HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
dj1979
Guru

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: rural upstate NY
Hi - haven't been on in a while - QUESTION
      #256264 - 06/21/11 01:00 PM

Okay, so I'm about to start a relationship with a guy who is also HIV+. He and I are both on meds, both undetectable. Do we still need to use protection? What are the risks? I feel like this is a stupid question, but I really need to know.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bartlebyAdministrator
Admin

Reged: 01/19/10
Re: Hi - haven't been on in a while - QUESTION new
      #256265 - 06/21/11 02:13 PM

no, this is actually a great question to ask. the research and opinions are mixed when it comes to unprotected sex with people with undetectable viral loads and on meds. but something to consider and a legitimate concern is superfection.

Here's an answer from one of our experts:

"It is now well established that HIV superinfection can occur. Superinfection means that a person with HIV infection can acquire a second strain of HIV and, as you suggest, it is possible that the second strain may be harmful to your current medical care due to ART drug resistance."

--------------------
Bartleby at The Body
Bulletin Board Administrator

alive2
Guardian

Reged: 03/08/07
      #256278 - 06/22/11 11:27 AM

hey long time, hope all is well. well, for me i have the thought that now that i have hiv, i consider it imperitive to always use the raincoat(condom). no matter the fact of the partner being pos or not. just turn hiv around,it works out (at least for me) to be vih- very important healthwise. its not just hiv we need to think about, there are other problems that could become harmful to our health, not to mention pregnancy too. come around more often.take care

Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
      #256447 - 07/06/11 12:59 PM

This is a question my girlfriend and I are now rassling with; once she is undetectable and healthy, can we toss aside the box of condoms?

We have been doing a lot of reading, and agree that there is a lot of evidence that suggests that if you are undetectable, that you are safe from transmitting it to others. We asked ourselves, do we want to take that risk, especially since we know that we each have a different virus? We have decided not to risk it and to always continue using safety, at least until conclusive and repeatable evidence shows that there is no risk, without question.

The stakes are just too high to take that gamble, but everyone is different. We wish you and your partner the best!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2279

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3