Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
alive2
Guardian

Reged: 03/08/07
trying to quit smoking
      #256531 - 07/11/11 12:57 PM

since the 4th of july, i have been trying to get myself independent of smoking cigarettes. although i have yet to kick the habit completely, i have been able to cut down.i used to smoke 2 packs a day, but, now im down to half a pack a day.thats a big drop for me.you see i have been doing this since they we only 48 cents a pack.
i had some issues putting them down before, tried pills, patches and other things that didnt work.
its kind of funny how we know we are doing all we can to make ourselves better in health, but yet some of us continue to hinder our health with these things, no matter what our crutch is. being im also trying to better my situation in the health area, i found it high time to do this. the biggest way is going to as much baseball with my son (8) and sit through his games and not smoke, as i dont want to set a bad example for him or his teamates, well its working. 57 lbs of sunflower seeds and a ton of gum. i hope it will work, if not i will try amputating my fingers,lol.
many times i have tried and this time i beleive i will do it. when im done with this move, i will try another thing to improve my health. what it is im not sure yet, but being a human, im sure there has to be another thing to improve my health. it may involve working out again. god knows i have been letting myself go for a couple years, put on a few lbs..
eating right too.
i have recently started to swim again, so this will help me to get to it at a pace i can handle, without burning myself out to the whole thought process of getting out and doing it, instead of just procrastinating about it. i need to do it now, as winter is on the way.
stay healthy my people.take care

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
Re: trying to quit smoking new
      #256535 - 07/11/11 05:17 PM

quitting smoking is hard, but it takes a lot of willpower. like any behavior/habit, you just have to cut it out and get used to life without it. here are some of my tips that have helped me stop for three years.

1) in the beginning, whenever the urge arises, do anything you can to distract yourself. the less you think about it, the better.

2) stay away from people who smoke. and don't even smoke when you drink.

3) go running. once you feel how heavy your lungs are and how hard it is to breathe, you won't want to smoke anymore.

4a) do not treat cigarettes as rewards. they are not rewards. remember how deadly they are and how much they will kill you! you want to live as long as you can!

4b) do not treat cigarettes as ways to relieve stress or make you feel better. do not smoke because you are sad or upset. if you are really trying to quit, you'll only feel worse afterwards.

5) finally, if you slip up and have a cigarette, don't start up again. just continue quitting.

just remember that you don't need cigarettes. less and less people are smoking nowadays, why not you? and once you disassociate yourself from them, you'll slowly stop feeling like you want them. good luck.

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

alive2
Guardian

#256536 - 07/11/11 05:26 PM

good tips. not to mention i really could use my fingers

LostNconfused
Fanatic

Reged: 12/29/10
Loc: Indiana
      #256624 - 07/20/11 11:15 PM

Good luck to you!

I'm also beginning the process to quit smoking. Trying with Chantix. I did quit once for 3 yrs so I know I can do it again and especially now that I need to start meds, my immune system is fighting

One thing I learned when I had stopped were cravings only last 5 minutes so put your mind on something else and it will pass. Not to mention how good I felt when I didn't smoke

CountTheStars

Reged: 07/22/11
Loc: Cincinnati, OH
      #256652 - 07/22/11 04:51 AM

Good Luck! I also need to quit the disgusting, yet very relaxing and de-stressing habit. I found it ironic (being newly diagnosed) that I need to improve my health by quitting smoking, yet it was one of the first things I turned to to calm myself. Chantix is a good pill for quitting but some people have some really strange side-effects (One of the biggest being nightmares). I never experienced that when I took it a few years ago but my brother-in-law had some HORRIBLE nightmares that freaked the crap outta him.
Nonetheless--good luck!

P.S. - try putting a rubber-band around your wrist and snapping it when you get a craving to smoke. the pain of a good snap is less damage than that cigarette.

alive2
Guardian

#256672 - 07/23/11 10:30 AM

good idea, maybe i can snap out of it?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2117

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3