. And the pharmacutials are so quick to jump on the money bandwagon. I'm not even sure anymore if they even mean well for the people , but they brainwash the health industry into promoting it . Did you know that the more that companies promote the more kicback they get. When I went to Clinton Prison for women , every female was told that they had a yeast infectin during their intake exams. Each was given a cream medication , And there was always a turn over of women to keep the population at about 950. Thats ALOT of kick back ! So who can one trust? I just love my DR cause he can't stand the beaucrats and insurance people that try to regulate what his patients need.

--------------------

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260358 - 01/18/12 08:16 PM

It is awful when politics and greed are involved in anything, especially medicine....

riverprincessModerator

#260391 - 01/19/12 01:31 PM

That's why I'm not sure what the pharmacutical companies are going to do about when a cure comes for aids. Will the cost be sooo expensive that onlt those with insurance will get it? , will they just keep it a secret to milk the cow more. I know I sound sooo sceptical. There was this book title " Virus Hunters. And it tells how the different pharmacutical companies actually have their own researchers to FIND new viruses so that they can be the first to patent " the cure" . There is big money to be made in illnesses. Look at allll the research done for cancer . And the telethons for MS. It's about the money, not the cure. The death of people is just part of the cost quota. Sad, so sad.

--------------------

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

#260460 - 01/22/12 12:13 AM

It really is a double-edged sword. If they do not hunt out and seek undiscovered or unexplored viruses and research them, then there are no weapons to fight back when there is an outbreak, let alone any information to even try to rapidly begin developing medicines and vaccines. The main reason they "hunt" them out is so that they can understand them and hopefully have vaccines and remedies available if/when they do rear their ugly heads. However, that can then be used for less than benevolent purposes through patent hording and monopolies driven by greed and politics.

I think it gets back to the point that it is not even so much that these viruses are the ultimate enemy, especially since we are now entering the era where we can technologically deal with things on the molecular and genetic levels, which is where the real mechanisms of disease actually are. The ultimate enemy is the negative aspect of humanity and that greed and politics do play a major part of who is helped and who is not. I think this means that the public must become more diligent in acting as overseers of governments and corporations by being informed and keeping the pressure on them to be more honest and inclusive. We are seeing a lot of these positive signs now with examples like the SOPA and PIPPA issues, and how the populous flexed its muscles and put pressure on the large corporations and politicians that were spear-heading it. As a result it looks like it will die.

Let's hope this overflows into the medical aspects of technology as well and that people use the internet and their collective strength to make sure that everyone has access to health and medical care and medications and that it is no longer another class-defining aspect of our civilization.

riverprincessModerator

#260468 - 01/22/12 09:14 AM

Extremely well said !

--------------------

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2594

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3