Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
admiralaew

Reged: 08/05/11
Loc: United States, Indiana
Co-pay and costs
      #260062 - 01/11/12 10:06 PM

First off, I know that there are a lot of people that are in a far worse position than I currently am. I am a recently diagnosed (about 8 months ago) out gay man living in Indiana. My treatment options are fairly broad and I am actually testing with low viral load and high CD4 counts for not having started any treatment. With all of this in mind, however, I am still a little upset.

My doctor prescribed me Atripla about a month ago and, as I type this, I have yet to take one pill. Why is this, you ask? because after my insurance runs, my prescription costs $489. This is for a 30 day supply (the only kind my insurance allows). I could pay for this using my FSA card, but with only $1200 on there, I will burn through that rather quickly. I have applied for and received the Atripla Co-pay card, but that only cuts $200 off. leaving me with a still sizable amount of $289 a month to pay. I have a Care coordinator working on additional options for me, thankfully.

This still upsets me, though. I know that the major reason these drugs are so expensive is because pharmaceutical companies are after money first and helping people second. What kind of world have we created for ourselves where someone cannot readily get the healthcare he or she because of cost? is this not a basic human right? Hopefully I will be able to get my meds soon as a couple of the things my Care Coordinator is looking into are very promising.

If there is anyone else out there that is experiencing the same issues, please contact me, I know of a few Federal things that can help and, depending on where you live, I may know some state ran agencies to put you in touch with.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #260066 - 01/12/12 09:06 AM

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
Re: Co-pay and costs new
      #260072 - 01/12/12 12:29 PM

My problem isn't getting meds , and I'm sooo grateful for that . But I now picked up medicaid as a secondary to my medicare and what a nightmare to find ANY type of doctor that accepts it. I just wanted it to help pick up the cost of Co-Pays. I call medicaid and they tell me this one and that one, I get awhole list of names , but when I call them they tell me they don't participate. I don't get it. A friend of mine had all types of medical help Hip surgery , dental, food stamps ,Home health aids you name it. She doesn't have to do a thing and shes on SSI. Me, I'm on SSD and it can still cost me a small fortune in co-payments. Guess thats living in the GREY ZONE. . Better to be TOTAL poor than just poor.

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

alive2
Guardian

Reged: 03/08/07
      #260074 - 01/12/12 01:02 PM

just to quote, aids2hiv, red tape and hoops.... you have a healthcare person helpping you, they know where to go and what to fill out, adap, and other programs are there to help with the costs that can soar if you dont know where to turn. relax, take a deep breath, scour through the manufactures papers and find the medical cost help and im sure theres a way to not keep you from following your doctors advice. not taking the pills your prescribed may be more harmfull when it comes down to, the real fact, other cost may come into play because you wait on taking them now. what you may prevent by taking pills now just may ofset what you pay later by not following your doctors advice.

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #260109 - 01/13/12 10:28 PM

I completely understand your feelings - it is one of the reasons I left the US years ago; the broken medical care system.

I do have a suggestion: would there be any savings if you took the Atripla meds as Truvada + Stocrin/Sustiva instead? Would having the exact same medications, broken into their 2-pill components be any cheaper, but allow you to have the same ARV benefits?

I ask because I take the Atripla cocktail as Truvada + Stocrin over here. I get them through the Red Cross, and pay about $100USD per month. They are the "real" meds, manufactured in Germany and Australia - exactly the same as they sell in the US, UK, etc. You may try checking to see if there is a program that offers the 2-pill version at a reduced cost.

It's just an idea - I have no idea if it would work. Please let me know if you have any luck!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2703

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3