Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
alive2
Guardian

Reged: 03/08/07
treatment starting at higher cd4
      #255519 - 05/06/11 12:09 AM

now that people are being told to start medication at a higher cd 4 number does this pose a bit of apprehencion? will the first prescribed medications last longer? is it a ploy by big pharmacutical companies?
to me i worry when the cdc or reports like this come out, because not only will more people have a need for medications, but, it will burden the system further. and, in my thinking, wouldnt it also lead to more people ending up on adap waiting lists too?
im not sure about most of the people who read these kinds of reports, but, i know it worries me. not for me but those who are already waiting. they have a need for medications, and dont get them, but have to worry because they need them now because of lower numbers, and not higher ones, because they are already waiting.
does anyone here feel the same? is this just a way to make a bigger demand for a reason to raise all medication prices? because the demand will be greater,and the supply lower?
what about the cost for co pays? and what about those who have limits on coverage?
i think we need to have a voice when it comes to voting, if we dont we may just be wondering what we do, is it food or medications?
i hope im worried for nothing, but something in my gut worries me, anyone else?
this is just my thoughts on this, i hope nobody has to make a choice like that. i think we have a duty to vote smart, when we can for those who will be in need next.thinking ahead.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pos_in_Thailand
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/11
Loc: Thailand
Re: treatment starting at higher cd4 new
      #255652 - 05/15/11 03:50 AM

I think it is sound advice - I do not think it is a gimmick or trick. I know that research on monkey models (8+ years ago) that were put on ART (and there were only one or two drugs then) before the disease had really damaged their immune systems, having high CD4 counts, did much better and enjoyed a long, "normal" life. The ones that had been put on the therapy after their CD4's had fallen to low levels and/or were having symptoms of AIDS, typically, did not do as well, usually not rebounding to normal or near-normal marker levels.

When talking to doctors about why treatment was usually held off in humans until CD4's were around 300-350 or until a very high viral load had been reached, I was usually told it was for cost-management reasons, as well as fears that treating earlier might lead to higher incidences of mutations or resistances, etc. They did agree, however, that as long as people adhered strictly to their regimens that those possibilities were pretty nil. Resistances usually occur in people who go on and off meds or have trouble adhering.

Most of the doctors I have talked with, while trying to get my course of action decided and mapped out, for myself, have all said that treating earlier was better, as long as I was committed to adhering to my meds and made positive lifestyle decisions that increased my chances of staying healthy and strong.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 925

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3