HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
trulife
Fanatic

Reged: 12/01/10
Loc: South
Two weeks down and a life time to live
      #253715 - 12/28/10 09:55 PM

Well folks...it's the end of two weeks on Atripla and so far things are going well. Side effects have been limited and are now subsiding. My biggest problem so far is swallowing the pill. I have always had trouble swallowing pills...go figure...a gay man with that problem...lol. I have tried a bunch of different techniques including apple sauce (which really works) and cutting the pill down (which also works), but come hell or high water, I did not and will not miss a dose. I found a website and ordered a product to help with pill swallowing. It is used with children and adults who have difficulty with taking pills. As soon as I receive it, I will let you all know if it works. At first, fear and the unknown were my obstacles, but I kept telling myself that this was my new reality and I will just have to get over my issues and do what I have to do. I have always been the type of person to buckle down when things got tough and focus on what I want out of my life. I know the road will not always be easy, but my faith and my determination will have to get me through the rough times. I am blessed with great support from a great friend and fortunate to have this venue to vent what I feel inside with others who understand. Here's looking forward to the future. Things are not perfect in my world, but why focus on the negative when there is so much to be thankful for and hopeful. Have faith, be strong and live life true.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
jd10

Reged: 12/22/10
Re: Two weeks down and a life time to live new
      #253729 - 12/29/10 04:00 PM

Hi there Trulife. First, thanks for making me smile today haha. My husband also has difficulty swallowing pills but for some reason, he does pretty good when he takes his Atripla with milk. He is not one for having to swallow any kind of pills and if he had to take something, it almost always had to be something chewable. But now, after being on his meds for over a month, he has become a lot more comfortable with it. Just give it a little time and you will start to get more comfortable with it. God Bless you for having such a positive outlook on things. It makes all the difference in the world.
I'll be watching for your next update! Good Luck

Edited by jd10 (12/29/10 04:02 PM)

trulife
Fanatic

#253732 - 12/29/10 07:50 PM

JD ....glad I made you smile. I learned a long time ago that we waste far too much time worrying and stressing over stuff and it is more productive and healthy to face situations and make informed decisions and choices. I can't truthfully say that I am confident 24/7/365, but when I feel myself feeling down or sorry for myself, I just tell myself to man up and pull it together because I have to stay focused. Thank you for your kind words...if you or your husband ever need to reach out, feel free to contact me. Stay strong and live life true.

jd10

#253739 - 12/30/10 02:19 PM

trulife, I really appreciate you. Were not confident 24/7 (can't say 365 yet as he just tested positive in October, but you know what i mean) but like you, when either of us get that that "woe is me" feeling, we just have to find a place to put that becaue it's easy to sink into sadness if you're not careful. Life could always be much worse. Knowing what we need to do to stay healthy and in taking his meds daily, that alond makes me feel like we can now move forward in our life together. Staying focused is what makes all of us successful. No matter what situation we find ourselves in, there is someone out there that has it worse, I promise. When he was first diagnosed, my husband had lost so much weight over the year it was awful. He looked terrible and everyone had their own diagnosis of him, mostly they thought he had cancer. His doctor finally said "you either have HIV or Leukemia" and as crazy as this may sound, I was hoping it was HIV and not the other. So the next week he was tested. Like I said, life could be much worse so I still feel very thankful and blessed that this is all we have to deal with at the moment.
I hope you have a wonderful New Year. Please keep in touch, I enjoy talking with you, you're such a breath of fresh air, so thank you!

trulife
Fanatic

#253746 - 12/30/10 10:25 PM

JD- First of all I want to wish you and your husband a very Happy and Healthy New Year. I have to say we have the same ideaology regarding life's challenges. I guess my experiences throughout my 40+ years on this planet have really influenced my opinions, thoughts and way of being. Without a doubt things can be worse and there are many others who have it worse than us. I have been very fortunate to be very healthy. My only issue was when i converted that I had a bad case of the flu and thought it was swine flu. Never did I imagine that it was HIV. I never lived a wild life style, but HIV doesn't discriminate. My first reaction was shock and fear, but I immediately decided to disclose to my family, my partner and a very close friend. Everyone was very supportive from the beginning and thankfully my partner has tested negative over the last year. I am pretty sure that I know where it came from and now I am focused on me for a change. I have always been the care giver and provider and now I have to really take care of myself. The last year was challenging in many ways...diagnosis, adjustment, the loss of a parent and financial challenges, but I remain determined to continue dusting myself off and picking myself up with pride and dignity. Life has never been easy or disneyland, but it keeps me on my feet and makes it interesting. I love a challenge and it usually brings out the best in me. I have always been a fighter and no matter how many times I get knocked down, I always get up stronger. My eyes are wide open now and I choose to live life true..hence the name trulife. Thank you for your responses, I appreciate it very much. Hope you all have a great year.

pozrunner

Reged: 12/16/10
      #253774 - 01/03/11 05:33 AM

Well I am now three weeks down the line on ATRIPLA and it has been a challenge to say the least, sometimes more for my partner. Like you I try to always see the positive and know that I cannot change many things and therefore acceptance seems to be the best and to get on with life. Had a great holiday but developed a nasty cold and it has really been a major irritation for me.
I developed a really nasty rash on my face two weeks ago and that seems to come and go but has not settled completely and of course can be an issue in public. Then a week ago it started all over my body and was really fierce for a few days but thank goodness it has now started to settle and I hope that it will go away soon. I am just really concerned about my face but guess there is not much else to do about it but treat symptomatically and hope that it will go away completely - today it has flared again!!
Of more concern to me and of course to my partner, is that I continue to lose weight despite eating a lot better and I am hoping to turn that corner soon to start putting on weight again as I have lost about 20 lbs in the last 6 months or so, perhaps due to a combination of factors. I weighed myself recently before I left on holiday on the 23rd and again today and have lost another 2 lbs since then despite a good diet. I will start at the gym in the week and see if I can find a protein supplement to start on.
Otherwise very relieved that the spaced out feeling and the dizziness has now gone too and I am starting to feel normal again!!
Thank goodness I have no problems swallowing the pill, my vitamin pill is about the same size!! Never been an issue for me so that is one blessing.
Now just hoping that I will be able to get some blood parameters done when I visit the US at the end of January to see how things are going!!
Look forward to catching up with you all again and glad that there is also now a chat room available to all of us!!

--------------------
30/11/2010 VL 216 006 CD4 216
Started Atripla Mon 13/12/2010

jd10

#253779 - 01/03/11 11:01 AM

True....Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours!
I certainly agree, I belive we have the similar ideaology in life's challenges. For me, I think it comes with age, being 40+ as well, I have grown up considerably over the years and I feel that being a christian has helped me also. I am with you when you said below about how you found out you were HIV+. My goodness, we thought all that was wrong with my husband was the exact same thing. He had the flu back in December of 09 and even though he got over it, he just didn't go back to his old self. Something was just "off" but we couldn't put our finger on it until back in September/October. NEVER did we imagine it was HIV. We were so shocked. We went through some of the same challenges you mention below. I remember feeling as though I had been punched in the stomach. I could not believe that it was real. I had to go in the same day we got his results and have my blood test. Mine came back negative and I had to go back in 6 weeks for another, it came back negative also. I go back in 6 months for another follow up. Still quite new to most of this, I do have days that I struggle with...My husband does too of course. I have to be careful and not get too caught up in thoughts.
I am so happy you have a committed support system. That is so important. Luckily, we have been able to share with 3 very close and longtime friends and we told my mother as well. I am so thankful to God for us to have people we can share this with as I am sure you are as well. Support is a necessity so we are very fortunate people here. I think now that I am older and more focused on the true importance of life, we become more accepting and understanding at what life throws at us. Being young, I don't know how I would have taken all of this. It would have been a lot harder, only because I think as being a young person, we still take things like this too lightly. You have come a long way True and with that positive attitude you have, you are going to be just fine. I think we both are. I think you speak for both of us when you say your eyes are WIDE open. We are both fighters, ready to take what life is going to give us and just move on with grace and style. It's all good.

still_here
Guardian

Reged: 02/01/06
      #253832 - 01/08/11 10:42 PM

i had the same crazy rash when i started atripla about 6months after is started. it started at my feet & spread all the way to my face... but only on the front half of my body. my ID just looked at it with this puzzled look. it went away on its own after about 2 weeks. didnt itch, hurt or anything, just look weird as hell. ive been on atripla for 5yrs now, & it's never happened again

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2993

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3